• Poll closed .
Carlton-vs-Richmond.png

Where and when: MCG, Thursday March 21, 7.20pm AEDT

Melbourne Forecast

Summary
cloudy.png

Max 25
Cloudy. Chance of any rain: 20%

Cloudy. The chance of fog about the nearby hills early this morning. Slight (20%) chance of drizzle this morning. Winds southeast to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h tending west to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the evening then tending southeast to southwesterly in the late evening

Last time they met: MCG, round one, 2018: Richmond 17.19 (121) defeated Carlton 15.5 (95)
The Blues stunned the Tigers when they kicked the first five goals of last year's season-opener, only to be overrun. Richmond led by just four points at the final change, but eventually put the game to bed in the last term. Charlie Curnow earned the three Brownlow votes after kicking five goals.

What it means for Carlton: After a two-win season last year, this could set the tempo for Carlton's improvement. While a win would appear unlikely on the surface, a greater sense of competitiveness could bring about some optimism for the year ahead.

What it means for Richmond: The Tigers were stunned in last year's preliminary final and must respond in round one. A lethargic performance could spell some concern among fans. But should they produce an emphatic performance, 2019 could bring more dominance.

How Carlton wins: The Blues always get up for the season-opener. If they can ride the wave of positivity stemming from their JLT campaign, maybe they can shock the Tigers.

How Richmond wins: The Tigers beat their young opponents with their forward pressure. Should they get the game on their terms early, it could spell bad news for the Blues.
The stat: The streak is dead, long live the streak. The Tigers have won seven straight games against the Blues. But before that, the Blues had won 11 of the previous 12 against the Tigers.

The match-up: Patrick Cripps v Dustin Martin
Two of the best midfielders in the competition. Martin is still ranked as the No.1 player in the game by AFL Player Ratings, while Cripps is ranked No.19. Both are bulls out of the centre, and both can also have a massive impact moving forward.

It's a big week for: Jack Riewoldt (Richmond)
Regardless of whether Tom Lynch makes his debut for the Tigers, this could be a massive night for the reigning Coleman Medal winner. Should the club's new recruit play, the dynamic between the two will be intriguing. Should he not, Riewoldt will be keen to show he's still the big dog.

Expect Jack Riewoldt to have a big night irrespective of Tom Lynch's availability. Picture: AFL Photos

riewoldtpreview.jpg

Big call: Forget Lynch, Jack proves he's still the main attraction in Richmond's forward line.

Prediction: Richmond by 29 points

Source: AFL Website.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Game Day! I’m going with Richmond by 32 points.

I’m excited to see Lynch, Balta, Nankervis and Riewoldt all in the same side. Gives us a little bit more aerial presence and strength in our forward line.

I imagine it will be the expected result and most players will run out of steam well before the game is over.

MCG is expecting 87,000 to turn up tonight.

I wonder if we will have the usual issues with Watch AFL, AFL live Pass, AFL website etc that we always seem to have Round 1

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Carlton stayed with the Tiges for 3 quarters in last year's opener, and with Jack Russell's appointment will run out games more often than in previous years.

Expecting a tight contest, with Richmond's greater potency going forward proving the difference of ~ 4 goals.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I have no axe to axe to grind with either club, delighted to see footy back.

For me the interest will be to see how the Blues structures hold up under the pressure the Tigers will apply. The Tigers have been the best team in the comp at pressuring the ball carrier all over the ground for the last 2 years, and there's no easy way to beat it. You've just got to take the initiative and hang tough. It may change a little with a taller firward line but I'm thinking not much.

The Blues looked good in the JLT and I think Phillips was a big contributor to that. He needs to get on top of Nankervis to get them on the front foot. The Tigers aren't a great "first hands on the ball" side and there is an opportunity there in my view. It could change somewhat if the 6-6-6 rule means Martin spends more time at the clearances.

I'll be hoping for a Blues win. Partly the underdog thing and partly because I know so many of their players. It matters more to them to start the season well.

Also bear in mind though that both of last years grand finalists lost round one. It's just the start of a marathon

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm expecting this one to be closer than expected, Tigers to pull away midway through the last quarter for a reasonably comfortable win, 28 points.

Carlton stayed with the Tiges for 3 quarters in last year's opener, and with Jack Russell's appointment will run out games more often than in previous years.

Expecting a tight contest, with Richmond's greater potency going forward proving the difference of ~ 4 goals.
We lost Kennedy and Kreuzer by half time last year, round 1 anything could happen but you would expect a tigers win.

I have no axe to axe to grind with either club, delighted to see footy back.

For me the interest will be to see how the Blues structures hold up under the pressure the Tigers will apply. The Tigers have been the best team in the comp at pressuring the ball carrier all over the ground for the last 2 years, and there's no easy way to beat it. You've just got to take the initiative and hang tough. It may change a little with a taller firward line but I'm thinking not much.

The Blues looked good in the JLT and I think Phillips was a big contributor to that. He needs to get on top of Nankervis to get them on the front foot. The Tigers aren't a great "first hands on the ball" side and there is an opportunity there in my view. It could change somewhat if the 6-6-6 rule means Martin spends more time at the clearances.

I'll be hoping for a Blues win. Partly the underdog thing and partly because I know so many of their players. It matters more to them to start the season well.

Also bear in mind though that both of last years grand finalists lost round one. It's just the start of a marathon
:praying:

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
We lost Kennedy and Kreuzer by half time last year, round 1 anything could happen but you would expect a tigers win.
and the 5 x 50 metre penalties resulting in goals also had no effect whatsoever either
and kreuz isn't even playing tonight,
sooooooooo carlton by how much?

and the 5 x 50 metre penalties resulting in goals also had no effect whatsoever either
and kreuz isn't even playing tonight,
sooooooooo carlton by how much?
Dunno....
Lynch to kick how many

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Massive game which could honestly go either way - Caddy a big out for the Tigers and one that shouldn't be under-estimated. One thing that is predictable though is that any new rules will be over-enforced to the point of excruciation in this first game, before being wound back significantly by lunchtime Friday so that the rest of Round 1 is officiated very differently.

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
The blues will be an improved outfit you'd hope, but I think our hardened senior players will get us over the top in the second half.

Interested to see if Lynch has that leap that he did before he got injured, and just generally how the forward line works with three talls there instead of one.

Docherty out is still a massive loss for the blues, as he could of coped with our forward pressure - a younger player might not.

GlocksTickin

Senior List
Jan 28, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't believe it's here. It feels as though it's the Grand Final tonight with expectations and anticipation so high.

* I love footy.

Back