AFL 2018 R4 Hawthorn v Melbourne SUNDAY 3:20 PM MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, because the rest of the midfield group had one less player to play against, because Melbourne had one of their mids holding on to Mitchell's arm at every opportunity rather than hunting the ball at stoppages (Nathan actually did ok himself, but definitely down on last week's output). Still didn't reduce his impact much as Mitchell had 6 more clearances than any other player on the ground. Hawthorn just switched to using Shiels and O'Meara for the spread work that Mitchell has been doing lately on the outside which the tag did impact. Was probably close to as good as ever on his inside work.

Basically this game shows why almost nobody else puts a hard tag on any midfielder these days. Mitchell gets opponents but not often hard tags like today. It just costs the tagging team too much because the opposition coaches know how to take of advantage of the situation. Puts a big question mark on Goodwin's coaching IMO.

Quality post!

Don't mind seeing melbourne getting spanked at all purely due to some flog supporters that post on here.
Somewhat agree. There were several getting on their high horse after beating an alleged bottom 2 team last week. Who as it stands now are currently sitting below that alleged bottom 2 team.

I don’t even know what to say. I mean forget the supporters and talk about the footy, but we were so bad it was going back to the dark old days in 10-13. I felt that that loss was coming. Our form has been horrid for 3 weeks really. A fade out against Geelong and Brisbane and a good 3/4 against north but we still let North surge at times.

Goodwin just can’t coach folks. There’s no plan B, no solution to opposition tactics, and too much cute work. We’ve accommodated Lever and compromised our defence. The guy has had a horrible first month and needs to be dropped.

Harmes, Melksham, Fritsch have all used up their chances. We also can’t keep playing Lewis, Vince and Jones together. Bugg was back to his worst as well.

Man, I don’t even know how this club will respond next week.

Yeah, because the rest of the midfield group had one less player to play against, because Melbourne had one of their mids holding on to Mitchell's arm at every opportunity rather than hunting the ball at stoppages (Nathan actually did ok himself, but definitely down on last week's output). Still didn't reduce his impact much as Mitchell had 6 more clearances than any other player on the ground. Hawthorn just switched to using Shiels and O'Meara for the spread work that Mitchell has been doing lately on the outside which the tag did impact. Was probably close to as good as ever on his inside work.

Basically this game shows why almost nobody else puts a hard tag on any midfielder these days. Mitchell gets opponents but not often hard tags like today. It just costs the tagging team too much because the opposition coaches know how to take of advantage of the situation. Puts a big question mark on Goodwin's coaching IMO.

If Jones (without Viney) isn’t Melbourne’s best inside mid then who is? Shocking coaching

I don’t even know what to say. I mean forget the supporters and talk about the footy, but we were so bad it was going back to the dark old days in 10-13. I felt that that loss was coming. Our form has been horrid for 3 weeks really. A fade out against Geelong and Brisbane and a good 3/4 against north but we still let North surge at times.

Goodwin just can’t coach folks. There’s no plan B, no solution to opposition tactics, and too much cute work. We’ve accommodated Lever and compromised our defence. The guy has had a horrible first month and needs to be dropped.

Harmes, Melksham, Fritsch have all used up their chances. We also can’t keep playing Lewis, Vince and Jones together. Bugg was back to his worst as well.

If I had a dollar for every time I saw a Melbourne player fumble or not be able to pick up the ball......if Hawthorn could handle the conditions so could Melbourne and yet you didn’t and they did. Can’t believe you guys did 0.0 after quarter time.

No there not and that is whats frustrating. They easily have a finals list, have for the past two years. The problem with them is that they have on method of play and no plan B when there main game is worked out.

Its either the coaching group or leadership group continually letting there supporters down by having no ability to adapt
I know it gets repeated every year but they truly are mentally weak.

With Cyril and Poppy out we might be a chance next week
With your form this year being better than most expected, I think you are a chance regardless of if Cyril and Poppy played or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't expecting the tag on Mitchell. Was expecting Bugg to tag Sicily and try and get him off his game. Was quite surprised (and pleased) to see James on 41 Supercoach points at quarter time. From there absolutely nothing changed, and 13 goals to 1 later we have a huge victory.

Hawks are a much better team than North though.

Demons just seemed focused on shutting down Mitchell and ignoring everyone else and willing to take their heart soul out of the team in Jones to do it just so they could keep Mitchell quiet.

They have stopped Mitchell quite well but done nothing to win the game in the other areas and the Hawks have feasted on it as they have had more class in most other positions on the day.

Clarkson has given Goodwin a coaching lesson today.
Did he really shut down Mitchell though?

Sure he didn't get 40 touches, but he did get 13 clearances and had about 16 contested possessions in his 24.

What happened??? 67 points?? WTF HOW??
Demons had it at 1/4 Time. Was there 5 injuries to demons?

Must've been something yeah?

After the rain really started to pelt down the leadership group at Melbourne got into a huddle, and after a vote, decided the conditions were potentially hazardous and that they should stop trying as hard as they did in the first quarter in order to avoid any physical or psychological distress. Coaching staff not happy about their decision, but what can you do when your players mutiny?

After the rain really started to pelt down the leadership group at Melbourne got into a huddle, and after a vote, decided the conditions were potentially hazardous and that they should stop trying as hard as they did in the first quarter in order to avoid any physical or psychological distress. Coaching staff not happy about their decision, but what can you do when your players mutiny?
They are mentally weak. Talented but mentally inept. That army course they can say what they want but we all know that was VERY WEAK from the players to go behind coaches. Something like that can never be truly forgoten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back