Game Day AFL 2019 Grand Final - Richmond v Greater Western Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Played well today

Personally I think he is a selfish player - rarely does he take the first or best option, he’s all about kicking the goals even when it’s not the best option. History though will say he is a 2 x premiership player so good luck to him.

And we didn’t like it when it was labelled against the hawks having only played interstate clubs so we shouldn’t really be disrespecting the tigers. They’ve played in two grand finals and that’s not an easy feat
True, you don't get to pick who you play, so all you can do is play your best against whoever it is.

Richmond played well, but there was nothing particularly impressive about their win today. Most decent teams would have won just as emphatically against that lacklustre Giants side. That said, Richmond did put together an impressive season as a whole. Overcoming a tough injury list and going on a lengthy winning streak to secure this flag.

There has been around 200 afl games this season and that grand final would be in the worst five. I'm sure it will do wonders turning would be Giants' fans into die-hard supporters.

There has been around 200 afl games this season and that grand final would be in the worst five. I'm sure it will do wonders turning would be Giants' fans into die-hard supporters.
Agreed, I’m sure all those western Sydney people will be queuing to buy Giants memberships after that display..
The game has taken a massive step backwards this season.. almost unwatchable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2013, Fremantle got stage fright. Missed easy shots when the game was in the balance.
They couldn't deal with the pressure and the Hawks applies a fair bit
If you can't bring it in a grand final you don't deserve to win.
Teams that turn up don't get enough credit.

Not to mention teams that break their opponents early like we did the Swans

Would have been about 8 sides that would have put in a better effort than the Giants did today.

Winning against a team who stumbled into the Grand Final, probably the most foregone conclusion since Port vs Geelong in 2007.

Richmond playing every game at the MCG bar about one for the past 10 weeks is also something that the AFL needs to ensure doesn't happen again.

So much wrong with the Giants today. Extremely disappointing.
Players fumbled, kicked poorly, failed to run.
Played injured players.

And after getting around to the idea that the GWS coach was getting his act together in the last part of the year and during the finals, he was hopelessly outcoached today (although it’s easy to be outcoached when the players are deplorable). At times Richmond had 7 or 8 players waiting for the ball to come into the Giants’ forward line and they were simply able to walk the ball out uncontested. I was waiting for the GWS coaches to do something positive, especially after half time, and get more players forward to make a contest. But it never happened. Very frustrating because it meant that GWS was never going to score and Richmond would continue to control the game and chip away at the scoreboard.

Last edited:
*reads comment and checks last tear’s Score* 🤔

Last year was a great finish no doubt. But I didn't say last year
Tiges spanked the Crows, before that the Dogs controlled the game against the Swans and who could forget the two years prior to that when we completed our dynasty

Good call

Agree - start with sacking the coach who’s just taken them to their first GF ??
Plenty of blame on the players but seriously that coach didn’t have a clue today.

Also, on a slightly different tack, I can’t remember ever seeing a side do so may squib kicks. They kept on kicking short of the target to the extent where they simply kicked short to opposition or even 20 metre kicks to teammates that ended up as grubbers. There was just no confidence or energy.
Were they just too scared to run out on the ground? I’d love to know how the coaches handled the week and what the message was given to the players after last week. Totally different side to the GWS that beat Collingwood.

Mumford played like an ageing soft utensil. OK he’s ageing, but I thought he’d give more than a whimper. Bad decision not to play Keefe who, at the least, can create trouble forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back