AFL 2018 R5: Sydney v Adelaide Friday 7:50 PM AEST SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney-vs-Adelaide.png

upload_2018-4-20_16-31-27.png

upload_2018-4-20_16-31-57.png
SUMMARY

The Swans return to Friday night footy for the first time this season to welcome the Crows to the SCG, and there's little doubt the visitors will be itching for the ball to be bounced after last week's shock loss to Collingwood at home. Adelaide key defender Daniel Talia will resume his long-running battle with Sydney superstar Lance Franklin and if his midfielders don't increase their work rate in round five, he could be in for a tough night. The Swans have had a good spread of contributors this season and Oliver Florent, Dean Towers, Callum Sinclair and Harry Cunningham are some of the lesser lights to have stepped up in important moments alongside Franklin, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Isaac Heeney. It's hard to see the Crows kicking a winning score without skipper Taylor Walker and Josh Jenkins finding some form against the miserly Sydney defence, but if Sam Jacobs can control the ruck duel with Sinclair, they're a chance to at least to get enough scoring opportunities.

WHERE AND WHEN: SCG, Friday, April 20, 7.50pm

upload_2018-4-20_16-33-37.png

LAST FIVE MEETINGS

R22, 2017, Sydney 13.5 (83) d Adelaide 11.14 (80) at Adelaide Oval
1SF, 2016, Sydney 18.10 (118) d Adelaide 12.10 (82) at the SCG
R4, 2016, Adelaide 16.17 (113) d Sydney 15.13 (103) at Adelaide Oval
R18, 2015, Sydney 17.15 (117) d Adelaide 9.11 (65) at the SCG
R3, 2014, Sydney 21.8 (134) d Adelaide 9.17 (71) at Adelaide Oval

THE SIX POINTS

1. The Crows probably should have won when these teams last played – they had more disposals, marks, scoring shots and inside 50s. Josh Kennedy was the star for the Swans with 31 disposals, one goal, seven tackles and five clearances.

2. One advantage for Adelaide could be in the centre clearances, where they're ranked equal second and averaging 15 per game, compared to the Swans who are 10th with an average of 13.3.

3. Sydney has dominated recently, winning six of the last seven contests including three by more than 50 points.

4. The Crows' scoring continues to drop away compared to 2017; they've averaged 91 points per game this season compared to 107 last season. Their 9.4 (58) last week against Collingwood was their lowest score since round 18, 2016.

5. Lance Franklin has made a successful start to the season with 17 goals to lead the Coleman Medal race. It's his best first four weeks of a season since 2008 when he kicked 21 goals and went on to reach the century.

6. Young Swan Isaac Heeney's exciting form has seen him rise to 28th in the Schick AFL Player Ratings, a career-high for the forward-turned-midfielder.

IT’S A BIG WEEK FOR…

After a disastrous loss to Collingwood last Friday night and a poor individual match, Crows captain Taylor Walker must have a presence inside 50 if his team is to be any chance of an upset.

PREDICTION: Sydney by 31 points

Watch out for the rebound effect.
Normally I would but Adelaide's midfield is pretty decimated at the moment and it's going to be a struggle for them I expect. Having said that the Swans haven't been playing champagne football and will need to take the Crows seriously.

I think the Crows will hit back tonight. Riley Knight a good in, he will bring energy. Eddie Betts has been down, hopefully temporarily, but not much of a loss for this game. Sloane will hurt, in which raises the question of who will the Swans target tonight in his absence.

You'd think Laird but I don't think he's a temperament you can get to. My guess is Tex who will be under pressure for this game.

My view is the Crows are a lot better than they looked last week.

Naw not often I go in genuinely thinking we have no chance. We can’t win it, only Sydney can lose it, if that kinda makes sense.

Normally I would but Adelaide's midfield is pretty decimated at the moment and it's going to be a struggle for them I expect. Having said that the Swans haven't been playing champagne football and will need to take the Crows seriously.
You may be right re crows...I hope it is close and I dont see a landslide either way.

Can't see the crows midfield giving much trouble to the Swans on ball brigade.
Another tall setup this week, don't really have anyone to bring in, ball is going to bounce out of there in 2 seconds if it hits the deck.
Why play Otten over Fogarty? Is he injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see the crows midfield giving much trouble to the Swans on ball brigade.
Another tall setup this week, don't really have anyone to bring in, ball is going to bounce out of there in 2 seconds if it hits the deck.
Why play Otten over Fogarty? Is he injured?
He's a first year player and a KPF at that. Hardly likely he'd play 22 games without a break this year. Guys like Powell-Pepper are rare, and much more likely to be mids.

Somehow i think we bounce back and play well to win by 17 ... here is too hoping .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back