AFL 2018 R9: Essendon v Geelong Saturday 16:35 AEST MCG

Essendon-vs-Geelong.png

upload_2018-5-19_0-45-19.png

upload_2018-5-19_0-45-37.png

SUMMARY
Essendon's season has reached its crunch time far earlier than it, or many others, would have expected. The Bombers have lost their last four games and six of their past seven since their comeback win over Adelaide in round one. They are out of form, lacking rhythm and structure, struggling for spirit and appear lost for answers. But they need to find some as soon as possible if they are to salvage their year and finals hopes, and will be hoping they can do that against Geelong on Saturday in the now annual 'Country Festival' clash at the MCG. The Cats have had their injury concerns throughout the year but enter round nine in third position on the ladder and with a strong platform of performances behind them. Last week wasn't their best, a hard-fought 21-point win over Collingwood, but they regain Tom Hawkins from suspension for the Bombers' clash and will be confident of continuing their run of wins.

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Saturday, May 19, 4.35pm AEDT

LAST FIVE TIMES

R8, 2017, Essendon 17.8 (110) d Geelong Cats 13.15 (93) at the MCG
R20, 2016, Geelong Cats 15.10 (100) d Essendon 4.10 (34) at Etihad Stadium
R4, 2016, Geelong Cats 9.18 (72) d Essendon 6.6 (42) at the MCG
R10, 2015, Geelong Cats 19.8 (122) d Essendon 7.11 (53) at Etihad Stadium
R15, 2014, Geelong Cats 13.11 (89) d Essendon 11.14 (80) at Etihad Stadium

THE SIX POINTS

1. Since round four the Bombers are averaging just 67 points a game, well down on the 94 points they were averaging in the opening month of the year. Geelong has been difficult to score against in the past month, conceding an average of just 53 points since round four.

2. Essendon's win in 2017 against the Cats ended a six-game losing streak against Geelong. Its previous win occurred in 2011 and they haven't won consecutive clashes with the Cats since 2001-02.

3. It's hard work being an Essendon forward at the moment. The Bombers are ranked last for inside 50 entries this season (averaging just 48.4 a game). The Cats are 10th in the competition with an average of 51.8.

4. If things are even at half-time of Saturday's clash then the Cats will fancy their chances to storm ahead in the third term. Essendon still hasn't won a third quarter this year and in contrast the third term has been a strength for the Cats, scoring an average of 10 more points than their opposition every third term so far this season.

5. Tim Kelly's excellent debut season has been reflected in the Schick AFL Player Ratings, with Kelly ranked the best first-year player in the competition.

6. David Zaharakis has been one Bomber to have performed consistently this season. The midfielder started the season ranked at No.103 in the Schick AFL Player Ratings but has risen to No.77 after eight games.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …

Midfielder Zach Merrett admitted this week he is down on the form of his past two seasons as he comes to terms with being tagged every week. The Bombers need him firing, though, if they are any chance to resurrect their year.

PREDICTION: Geelong by 35 points

Geelong by plenty.

What Snake said.

The Geelong coach will admit to his plan to have a coffee with Prince Gil, following an apparent disparity in blocking frees. "As a senior coach who loves the game I am concerned about the future of the game. I am happy to shout the Prince his favoured flat white."

The Essendon coach (a qualified pharmacist) claimed the Dons are close to getting the mix right. "Look we played a lot of kids today. They were terrific. BJ's finger pointing was important for us."

In a rare appearance at a coach's presser, Mark Robinson asked what generous onlookers later described as a question that had words.

The coach replied, "Well, yes Mark the break in at Mr Hird's house was a terrible event but not for a moment do I think the former AFL CEO had anything to with it. I also doubt whether it affected our performance today."

Fabes

All Australian
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You must hate this game. Or did you jump on the bandwagon in 2015?
First of all I was born into a Hawthorn mad family so don't understand the basis of your bandwagon comment.

Secondly I think Essendon will beat Geelong and that's my opinion.

You're obviously too insecure to accept the fact some people think Essendon might win. Don't worry, its only bigfooty, those that pick Essendon winning doesn't translate to Essendon winning. Cheers

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
First of all I was born into a Hawthorn mad family so don't understand the basis of your bandwagon comment.

Secondly I think Essendon will beat Geelong and that's my opinion.

You're obviously too insecure to accept the fact some people think Essendon might win. Don't worry, its only bigfooty, those that pick Essendon winning doesn't translate to Essendon winning. Cheers
You clearly didn't pick up what I was putting down in that comment, or you wouldn't have focused so heavily on disputing my bandwagoner comment. FWIW, I don't see Essendon getting anywhere near us this week, nor Brisbane tomorrow. But s**t happens, so I guess we can't rule anything out can we?

Fabes

All Australian
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You clearly didn't pick up what I was putting down in that comment, or you wouldn't have focused so heavily on disputing my bandwagoner comment. FWIW, I don't see Essendon getting anywhere near us this week, nor Brisbane tomorrow. But s**t happens, so I guess we can't rule anything out can we?
I think with all the crap that club has gone through in recent weeks, including the sacking of Neeld and ongoing discussions about the future of Worsfold, coupled with the fact that Essendon have shown they can play some great footy by beating Port (when Port was undefeated) and the Crows, they (Essendon) could come out with a backs to the wall mentality and take a scalp this week. Just so happens they're playing Geelong.

If I had my house on it - I would pick the Cats. They are up there in premiership calculations IMHO. Doing great!!

Seeing as though I don't have to bet on my house, I think Essendon just might get up. And if they do, I think it'll be by a fair margin! Cheers

Jan 25, 2013
Deep Inside
AFL Club
Geelong
Just want to say a quick g'day to all the Hawthorn supporters in advance who will attempt to derail this thread with their weekly serve utter s**t posting. Looking forward to your work today, it wouldn't be a Geelong game day thread without it.

As for the game itself... We've been playing pretty well and are in a strong ladder position considering how injuries have gone for us this year. We're starting to get a bit of continuity with our stars playing a few games together. It would be disappointing to let up now after all that hard work. Our forward line is significantly weaker without Menzel there but Hawkins did hit a patch of form before being suspended last week and we should have enough firepower to overcome a Hurleyless backline.

I think there's something about the side this year and they will stay focused and professional enough to grind out a 6-7 goal win today.

I think with all the crap that club has gone through in recent weeks, including the sacking of Neeld and ongoing discussions about the future of Worsfold, coupled with the fact that Essendon have shown they can play some great footy by beating Port (when Port was undefeated) and the Crows, they (Essendon) could come out with a backs to the wall mentality and take a scalp this week. Just so happens they're playing Geelong.

If I had my house on it - I would pick the Cats. They are up there in premiership calculations IMHO. Doing great!!

Seeing as though I don't have to bet on my house, I think Essendon just might get up. And if they do, I think it'll be by a fair margin! Cheers

The Dons have Buckleys* and Nunn chance of a win here.

* Eddie has threatened to remove Bucks legs if he agrees to coach the amalgamated Blue Bombres.

In footy anything can happen and no game is 100% guaranteed.

True. I always think the Oppo will knock off the Bloods. Nonetheless I cannot think of a bigger lock this round than the Cats to mince the EFC.

AcuteWhistle

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Just want to say a quick g'day to all the Hawthorn supporters in advance who will attempt to derail this thread with their weekly serve utter s**t posting. Looking forward to your work today, it wouldn't be a Geelong game day thread without it.

There's blood in the water, or so they think, so yes, they'll be circling along with the usual cluster of North nuffies in tow.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Back