Preview AFL 2018 - Preliminary Final - West Coast v Melbourne, Optus Stadium, Sat, Sept 22, 1.20pm WST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know that Jeremy McGovrn is from Albany at the southern most tip of Western Australia.Away from football Jeremy enjoys wearing singlets,digging holes and checking his bank account statments.

From my home town

I saw him as 15 year old playing colts .....I said to a mate he will play AFL ONE DAY ..

I was in the bar with a few mates ....and everyone to a tee laughed......yeah no one laughing now ....

I remember that moment ....few mates texted me and said you were right ....

He was a lump of lad.....still is but he the best hands I’ve seen marking the ball .........as a 15 year old he would put most Afl players to shame

Ripping people too ...all of his family ..the million per season won’t change him

I see the logic.

However to basucally call the Wa umpires cheats is poor....not you ..the league is pathetic.
I havent seen or heard what your refering to from the afl, i thought i just put up a possible reason for part of the alleged bias. And that would be afl wide in mixing umpires and teams up not wa alone. As for the home ground and crowd advantage, umpires will always be swayed. Human nature.

I havent seen or heard what your refering to from the afl, i thought i just put up a possible reason for part of the alleged bias. And that would be afl wide in mixing umpires and teams up not wa alone. As for the home ground and crowd advantage, umpires will always be swayed. Human nature.

Yup .....I jus think it sends the wrong message totally

Pick the best three no matter where they are from

Did you know that Jeremy McGovrn is from Albany at the southern most tip of Western Australia.Away from football Jeremy enjoys wearing singlets,digging holes and checking his bank account statments.

Digressing his father Andrew:
Dad is Andrew McGovern, formerly a defender for Sydney and Fremantle, by then working for Clontarf, the academy that nurtures young, disadvantaged Indigenous men through the agency of AFL and rugby league in 68 schools around Australia. McGovern snr was on rotation at Warburton. Know where that is?
https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...479d300!8m2!3d-26.1352581!4d126.5782945?hl=en

His son persevered; what else was he to do at Warburton? "Every now and then, I'd sit back and watch how the Indigenous boys up there played footy," he said. "I'd try to mimic how they were doing it. They were so good. They're just natural footballers up there. They don't get taught. There's not too many football people up there. They have to figure it out for themselves."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...tting-of-football-wisdom-20151001-gjyuz3.html

Interesting life experiences.

Roger that !! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

The AFL yesterday told The West Australian just 2800 of the 53,000 tickets had been sold to Melbourne members.

The 5 per cent was on par with the percentage bought by travelling fans to other interstate finals, the AFL said.

Tickets for Saturday afternoon’s blockbuster were sold out yesterday. The AFL said if further tickets became available, they would be released on Ticketmaster at 2pm tomorrow.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...tus-stadium-sabotage-plot-fails-ng-b88964191z

Anyone know the seats @ the G offered to competing club members?
Not sure with prelims, is it just general admittance first in best dressed? Never had to worry about it for the past 12 years. I know geelong have to allocate tickets to opposition fans when they play at gmhba even during the home and away.
Perhaps its more to do with stadium size and the size of clubs member base and average home crowd. At the mcg opposition fans aren't going to miss out but at the smaller stadiums and the size of eagles supporter base its needed. I've wondered in the past if all of west coasts members turned up for a game would the stadium hold them, do you limit memberships making a wait list or something?

Yup .....I jus think it sends the wrong message totally

Pick the best three no matter where they are from

I actually wouldn't be against having 3 umpires for QLD, TAS or NSW if they are good enough. Having said that just because there from Victoria it doesn't mean there pro Melbourne (ie: one could be a Hawks supporter with an Axe to grind).

WC have a distinct home ground advantage in the H&A season and also in the finals if they qualify for home finals.

This advantage is outweighed by the disadvantage of the GF being played at the MCG. It's not easy to come up with a workable solution to this though. Playing at a neutral venue or the home venue of the higher finishing side are not better ideas IMO.

The way WC supporters carry on in a ridiculous partisan manner makes it impossible to have any sympathy for any net disadvantage they experience.

