Preview AFL 2018 - Preliminary Final - Richmond v Collingwood, MCG, Fri Sept 21st, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevic is the best umpire in the league. Expecting a strong performance in this match and a Grand Final appearance.

Played Round 6 and still got smashed

You blew out the margin late while we had one on the bench in the last quarter. We were leading two minutes before three quarter time, but you padded out the margin in the last against a team that was out of legs and out of rotations.

Given you guys are the champs and the best team in the league, I would've thought you'd be cautious about reading too much into the final margin given you couldn't get on top while it was a level playing field. I certainly wouldn't be beating my chest about running over the top of a wounded animal which I consider inferior to me even when fit. That's not a 'winners' mentality.

The final margin wasn't in any way a reflection of the game. But of course you know that.

Last edited:
News Flash!!!

Game is 4 QUARTERS of footy!!!!!

The game was a TRUE reflection of 4 quarters of footy, simply your mob got blown away when the line was drawn and the game was there to be won

Game is 22 v 22 for 4 quarters.

I know you're favourites. I'm comfortable with that, because I think if we can play our style and keep 22 players fit for the whole game we're a good chance. You're the best side in the league. Of course you're going to smash sides when you've got more men.

The games between our sides this year have demonstrated that we were very competitive with your mob when it was 22 v 22.

Last edited:
You blew out the margin late while we had one on the bench in the last quarter. We were leading two minutes before three quarter time, but you padded out the margin in the last against a team that was out of legs and out of rotations.

Given you guys are the champs and the best team in the league, I would've thought you'd be cautious about reading too much into the final margin given you couldn't get on top while it was a level playing field. I certainly wouldn't be beating my chest about running over the top of a wounded animal which I consider inferior to me even when fit. That's not a 'winners' mentality.

The final margin wasn't in any way a reflection of the game. But of course you know that.
Is there anything you don't sook about it?

Gotta say getting real excited now. Tigers are a really good side threatening to become a great one if they go back to back. Deserving favourites but I think the stars are aligning for Collingwood to put our best foot forward and give this a shake. Think we are at the strongest point we have been for the year currently. Despite the margins blowing out in the previous matches they were good tussles for a long while. Adding DeGoey, Treloar and Howe from the team who lost lat time and hopefully team staying fit through the match might even things a little.

Other thing the AFL has done the last few seasons which to my mind is really wrong is the bye before the finals. There is little advantage in finishing top and winning the QF in our system anyway. By the time the QF winner gets to the prelim the only 2 advantages they had was possible home ground and a week rest against an opponent who had possibly gone through 2 tough finals. Now the team who comes through the semis has a week off and then two finals which I reckon is a better path to the PF. Losing the advantage of the only team rested is a clear loss to the QF winner but I reckon most coaches would prefer a week off then play two matches rather than rest, play, rest.

It probably won't matter in the end and the AFL will get away with it probably because the QF winners are usaually the better team and the loss of this advantage won't tip the scales enough. Still if the Tigers of WCE lose on the weekend I reckon they have a right to be dirty.

So far in the 4 PFs played in this system the QF winners have lost twice which is above the norm. If this occurs again this season questions should be asked.

Had a quick look back at the 4 seasons prior to the change and 7 of 8 times the QF winners won their PF which is about what it should be for mine.

You copped injuries in the 2nd game as well, odds on one of your papier-mâché built players will not be able to finish the game again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started a thread not that long ago calling for injury subs for finals, anyone subbed off was to be ineligible the following week to stop it being used as a tactic, wasn't well received.

Omg. I had a big day yesterday and as usual didn’t proof read my post, glad you made sense of it.

I’m not sure subbed players missing out the next week, because the subbed player misses an opportunity to play the next week if he proves himself by playing really well. What l would suggest is to have 4 interchange and 2 subs or better yet just 2 interchange and 2 subs. The couches could use the subs to freshen up the team if he wanted to, it would make tactics and changers more substantial/meaningful. But the biggest benefit is to teams who are unlucky to have two early injuries, with this system they are not punished and we still get a good game. Which in the end is what every fan wants.

You copped injuries in the 2nd game as well, odds on one of your papier-mâché built players will not be able to finish the game again.

That's definitely a possibility.
I'm hopeful it won't happen, because although you're undoubtedly the best in the comp, I think we match you up well and are a strong chance.

Hopefully no injuries for either side and it's the prelim the gigantic crowd deserves.

Other thing the AFL has done the last few seasons which to my mind is really wrong is the bye before the finals. There is little advantage in finishing top and winning the QF in our system anyway. By the time the QF winner gets to the prelim the only 2 advantages they had was possible home ground and a week rest against an opponent who had possibly gone through 2 tough finals.
Anyone who has to put up with Collingwood supporters deserves an extra week off.

I have a bad feeling this game will be over by 1/4 time.
Not entirely sure which way either.
Mark it down.
Excellent. We get to enjoy 3 whole quarters of this.

BirxZc6CEAEqZEQ.jpg

But they didn't fall your way. Perennial losers.
This is funny.

Perennial losers for having the most ever wins in the history of the competition, one of the highest winning percentages, the most finals appearances and all the GF appearance. Supporters of a club that was irrelevant for 30 odd years is calling Collingwood perennial losers. How’s that for BF?

the game has 4 quarters and you couldn't run them out
that's what the evidence shows
anything else is speculation and excuses
we train for 4 quarters, maybe you guys should too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back