AFL 2018 R5: Sydney v Adelaide Friday 7:50 PM AEST SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't have a proper pre-season but he keeps saying his body feels good. He's not playing like it. His gut running is his main weapon but he's not finding any space. I know it's not panic stations at 3-2 but resting him or letting him get form in the twos shouldn't be off the table.
What happened to Luke Parker last night. I honestly didn't spot him until almost the second half. I'm not sure when he got his touches, because he seemed mostly invisible out there.

Did he play solely in the forward line this week? I think he's an absolute gun, but he was missing big time last night.

If you said going in that Sydney's best players in the match would be Heeney, McVeigh, Rampe, Jones, and Lloyd, you'd probably assume they got pumped, and wonder what happened to their stars.

Obviously they didn't look great, but to lose by only 10, and have all the team stats be fairly even (despite Longmire's repeated "we couldn't win the ball" protestations in the press conference afterwards), is somewhat of a positive for the Swans. If they can get even just an average game out of their stars, they can beat this Adelaide side (who were also missing stars, admittedly).

What is concerning is the ongoing poor form of Kennedy and Hannebury (and lack of consistency from Parker and Jack). This wasn't just last night, it's been all season thus far. Just a slump? Need a rest? What's the go?

If you said going in that Sydney's best players in the match would be Heeney, McVeigh, Rampe, Jones, and Lloyd, you'd probably assume they got pumped, and wonder what happened to their stars.

Obviously they didn't look great, but to lose by only 10, and have all the team stats be fairly even (despite Longmire's repeated "we couldn't win the ball" protestations in the press conference afterwards), is somewhat of a positive for the Swans. If they can get even just an average game out of their stars, they can beat this Adelaide side (who were also missing stars, admittedly).

What is concerning is the ongoing poor form of Kennedy and Hannebury (and lack of consistency from Parker and Jack). This wasn't just last night, it's been all season thus far. Just a slump? Need a rest? What's the go?

Crows are missing 15 + players at the moment, 6 of which finished in their top 10 b & f last year. This game won't mean anything by september, the lineups and desires will be different for both sides.

In saying that, sydney did not turn up at all and got smoked by players in the middle with less than 10 games afl experience which was shocking actually. Fairly concerning where that type of attitude can come from at this level as it's all in the mind once you make AFL really.

I did not like horse press conference. He just showed glaringly Sydneys gameplan is win ball kick to buddy and that's it, no other plan B. All he could say the entire time was 'we need to win the ball first'. Putting tough inside kids on shutdown roles like CEY who are actually below average footballers with not much skill seems to be a blueprint to shut down sydneys inside players.

Crows have a similar problem usually, and can't play outside their usual style. Last night was an exception.

should be a ripping contest

the swans are the better side but I'm going with the crows by 10 in an upset
Yeah, I went back and gave you a 'like'...

He'
What happened to Luke Parker last night. I honestly didn't spot him until almost the second half. I'm not sure when he got his touches, because he seemed mostly invisible out there.

Did he play solely in the forward line this week? I think he's an absolute gun, but he was missing big time last night.
He's been in pretty good form but he is playing forward a bit as well to a bit of success. We rotated a lot through the middle last night but got smashed in contested possession whoever we threw in there.

Hannebury does not look fully fit normally such a jet

Crows are missing 15 + players at the moment, 6 of which finished in their top 10 b & f last year. This game won't mean anything by september, the lineups and desires will be different for both sides.

I get that they are missing players, but let's not exaggerate - the Crows' current injury list consists of 11 players.

Five of them would be categorically best 22 - Rory Sloane, Matt Crouch, Brad Crouch, Eddie Betts, and Brodie Smith.

Four of them are (or should be) depth players - David MacKay (an endictment on their depth that he's still considered a 'regular' when fit), Kyle Cheney (hasn't played a senior game since 2016, and has clearly been surpassed), Alex Keath, and Sam Gibson (yet to play for the club).