I've been to away matches in Adelaide vs both Adelaide and Port and their supporters were very passionate but appropriate and reasonable.
Eagles have played six grand finals won three lost three. I give us a 50/50 chance as does history in grand finals.
Western Australia generally has a different vision of a national football league than just an insular Victorian vision.

Not sure with prelims, is it just general admittance first in best dressed? Never had to worry about it for the past 12 years. I know geelong have to allocate tickets to opposition fans when they play at gmhba even during the home and away.
Perhaps its more to do with stadium size and the size of clubs member base and average home crowd. At the mcg opposition fans aren't going to miss out but at the smaller stadiums and the size of eagles supporter base its needed. I've wondered in the past if all of west coasts members turned up for a game would the stadium hold them, do you limit memberships making a wait list or something?

Got a waiting list, believe its 15k & they all pay to be there .. think MCC membership model.

Both the Dockers & the Eagles were capped at 50k reserved seats (H&A) at the new venue (capacity 60k).
Not sure on the mix of 11 game versus 3 or 5(?) game members.

Finals are managed by the AFL, & I understand its the same rules for all, but it seems 53k were offered initially for the Prelim, equally to both clubs. 53k is close to 90% whereas the G has so many free loaders ( cricket club, AFL members, Medallion Club, who knows who else ... ) so competing clubs battle to get 40k or 40%

FA Cup Final locked into Wembley stadium which is currently the home stadium of Tottenham Hotspur.

I am pretty sure back in the mid 90's and previous that Collingwood and Hawthorn didn't complain about having to play finals on the MCG (when it was only Melbourne and Richmonds home ground).

Good try but that is a no as Wembley is a temporary ground whilst their new stadium is being built. No cigar for you.

You do understand that Collingwood and Hawthorn now play their home games at the G and they are Melbourne based clubs. Surely you are not an idiot are you?

Will love the tears should West Coast defeat Melbourne. All sorts of excuses will come out.

Thats easy, etihad had a contract to play a certain amount games there. Hawthorn's home is the mcg, its better playing an interstate team for hawthorn because its still a bit of an advantage. Melbourne had to play st kilda at Etihad in the past as our home game. You played north in tassy because it was scheduled there. It makes sense to play interstate teams for north because they draw less people. So north make money off tassy, play a team that has few supporters in Melbourne and get to play another team at home who's going to add more crowd. Melbourne do it with nt too. I think it was adelaide and freo this year, and i bet it will be interstate teams again next year.
Now lets talk about the prelim, theres other threads dedicated to that.

So why not program games like Richmond vs Collingwood at Etihad so non-Victorian clubs can get better access to the G, which is where Victorian finals are played? You know so the competition has integrity.

Why should Adelaide have to play a Melbourne home game in Darwin or Alice Springs rather than the G?

Eagles have played six grand finals won three lost three. I give us a 50/50 chance as does history in grand finals.
Western Australia generally has a different vision of a national football league than just an insular Victorian vision.

As a Melbourne resident Eagles fan let me tell you that to near on all Victorians its the rest of Aus with an insular view, & very definitely WA.
It cuts both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good try but that is a no as Wembley is a temporary ground whilst their new stadium is being built. No cigar for you.

You do understand that Collingwood and Hawthorn now play their home games at the G and they are Melbourne based clubs. Surely you are not an idiot are you?

Will love the tears should West Coast defeat Melbourne. All sorts of excuses will come out.
lol.

No Melbourne supporters are having a sook about going to Perth.

It is the West Coast supporters sooking about the grand final venue when you haven't even made it yet. Not to mention already sooking about the Victorian bias with umps.

Your all gearing yourself up with excuses for when you lose either this week or next.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

lol.

No Melbourne supporters are having a sook about going to Perth.

It is the West Coast supporters sooking about the grand final venue when you haven't even made it yet. Not to mention already sooking about the Victorian bias with umps.

Your all gearing yourself up with excuses for when you lose either this week or next.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's not necessarily the venue of the grand final, because the main reason the G was selected was due to the capacity. Most fans understand this.

