Game Day AFL 2019 Grand Final - Richmond v Greater Western Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

If today taught us anything it is that the league needs us to be good.
Don’t know about that. I think the league is rapt we’re out of it to spread the success. Also got me thinking. If we had of made it into the 8 instead of Throwdogs our recent form could perhaps snuck us into the GF. Sadly though, we just currently don’t have what it takes to beat Richmond so IMO their win rests easy with me because we perhaps wouldn’t have done much better. They’re simply a class above at the moment, as were we during our 3peat years.....even though Richmond beat us during that era as well

Don’t know about that. I think the league is rapt we’re out of it to spread the success. Also got me thinking. If we had of made it into the 8 instead of Throwdogs our recent form could perhaps snuck us into the GF. Sadly though, we just currently don’t have what it takes to beat Richmond so IMO their win rests easy with me because we perhaps wouldn’t have done much better. They’re simply a class above at the moment, as were we during our 3peat years.....even though Richmond beat us during that era as well
Mine was a comment about the quality of the league. It’s s**t. Richmond clearly a good side but they are playing garbage opposition. The league needs more good sides and it needs clarko to show it the way forward. Not trying to takeaway from Richmond. Just lamenting the fact that a team as poor as gws shouldn’t have gotten close to the grand final. A fit degoey and they don’t get past the pies.

Mine was a comment about the quality of the league. It’s s**t. Richmond clearly a good side but they are playing garbage opposition. The league needs more good sides and it needs clarko to show it the way forward. Not trying to takeaway from Richmond. Just lamenting the fact that a team as poor as gws shouldn’t have gotten close to the grand final. A fit degoey and they don’t get past the pies.

Unfortunately the Lions weren’t quite ready and should have knocked the Giants off in week two. I think they would have likely beaten Collingwood and could have provided some opposition yesterday.

As for GWS, well they will be better for the run. Tough to get there again though. It isn’t easy backing up as Richmond realised. In the words of Jesse the body Ventura, the wolf climbing the mountain is always hungrier than the wolf at the top. Back to back isn’t easy, let alone a triple.

KOLOKOTRONIS

"win, if you can; lose, if you must; but always cheat!" oh wait, that's Essendon :p

Agree - start with sacking the coach who’s just taken them to their first GF ??
Plenty of blame on the players but seriously that coach didn’t have a clue today.

Also, on a slightly different tack, I can’t remember ever seeing a side do so may squib kicks. They kept on kicking short of the target to the extent where they simply kicked short to opposition or even 20 metre kicks to teammates that ended up as grubbers. There was just no confidence or energy.
Were they just too scared to run out on the ground? I’d love to know how the coaches handled the week and what the message was given to the players after last week. Totally different side to the GWS that beat Collingwood.

Mumford played like an ageing soft utensil. OK he’s ageing, but I thought he’d give more than a whimper. Bad decision not to play Keefe who, at the least, can create trouble forward.

Not sure if you've quoted the right post here

Just had a read of the post-game thread on the GWS board.

Fair to say both of them aren't very happy about their performance today.
Hope they get a payrise from the AFL marketing department for having to turn up and post after watching that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would easily be in the Hawks best 22.

Don’t be precious now
Every side has one - Baker is another I think got lucky
I’m not rubbishing them, you have a side who all play their role, some just aren’t as good as others
Now Go play on your own forum and celebrate your win

Maybe sending the best talent to the worst managed clubs is starting to bite. The gws gcs thing magnifies this

Has that ever happened before - a grand finalist being held to a record low score 3 times in the same year?
That’s an extraordinary stat.
Yes in the first season with a grand final.

Also it didn't happen this season.

GWS's three lowest scores are 25 (2019), 29 (2019) and 31 (2012)

The 38 they scored against us earlier in the season is their 10th lowest score.

Not sure where the whole 3 lowest scores is coming from to be honest.

Dominant display from Richmond which can't be attributed to GWS failing to show up. Easily the most impressive GF performance since us in 2015, and although they don't have the raw skill of our 3peat teams, their gameplan is brilliantly suited to finals and GFs especially. Won't surprise me if they sneak another flag before falling back to the pack. That might depend on how quickly Brisbane, Bulldogs and GWS (who still have many talented kids) can improve.

Yes in the first season with a grand final.

Also it didn't happen this season.

GWS's three lowest scores are 25 (2019), 29 (2019) and 31 (2012)

The 38 they scored against us earlier in the season is their 10th lowest score.

Not sure where the whole 3 lowest scores is coming from to be honest.

Still, despite his slight inaccuracy, the overall point isn't lost. I would say it would be a very rare occurance to have a team scoring some of its worst sccores in the same year it makes a GF.

GWS were abysmal for most of the day, but really even if they did show up they would've been screwed by the umpires anyway.

Deadset 6-8 goals given to Richmond from the umpires that I can recall of the top of my head.

Also seemed like maybe if Pies had lowered eyes and focused on last week they would have played yesterday.
Would have provided some fight.

As impressive and hungry Tigers are, and all kudos to them, Hardwick has been brilliant these last 3 years, like any team, their game can be picked off with the right squad, pressure and tactical discipline.

GWS were abysmal for most of the day, but really even if they did show up they would've been screwed by the umpires anyway.

Deadset 6-8 goals given to Richmond from the umpires that I can recall of the top of my head.

Just watched the replay as I usually do the day after attending a GF function whereby watching the game is not always the priority.

Yes, the Tigers got the rub of the green with the umps specifically in the first half, mainly because they went a bit too far with letting the game flow which also didn't help GWS.

What was also apparent is the commentators were obviously under instruction not to criticize the umpiring and at times Bruce and BT struggled to remain silent after a few shockers. A classic example was when Soldo took the ball from the throw-in, was tackled, dropped it, but it was called play on - very little was said in the comm box and Ch7 didn't even show a replay.

All up it was a disappointing GF spectacle for all but the most die hard Tigers supporters.

Last edited:
Would have been about 8 sides that would have put in a better effort than the Giants did today.

Winning against a team who stumbled into the Grand Final, probably the most foregone conclusion since Port vs Geelong in 2007.

Richmond playing every game at the MCG bar about one for the past 10 weeks is also something that the AFL needs to ensure doesn't happen again.
They kicked 4 goals in 5 qtrs to end their season. Conceded the last 5 against Collingwood than 9 of the next 10 I think yesterday. Which ever way you put it a bloody disaster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back