Preview AFL 2018 - Preliminary Final - West Coast v Melbourne, Optus Stadium, Sat, Sept 22, 1.20pm WST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I typed that, I remembered that Richmond struggles away from home.

Maybe it depends on the gameplan.

If so, every team should go for something that works at the G but can be executed on smaller grounds, if possible.
Thing is if you're a team who plays on another ground you need to win enough games to make finals as you only play like 2 games a year at MCG

Thats easy, etihad had a contract to play a certain amount games there. Hawthorn's home is the mcg, its better playing an interstate team for hawthorn because its still a bit of an advantage. Melbourne had to play st kilda at Etihad in the past as our home game. You played north in tassy because it was scheduled there. It makes sense to play interstate teams for north because they draw less people. So north make money off tassy, play a team that has few supporters in Melbourne and get to play another team at home who's going to add more crowd. Melbourne do it with nt too. I think it was adelaide and freo this year, and i bet it will be interstate teams again next year.
Now lets talk about the prelim, theres other threads dedicated to that.
You can't have it all your way though. Afl has to step in and say no lose a few attendees for the benefit of the league

Eagles have played six grand finals won three lost three. I give us a 50/50 chance as does history in grand finals.
Western Australia generally has a different vision of a national football league than just an insular Victorian vision.

It's not a vision though. You're trying to compensate for something. The Vic media talks up (and admittedly barracks for) Victorian sides. You cry about balanced coverage and yet commentators and journalists from WA and SA are similarly (if not more) biased towards their home state. You call for a more national league and hyperventilate about Victoria and Victorian coverage whilst completely ignoring your own state's blind coverage and support for local teams, not to mention the home advantage you have, which is tenfold what any Victorian team has at the MCG.

The difference between Victoria and WA is that we actually are quite national and worldly down here: we support our own but also respect the best regardless of location. Do you really think that in a city of 5 million people, the media here is going to walk more about the second placed West Coast, or the 5th placed Melbourne. Get real mate. This is the big smoke. Deal with it.

That Melbourne winning would be a "fairytale" is a reflection of the competition: it would be a fairytale to beat West Coast in Perth.

You all think we attack and hate interstate teams. That couldn't be further from the truth. We like beating you because you're always at the top. The roar is just loader because, you know, we are a media hub with national coverage. You're just too isolated and one eyed to realise it.

You don't even realise that carrying on the way you all do about Victoria undermines your achievements. Oh, we don't like your booing? Then boo louder. Stop carrying on like there's some conspiracy against you.

So why not program games like Richmond vs Collingwood at Etihad so non-Victorian clubs can get better access to the G, which is where Victorian finals are played? You know so the competition has integrity.

Why should Adelaide have to play a Melbourne home game in Darwin or Alice Springs rather than the G?
About 8 weeks ago...

Wce v north in tassie
Port v somone in ballarat...(vic side)

MCG WAS free .....
The fixtures are a joke....

Digressing his father Andrew:
Dad is Andrew McGovern, formerly a defender for Sydney and Fremantle, by then working for Clontarf, the academy that nurtures young, disadvantaged Indigenous men through the agency of AFL and rugby league in 68 schools around Australia. McGovern snr was on rotation at Warburton. Know where that is?
https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...479d300!8m2!3d-26.1352581!4d126.5782945?hl=en

His son persevered; what else was he to do at Warburton? "Every now and then, I'd sit back and watch how the Indigenous boys up there played footy," he said. "I'd try to mimic how they were doing it. They were so good. They're just natural footballers up there. They don't get taught. There's not too many football people up there. They have to figure it out for themselves."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...tting-of-football-wisdom-20151001-gjyuz3.html

Interesting life experiences.
I've met andrew a few times ...

Met a lot of the clontarf kids also. Great program using AFL...

AFl contrubution to this program....$0.......if this was a Victorian idea they would pour millions into it.

It's not a vision though. You're trying to compensate for something. The Vic media talks up (and admittedly barracks for) Victorian sides. You cry about balanced coverage and yet commentators and journalists from WA and SA are similarly (if not more) biased towards their home state. You call for a more national league and hyperventilate about Victoria and Victorian coverage whilst completely ignoring your own state's blind coverage and support for local teams, not to mention the home advantage you have, which is tenfold what any Victorian team has at the MCG.

The difference between Victoria and WA is that we actually are quite national and worldly down here: we support our own but also respect the best regardless of location. Do you really think that in a city of 5 million people, the media here is going to walk more about the second placed West Coast, or the 5th placed Melbourne. Get real mate. This is the big smoke. Deal with it.

