Autopsy AFL 2018 - Grand Final - West Coast v Collingwood

Is Rod ...

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said it before but i'll say it again.

Was at the game and both supporter groups were nothing but class from where I was sitting.

There was passion, my god there was passion, the G was as loud as I've heard it. But there was no nastiness whatsoever...

Eagles fans good winners and Pies fans good losers.

What a game.

Gotta say I am a bit over the great GF and how good the supporters were. I have seen Collingwood lose too many GFs to take any solace from the contest. WCE were the best side on the day but we had a good chance to pinch a GF win and didn't. That hurts.

As to the day it was great but GFs between interstate clubs are a bit more sterile. The passion for the win is there but the desire to beat the opposition is diluted. Think that is why the supporters of both clubs were and are so congratulatory to each other. Yes we are big clubs but there is no rivalry there. I am not going to work on Monday after the GF knowing I will cop it from our rivals. It was more sympathy from non participating supporters which I am over.

Truth is losing a GF to WCEs is not as bad as losing one to Carl or Ess or any number of other number of Vic clubs. It's a neat non nasty result. Still cuts to the heart but no begrudging WCE. Feel it's same for them, beating Pies in a GF has no real meaning as we have no rivalry. Winning the GF is massive but the opponent in this case doesn't matter. Beating Freo would be a completely different thing and would become much more fired. Just what a national comp does. If we win one again I would much prefer we beat a Vic club and WCE would prefer Freo.

Apparently we have played the Pies in finals more than any other team. If we don’t have a rivalry, maybe we should. One more grand final will do it ;)
It will come - but there probably has to be some bad blood along the way. There's mutual respect I think and there have been some great finals battles. But I know that there isn't that bitter visceral lizard brain reaction to beating or losing to West Coast. It will develop naturally over a couple of decades provided both teams continue to have great combative finals games.

Gotta say I am a bit over the great GF and how good the supporters were. I have seen Collingwood lose too many GFs to take any solace from the contest. WCE were the best side on the day but we had a good chance to pinch a GF win and didn't. That hurts.

As to the day it was great but GFs between interstate clubs are a bit more sterile. The passion for the win is there but the desire to beat the opposition is diluted. Think that is why the supporters of both clubs were and are so congratulatory to each other. Yes we are big clubs but there is no rivalry there. I am not going to work on Monday after the GF knowing I will cop it from our rivals. It was more sympathy from non participating supporters which I am over.

Truth is losing a GF to WCEs is not as bad as losing one to Carl or Ess or any number of other number of Vic clubs. It's a neat non nasty result. Still cuts to the heart but no begrudging WCE. Feel it's same for them, beating Pies in a GF has no real meaning as we have no rivalry. Winning the GF is massive but the opponent in this case doesn't matter. Beating Freo would be a completely different thing and would become much more fired. Just what a national comp does. If we win one again I would much prefer we beat a Vic club and WCE would prefer Freo.

I wouldn't mind beating Essendon in a GF.

campaigners.

Apparently we have played the Pies in finals more than any other team. If we don’t have a rivalry, maybe we should. One more grand final will do it ;)

It will come - but there probably has to be some bad blood along the way. There's mutual respect I think and there have been some great finals battles. But I know that there isn't that bitter visceral lizard brain reaction to beating or losing to West Coast. It will develop naturally over a couple of decades provided both teams continue to have great combative finals games.

I think there can be some rivalry developed if you have a history of multiple big occasions but it's not the same as the tribal, passionate, all consuming rivalry WCE has with Freo or Collingwood has with Carlton, Essendon, Richmond or Melbourne. Post this GF there has been no banter or mocking to be had from supporters of the premier. Apart from on the day I haven't spoken to a WCE supporter about the GF. I can't think of anyone I know who barracks for WCE here in Melbourne.

I suspect the experience is similar for WCE supporters in WA. No Collingwood supporters locally to get stuck into or lord over. If you were n a GF you want mates or family or work people who barrack for the team you just beat. It's a downside of the national comp when teams from either side of the country play off. It doesn't generate the same feeling.

I think there can be some rivalry developed if you have a history of multiple big occasions but it's not the same as the tribal, passionate, all consuming rivalry WCE has with Freo or Collingwood has with Carlton, Essendon, Richmond or Melbourne. Post this GF there has been no banter or mocking to be had from supporters of the premier. Apart from on the day I haven't spoken to a WCE supporter about the GF. I can't think of anyone I know who barracks for WCE here in Melbourne.

