Match Details
Broadcast
  • FTA - 7/7HD Vic, SA. 7mate QLD
  • STV - Foxsports 3
  • Streaming: Foxtel Go! Foxtel Now! Watchafl
  • Mobile: AFL Live app, Watachafl
Team News

Melbourne

MELBOURNE has finalised its round one team, naming Jake Melksham, Mitch Hannan, Corey Maynard and Josh Wagner on its interchange for Sunday’s clash against Geelong Cats at the MCG.

Angus Brayshaw, Dom Tyson, Sam Frost and Tom Bugg are the emergencies.

On Thursday night, Melbourne confirmed it would unveil two new players: Jake Lever and Bayley Fritsch.

Lever, who played 56 games with Adelaide Crows from 2015-17, was one of the biggest names to switch clubs over the off-season. The 22-year-old, originally from Romsey/Calder Cannons, was a member of last year’s All-Australian squad. He looms as an integral member of Melbourne’s long-term future.

Fritsch was recruited by Melbourne at No.31 in last year’s NAB AFL Draft.

Originally from Coldstream, Fritsch had an outstanding season with the Casey Demons last year, kicking 42 goals and winning the Fothergill-Round Medal for the VFL’s best young player.

Reigning best and fairest winner, Clayton Oliver, who signed a new contract on Thursday, will play after suffering a bruised knee during the recent JLT Community Series.

Nathan Jones (back), Jordan Lewis (calf), Alex Neal-Bullen (quadriceps) and James Harmes (concussion) have all overcome recent setbacks and have been selected.

Four players from Melbourne’s most recent match for premiership points – its round 23 loss to Collingwood last year – are missing from its season-opener. They are Tom McDonald (foot), Jack Watts (now at Port Adelaide), Brayshaw and Tyson, who are both emergencies.

Geelong

The Cats named a 26-man squad on Thursday night headlined by new recruit Gary Ablett Jnr as well as four potential debutants in Tim Kelly, Charlie Constable, Esava Ratugolea and Lachie Fogarty.

The Cats will have three debutants on Sunday with Lachie Fogarty, Tim Kelly and Esava Ratugolea all to play their first game.

The Cats will also welcome back Gary Ablett for his first game for the blue and white since 2010 and Cory Gregson’s first since 2016.

This Geelong outfit is laughably overrated.
The ironic thing about this situation is Melbourne should win this game. Which makes me want to put my house on Geelong.

Genuinely curious to see what the Dee's dish out today. Will say a lot about this playing group.

This Geelong outfit is laughably overrated.
The ironic thing about this situation is Melbourne should win this game. Which makes me want to put my house on Geelong.

Genuinely curious to see what the Dee's dish out today. Will say a lot about this playing group.

Just looked at the odds and my heart sank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game of the Round in my opinion.

I rate Geelong's three debutantes Ratugolea, Fogarty and especially Kelly.

Hmm, I may go with Melbourne by 12 points, but would not be surprised if Geelong get up.

Clearly you are just a delusional melb supporter trying to downplay the incident and dismiss how well we played that day by saying the MFC were tanking
You played well against 2011 Melbourne, congratulations. I seem to remember a different result last time you had a player milestone game against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back