It's the fact that the AFL just outright refuses to give us any experience at the venue. We play the Hawks at Etihad when that game could've easily have been played at the G. We've played in Tasmania despite already having travelled almost double the amount of some Victorian teams. I know for a fact that part of the reason Worsfold took the Essendon job was because they are a vic based team and he didn't want to have to deal with the travel load again. Players like Xavier Ellis have outright confirmed that it is in fact a massive advantage, claiming that he walked to the G in the grand finals he played for hawthorn, compared to his experience with the eagles in 2015. Eagles players in 2015 had to spend into the thousands trying to fly their families over and find them accommodation, while Vic teams simply have to cope with a bit more traffic on Wellington parade.

Then we have posters like yourself who don't even concede that maybe it is an advantage, you just outright deny it based on nothing but bias and agenda. That's what's frustrating.

As a Melbourne resident Eagles fan let me tell you that to near on all Victorians its the rest of Aus with an insular view, & very definitely WA.
It cuts both ways.

Victoria or specifically Melbourne is an interesting place.
There was a time in the 1890's when Melbourne was one of the richest most cosmopolitan citys in the world on a par with Paris,New York but that faded.There was a time when Melbourne was Australias capital but they lost that.
The view of Melbourne is that they hang on to traditions and are very insular .Where as Western Australians have vaster horizons larger vistas ,walk taller and are out ward looking and bigger in our scale of future vision for the state.
We think of Victorians as listening to skyhooks records on their turntables because they are Victorian,voting for Julia Gillard because she is Victorian,having Derrick and Buzzo as the top radio show because they are Victorian.Giving a huthump in agreement when failed irralevant cricketers Hodgie and Nannis say WA cheats at cricket.Rather than being realistic and taking on a challenge instead of trying to drag it back a level or two.Just a different mindset.
I think it would be a great thing if every team in the AFL started the season with the chance of hosting a grand final whereas Melbourne the city would see that as having something taken away from them.

Got a waiting list, believe its 15k & they all pay to be there .. think MCC membership model.

Both the Dockers & the Eagles were capped at 50k reserved seats (H&A) at the new venue (capacity 60k).
Not sure on the mix of 11 game versus 3 or 5(?) game members.

Finals are managed by the AFL, & I understand its the same rules for all, but it seems 53k were offered initially for the Prelim, equally to both clubs. 53k is close to 90% whereas the G has so many free loaders ( cricket club, AFL members, Medallion Club, who knows who else ... ) so competing clubs battle to get 40k or 40%
Equally to both clubs a bit of a slap in your members face. I know its melbourne and only had a few thousand, but what if you were to play freo in a final and it was your home game because you finished higher. You pay extra for the finals seats its your home game I'd be pissed if i missed a ticket and it was split 50/50.
So why not program games like Richmond vs Collingwood at Etihad so non-Victorian clubs can get better access to the G, which is where Victorian finals are played? You know so the competition has integrity.

Why should Adelaide have to play a Melbourne home game in Darwin or Alice Springs rather than the G?
Richmond v Collingwood, That would be a bigger than average crowd which (i dont know for sure but assume) would make richmond more money at the mcg. So they play interstate teams in these slots because they normally draw smaller crowds and receive a financial benefit from the afl. The team can increase profit from playing home state teams at their home ground while pocketing the financial aid from the moved game. How many games did western bulldogs play at the mcg, was it a similar number? I hated the nt games to begin with as we lose home ground advantage, maybe we can get better there but its not like north in tassy where they know how the wind affects the game. We lose 2 games at the mcg, maybe if it concerns interstate clubs they could sell one of their home games and play at the mcg. Because its still our home game, why should we be put in a worse financial position because the away team want to pick where they play its away game?
it did

but also our other tall defender started running around like a headless chicken for some reason that i still haven't quite figured out
They were running around looking for this kid with all this hype around him and even talked about being in afl hall of fame himself, they were running everywhere looking for him until simpson pointed out at 3qtr time it was petracca who was in poor form. Then they were busy laughing and and joking and forgot to defend after you took the lead. It was all part of his unbelievable football smarts which he predicted when his dog bit him, he was playing possum for half the year only to fool you into a loss. Since then has been outstanding. Afl hall of fame.