Two are first- or second-year players who probably wouldn't be playing senor footy with everyone fit - Lachlan Murphy (looked OK in the few matches he's played, but by no means a best 22 regular yet), and Andrew McPherson (yet to debut).

Four of them are (or should be) depth players - David MacKay (an endictment on their depth that he's still considered a 'regular' when fit), Kyle Cheney (hasn't played a senior game since 2016, and has clearly been surpassed), Alex Keath, and Sam Gibson (yet to play for the club).

Our depth, as demonstrated yesterday, is fine - Mackay is not an argument against our depth, it has more to do with the baffling trust and persistence the coaches still have in him. There have always been players outside of the regular best 22 who would do a better job in the same role.

Our depth, as demonstrated yesterday, is fine - Mackay is not an argument against our depth, it has more to do with the baffling trust and persistence the coaches still have in him. There have always been players outside of the regular best 22 who would do a better job in the same role.

Fair enough. Either way, it's baffling how he still gets a regular game. A more mediocre, vanilla senior player (24 years +) you will not find in the league. On pace to become the worst 200 gamer in VFL/AFL history.

Overall point was that the Crows don't have "15+ players" injured at the moment. They've got 11, of which 5-6 are best 22.

He'

He's been in pretty good form but he is playing forward a bit as well to a bit of success. We rotated a lot through the middle last night but got smashed in contested possession whoever we threw in there.

Except you really didn't, at least according to the hard data:

Clearances
Adelaide - 40
Sydney - 34

Centre Clearances
Adelaide - 12
Sydney - 13

Stoppage Clearances
Adelaide - 27
Sydney - 22

Contested Possessions
Adelaide - 149
Sydney - 144

Contested Possession Percentage
Adelaide - 40.60% of total possessions
Sydney - 39.13%

Total Disposals
Adelaide - 371
Sydney - 375

Disposal Efficiency
Adelaide - 73.85%
Sydney - 74.67%

Turnover Percentage
Adelaide - 21.56% of total disposals
Sydney - 20.00%

Metres Gained Per Disposal
Adelaide - 15.28 metres
Sydney - 16.47

Inside 50s
Adelaide - 48
Sydney - 64

Intercepts
Adelaide - 75
Sydney - 80

Obviously the game isn't played on paper, but looking at those numbers, you'd think the game was or would be perceived to have been more even than people are making out. Also having watched the game, it's surprising how different the perception is to the numbers as well.

Last edited:
Is Kennedy okay, weird to see the champion play back to back poor games. Normally never plays a poor game
Not sure. Club says no injury. He's pure inside bull but just not getting first touch. Sinclair is competing OK in the ruck but maybe we're just not tapping it to advantage enough. Maybe Kennedy is being targeted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outstanding Adelaide Crows. I had a feeling late week through injuries and poor performance they'd step up against the odds. One of the rare times I've willed them on to win and I glad they did.

One of the best wins ive witnessed. Saying that a lot lately with the Pies last week........

Mmmm
I don't write off your mids because they often look weak and submissive against us. I also take into account your record against other teams. Each to their own I guess.

You've smashed us in the midfield a few times recently because our midfield wasn't as good as it had been when aging players were at their peak. You weren't doing it when Mitchell/Lewis/Hodge were at their best. In other words, it would have been fair to say our midfield was weak compared to yours when you got on top of us for a period from 2016 onwards. You could perhaps have even said in 2016 that at their current output our midfield was overrated (not relevant to this discussion, but our midfield actually did ok against yours last time we met).

Sydney are so often talked about as having one of the strongest and deepest midfield groups in the competition, but the number of times they've capitulated is concerningly high. Yeah, they've done it more often against Hawthorn than against other teams, but lets not pretend it hasn't happened numerous times against other opponents. A group that consistently underperforms compared to expectation deserves to be labelled overrated. Buddy has been keeping the heat off their midfield group for years by getting them over the line single handedly in games their core midfield seemed to be doing their best to lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back