That Melbourne winning would be a "fairytale" is a reflection of the competition: it would be a fairytale to beat West Coast in Perth.

You all think we attack and hate interstate teams. That couldn't be further from the truth. We like beating you because you're always at the top. The roar is just loader because, you know, we are a media hub with national coverage. You're just too isolated and one eyed to realise it.

You don't even realise that carrying on the way you all do about Victoria undermines your achievements. Oh, we don't like your booing? Then boo louder. Stop carrying on like there's some conspiracy against you.
Melbourne winning would be s**t

They have not earned it...

About 8 weeks ago...

Wce v north in tassie
Port v somone in ballarat...(vic side)

MCG WAS free .....
The fixtures are a joke....
Again its that teams right to sell the location of their home game. They are doing it to make much needed profit. It was bulldogs in ballarat. Home ground Etihad. Why should they play port at a neutral ground to give port an away game at a location thats not their home and get no financial benefit, in fact would probably lose money with stadium costs and the nature of low drawing interstate crowds.
Exactly the same for north.
As a Melbourne supporter i think we should get more finals experience at the mcg in case we win through to the grand final. Prelims should be played at the mcg. West coast should host at the mch. Fixtures a joke. Thats the same as w.b and north scenario.

If interstate clubs feel they're getting dudded as much as their supporters do, if i were an official at melbourne i would be hitting these clubs up with the offer of buying the mcg as the sold home game. The afl allowed port to do it with gold coast in china. This way we make or profit, and you get your mcg game.

They were running around looking for this kid with all this hype around him and even talked about being in afl hall of fame himself, they were running everywhere looking for him until simpson pointed out at 3qtr time it was petracca who was in poor form. Then they were busy laughing and and joking and forgot to defend after you took the lead. It was all part of his unbelievable football smarts which he predicted when his dog bit him, he was playing possum for half the year only to fool you into a loss. Since then has been outstanding. Afl hall of fame.

what?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again its that teams right to sell the location of their home game. They are doing it to make much needed profit. It was bulldogs in ballarat. Home ground Etihad. Why should they play port at a neutral ground to give port an away game at a location thats not their home and get no financial benefit, in fact would probably lose money with stadium costs and the nature of low drawing interstate crowds.
Exactly the same for north.
As a Melbourne supporter i think we should get more finals experience at the mcg in case we win through to the grand final. Prelims should be played at the mcg. West coast should host at the mch. Fixtures a joke. Thats the same as w.b and north scenario.
The mcg is often empty ...its a joke

Aside from not earning a home final against us by finishing 3 spots lower with a easier draw, would you at least agree to letting us WC supporters appear on the big screen from Yagan square?

You have had one good year.

That's a fact you cant argue.

All this crap about fairytail and so on. Sorry ptffff...

It's great you are playing in a prelim...thats it

There's no prerequisite to "deserve" being this deep in the finals.

Having one good year is irrelevant, it's a credit to this young Melbourne team to be winning big finals games without having prior experience.

You may now continue on being the lemon that you are.

I agree mostly however what WA commentators are on national TV? I know BT and Bradshaw, for example, are WA born but they certainly don't barrack for WA teams. Certainly The West newspaper is WA biased though they do have pretty good coverage of other teams (a result of having two teams in town).

As for home ground advantage I really don't get this - we play 50% of our games interstate but most of your 'away' games are played either at the MCG or Etihad (14 out of 23 this year). The players don't need to travel (other than by car) and get to sleep in the same bed at home and have the same access to supporters should they choose to go to 'away' games.

There's no prerequisite to "deserve" being this deep in the finals.

Having one good year is irrelevant, it's a credit to this young Melbourne team to be winning big finals games without having prior experience.

You may now continue on being the lemon that you are.
...agree but one good year..

That's my view....lemon lol booooooo....

Seriously your club has had o one good season.

Why is it so deserving?

I agree mostly however what WA commentators are on national TV? I know BT and Bradshaw, for example, are WA born but they certainly don't barrack for WA teams. Certainly The West newspaper is WA biased though they do have pretty good coverage of other teams (a result of having two teams in town).

As for home ground advantage I really don't get this - we play 50% of our games interstate but most of your 'away' games are played either at the MCG or Etihad (14 out of 23 this year). The players don't need to travel (other than by car) and get to sleep in the same bed at home and have the same access to supporters should they choose to go to 'away' games.

Todays west

3 articles on Melbourne
2 articles on west coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back