Edit. As you can see I've given up on this thread talking about the game. May as well embrace it.

Richmond v Collingwood, That would be a bigger than average crowd which (i dont know for sure but assume) would make richmond more money at the mcg. So they play interstate teams in these slots because they normally draw smaller crowds and receive a financial benefit from the afl. The team can increase profit from playing home state teams at their home ground while pocketing the financial aid from the moved game. How many games did western bulldogs play at the mcg, was it a similar number? I hated the nt games to begin with as we lose home ground advantage, maybe we can get better there but its not like north in tassy where they know how the wind affects the game. We lose 2 games at the mcg, maybe if it concerns interstate clubs they could sell one of their home games and play at the mcg. Because its still our home game, why should we be put in a worse financial position because the away team want to pick where they play its away game?

Seriously, we already play 10 games aways from home - thats 10 actual games away from home - not playing teams with which we share grounds with.

Truly unbelieveable.

Lets not both about integrity of the competition.

Any rate, go the West Coasters!

Victoria or specifically Melbourne is an interesting place.
There was a time in the 1890's when Melbourne was one of the richest most cosmopolitan citys in the world on a par with Paris,New York but that faded.There was a time when Melbourne was Australias capital but they lost that.
The view of Melbourne is that they hang on to traditions and are very insular .Where as Western Australians have vaster horizons larger vistas ,walk taller and are out ward looking and bigger in our scale of future vision for the state.
We think of Victorians as listening to skyhooks records on their turntables because they are Victorian,voting for Julia Gillard because she is Victorian,having Derrick and Buzzo as the top radio show because they are Victorian.Giving a huthump in agreement when failed irralevant cricketers Hodgie and Nannis say WA cheats at cricket.Rather than being realistic and taking on a challenge instead of trying to drag it back a level or two.Just a different mindset.
I think it would be a great thing if every team in the AFL started the season with the chance of hosting a grand final whereas Melbourne the city would see that as having something taken away from them.

You've got so many screws missing that it's quite concerning.

I think too much emphasis gets put on experience playing at grounds.

We have a 8-5 (was 6-5 before the season) record at the G but a 6-1 record interstate this season. Add we are 3-1 at Etihad & GMHBA stadium.

I have felt more confident about us playing away from the MCG rather than at it.

You might be dead on the Toby Greene Kung-fu championship prize money there.

Or, perhaps it's easier for teams to execute their gameplan correctly on smaller grounds than the MCG.

After I typed that, I remembered that Richmond struggles away from home.

Maybe it depends on the gameplan.

If so, every team should go for something that works at the G but can be executed on smaller grounds, if possible.

Seriously, we already play 10 games aways from home - thats 10 actual games away from home - not playing teams with which we share grounds with.

Truly unbelieveable.

Lets not both about integrity of the competition.

Any rate, go the West Coasters!
You want to dictate where you play your away games at the detriment of the home team. Why should the home team be forced to play a team that normally makes a profit in a moved game and play an interstate team that can lose money to accommodate the away teams wants. When the only teams that sell games are doing it for financial reasons. Why should these clubs not be maximizing return?
While travelling more than vic teams for away games is a draw back for interstate teams, you also have a rather large advantage of not sharing with a number of other clubs. Thats quite an advantage you're overlooking. West coast got a win over the tigers at domain this year, you think richmond were disadvantaged equally playing the other mcg tenants because they had an (a) next to their name?
When you play port do you think your less of a chance when you listed second?
Do you think west coast would have finished second sharing 2 grounds between 8.5 teams earning the week off and 2 home finals?
You want to disadvantage other clubs because you want another advantage over victorian clubs that are already disadvantaged by having to sell off a home game. Integrity.
I just had a great idea, if it means that much and is the reason you didnt win the premiership, why dont adelaide buy our nt deal out and pay us and play at the mcg. We still get the financial benefit and you get your game at the mcg
It sucks that you were the better team last year but played the grand final at richmonds home ground, but what other stadium could realistically hold the grand final?
Do you think if gold coast won the right to host it would be just as special in front of what 25,000 at metricon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back