AFL 2018 R21: Essendon v St Kilda - 19:50 AEST, Aug 10, 2018. Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Subi undefeated this year with a percentage around 200.
Anyone who trots this stuff out needs to get to more state league games.
Carlton would beat Subi or any State league teams by 10 goals without even getting out of second gear. The gap is ginormous between AFL and the next tiers

That's his position.

The coaching staff at tullamarine were hallucinating when they were suggesting he was a midfielder.
Oh you want to be civilized again Teffy?

How's your Messiah going?
Cult of Ross?
Still using the old Sydney rope-a-dope game-plan.
How's that working for you?

Happy with my mob matey - most had us pegged for the bottom 4 this season, even with our s**t injury list this year we have progressed and shown we have a pretty decent list with talent and depth.

Only one team each year can win a flag.
Pies have shown patience with Buckley and he has developed as a coach whilst rebuilding his own team.
Even in our worst seasons under Buckley we have remained competitive and had at least 9 wins for the season.
I suppose you would have sacked Clarkson when he was learning how to be a senior coach too - after only 5 wins and 9 wins in his first two seasons coaching at the Hawks.

As for developing your own brand of footy, a lot of that is determined by what players you have on your list and their respective strengths and weaknesses.
Hardwick admitted to developing his game plan as a NAB Cup experiment because he only had one key forward.
Pagan developed Pagans Paddock because he had Carey.

Richo still has a young side with a lot of inexperienced players and bugger all leaders so the brand of footy is still a work in progress. Just started a rebuild.
As I say, rock and a hard place - they have given him an extension, get all of the periphal and support staff sorted out, give him anither year and then evaluate it. See if he has been coaching with one hand tied behind his back. Madness to pay him out unless there is an experienced coach as a ready made replacement. Even then you'd be starting all over again.
Saints had I think 6 or 8 first year players playing tonight?
Season is a write off for them, let the new management team have free reign to reinvigorate and reshape the club.

What does Fremantle and it's problems have to do with anything I said? You are taking what I said and trying to put words in my post.

Such a petulant response.

Has Collingwood beaten any top 8 teams other than Melbourne? No. So I don't think using Buckley as an example for keeping on an under performing coach is relevant to the St Kilda discussion.

Buckley MAY in fact get you to finals this year but let's not pretend like he is a shining example of coaching. As for your Clarkson comment, it is just another immature remark from you.

Clarkson showed he could coach in his first 2 years, you don't sack a coach withing the first 2 years unless you are Neeld / Watters level of incompetence. Richardson has been coach since 2014 and this year has been a disaster when they were supposed to be challenging for the 8.

It is nothing like Richmond who constantly improved and made finals before the 2016 post season review. Just looking at what the current premier is doing and copying it is no guarantee for success, I have seen it with our 2016 season where we tried to play more like Hawthorn (bringing in Hale and Guerra) and we didn't have the cattle to execute.

It will be interesting to see where St Kilda go from here, it's hard to see him being the right man for the job. St Kilda as a club have been rebuilding since 2011. Has he earned the right to see out his contract til 2020?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee the media flogfest about the Bombers still being a chance to make the finals is cringeworthy.
A lot of things need to go right to be even a remote chance.

Same as the Crows...…..no chance
Anything to keep people interested enough to watch I guess
It’s called televised engagement.
They don’t want people turning off any of Essendons remaining games due to strong viewing presence. It would be a ratings disaster and advertisers would be shitty. There’s money at stake.

I realise it might not be palatable to listen to but there’s a reason for it.

Try not to view it through your bias.

It’s called televised engagement.
They don’t want people turning off any of Essendons remaining games due to strong viewing presence. It would be a ratings disaster and advertisers would be shitty. There’s money at stake.

I realise it might not be palatable to listen to but there’s a reason for it.

Try not to view it through your bias.

That’s my point......today it is Ess, tomorrow it will be Crows.

It’s shameless.....no different than click bait when you think about it.

What does Fremantle and it's problems have to do with anything I said? You are taking what I said and trying to put words in my post.

Such a petulant response.

Has Collingwood beaten any top 8 teams other than Melbourne? No. So I don't think using Buckley as an example for keeping on an under performing coach is relevant to the St Kilda discussion.

Buckley MAY in fact get you to finals this year but let's not pretend like he is a shining example of coaching. As for your Clarkson comment, it is just another immature remark from you.

Clarkson showed he could coach in his first 2 years, you don't sack a coach withing the first 2 years unless you are Neeld / Watters level of incompetence. Richardson has been coach since 2014 and this year has been a disaster when they were supposed to be challenging for the 8.

It is nothing like Richmond who constantly improved and made finals before the 2016 post season review. Just looking at what the current premier is doing and copying it is no guarantee for success, I have seen it with our 2016 season where we tried to play more like Hawthorn (bringing in Hale and Guerra) and we didn't have the cattle to execute.

It will be interesting to see where St Kilda go from here, it's hard to see him being the right man for the job. St Kilda as a club have been rebuilding since 2011. Has he earned the right to see out his contract til 2020?

Relevance?
Re Freo in relation to the Saints:
You seem to think that clubs that are going through extensive rebuilds should make the eight if they have a great coach.
Your club purportedly has a 'great coach' and an experienced coach - left St Kilda with an ageing list filled with role players after a couple of shots at a flag.
Then took over at Freo with a good list, added to it, had a shot at a flag and is now struggling with a rebuild of his own.
Freo has had a soft draw this season too. When they play top eight sides they have been flogged, hardly competitive.

Do you think Ross would have achieved anything more than Richardson if he had to walk into StKilda after Watters and Neeld - with the current list of Saints players? Nothing like the list Ross had at his disposal when he started with the Saints.

You mention gameplans - and say you can't see it.
Ross has a gameplan, problem is every side sees it and sees through it, Freo struggle to score more than 80pts on a regular basis.
They used to be able to rely on their rope-a-dope plan to keep sides under that score. Now even their defense is penetrated by quick small forwards.

Richardson has a gameplan - but it's hard to play it because of the skills of his team.
Therefore his main focus at present is to develop players - Saints are getting killed because young players keep turning over the ball.
Billings was a top draft pick who was recruited for his 'elite' kicking skills - can pass great, but couldn't hit a barn door shooting for goal.
Need decent assistant coaches to develop players.
As for the expectation of the Saints making the 8 this season, that was only because of what the Saints were able to achieve in 2017 under Richardson.
Like Ross Lyon has finally learnt though, you need to play and develop your youth and their skills if you want to go further and its tough to win games without a decent amount of experienced senior players leading the side.

Last edited:
That’s my point......today it is Ess, tomorrow it will be Crows.

It’s shameless.....no different than click bait when you think about it.
Well it’s done for every game. It happens every week and is part and parcel of every game covered no matter the channel free or otherwise. I wouldn’t let it bother you so much. Other things are more important in life.

I’m glad he has a semi decent game.

Talking about more than one game though. Have you seriously been happy with his progression this year? Is he on track to be a prime time mid next year?

Just think his ceiling is more good player, than great player
There are plenty of no.1 picks that have not made the cut. Andy is NOT one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back