I suspect the experience is similar for WCE supporters in WA. No Collingwood supporters locally to get stuck into or lord over. If you were n a GF you want mates or family or work people who barrack for the team you just beat. It's a downside of the national comp when teams from either side of the country play off. It doesn't generate the same feeling.

Respect your point of view but disagree. And I think it is good for the game when two big clubs like the WCE and Pies clash. The thought of a Pies - Bulldogs / North Melbourne / GWS / Gold Coast GF clash doesn't do a lot for me.

Winning any GF is special. I don't really care who we win against. However, I do have a preference for having a win over;
1. Fremantle (anywhere)
2. Collingwood (at the G) I previously hated the Pies. Having met some of their fans at the game and watching Buckley and Ed cop their loss with style - they're not so bad to me anymore. But would still want to whack them every time we meet.
3. Carlton (anywhere) Can't stand that club - arrogant bunch of losers - tossers.
4. Port Adelaide (at Adelaide Oval) Power to lose is all they have.
5. Adelaide (at Adelaide Oval) Respect them but enjoy beating them.
6. Richmond (at the G) Just love seeing Richmond fans on TV after they have suffered a loss - it' sooooo enjoyable.
7. Essendon (anywhere) Been an average club for a long time now but they think they are an AFL powerhouse - delusional.
8. Hawthorn (at the G) Respect them but enjoy beating them anywhere.
9. Sydney (anywhere) Pinning that booing of Goodes solely on the WCE was the most appalling display of media contrived BS in the last 20 years. Every time they lose - it is something to be celebrated.

The rest ... meh!

Last edited:
Agree.
I've watched it a dozen times. I'm more angry with Langdon not getting up and manning Ryan than a maybe block call that was 50/50 at best. To be honest, on any other day it might have been called but on any other day a dozen or so other calls would have been made and as you say, the game probably wouldn't have been as close. There were still 2 minutes to go after the Sheed goal and Maynard's errant handpass was just as vital as anything that happened previously. The best teams win the biggest moments and make their own luck. That's all there is to it.
You’ve watched it a dozen times? Geez you’re a glutton for punishment. I haven’t watched the 2015 GF replay once.

Essendon are the mugs I would most like to beat as well.

I was there too and everything you said is 100% correct. Both teams and supporters on the day at the ground all class. Well deserved premiers are the eagle fans and club. If only Hawks and Tigers fans take note, and learn both humility in victory and defeat.
My apologies, we were never shown much respect when we were s**t so we figured that’s what everyone wanted back when we won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So proud of the boys, 5 goals down, missing 3 A graders in Gaff, Nic Nat and Sheppard. To come back and fight every way and win the flag makes me and every eagles fan very proud

Actually they delivered last week when the mighty pies kicked tigers arse. Oh we're from tiger...no back to back. Thanks to the mighty pies. Imagine playing a season, having 21 wins straight on the mcg, being pretty much guaranteed a grand final spot and premiership favorites all year only to have it ripped from under you by Collingwood who you beat twice already that year. But tigerssss. Oh wait dusty was injured hahaha. You even had a break too. Lolz. You're not the reigning premier anymore.
Back to 9th with you.

Well done to west coast who thoroughly deserved today, they were the better team all year and today showed it.
Thanks mate, the Pies were mighty as well, they were superb the game could have gone either way all the best for 2019

Loving the SALTS!!!! Yeah baby bring it Richmond flogs bring it!!!

You pathetic losers!!!

Seriously mods need to kick these tossers out.

Well done West Coast. Great comeback from five goals down to win it in the last few minutes. Well deserved.

Commiserations to Collingwood. Really felt for them today. And hopefully they can be up there again next year.
Thanks mate so proud of my boys, I thought we were done after the first 20 minutes. Massive effort to turn it around and fight it out

Can you imagine the pressure on Dom Sheed's kick. No doubt copping an earful from the horde behind him. Dying minutes of the grand final, the biggest game of his life. On an acute angle, kicking from a long way out. It was straight all the way. What a kick. Enjoy the back-slaps Dom, and share them with the boys who got you that kick - McGovern who took the chance to leave the dangerous De Goey on his own to snaffle that clutch mark. The sticky-fingered mark down the wing and the nicely weighted kick. Bravo.

Then to hold on.

I was nervous as hell for both supporters that last quarter.

Well done Eagles fans. What a strange mixture of relief and elation you must have felt when the siren blew!

Bad luck Pies fans. You yelled your guts out and did your part. You'll be back soon.

Great game.
Man the last 1.45 of the final quarter gave me a heart attack so glad we held on mate so proud of the boys

Great Game.

Pies supporters have nightmares about that game and the Giants Prelim. Then they wake up and find out it's not a mare.

Back