Round 1 Vs Sydney GAMEDAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two strong contests in the JLT have resulted in two narrow losses. No injuries and great continuity into our key players, has us cherry ripe to now step up for the season proper.

Make no mistake, the scoreboard in the JLT is 100% irrelevant, and a lot of positives to launch into our 2019 campaign with a win against the Swans. Across the two games, we have had 25 players who have played at least one good game, so competition for spots will be hot.

Johannisen is a smokey to return, while Dickson looks a strong chance to regain his spot after another solid hitout in the VFL.

So, the 22 players will comprise of:

The defence looks to be building a promising unit, with Morris, Wood and Cordy forming a strong core, along with Daniel, Williams, Crozier and Suckling (7 players).

In the midfield, McLean, Dunkley, Wallis, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Macrae and Hunter look like they are primed for big seasons (7 players).

The ruck appears sewn up by English, while Trengove may be vulnerable to lose his post (1 player).

Up forward, Naughton may be the swingman that will surprise. Lloyd and Schache will be a dangerous duo, while we require Gowers, Dickson and Richards (6 players) to offer some spark in the opener.

That leaves one remaining spot. Bailey Smith has done enough, though JJ if fit, will be the jewel in the crown. This leaves our emegencies as: Trengove, Hayes, Greene and Dureya.

Mar 13, 2007
The Nation's Capital
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
FFC, CFC, 76ers, Oilers, Roys FFC
Honestly I don't think the scoreboard is totally irrelevant.
The winning and losing in the JLT is something that I couldn't care about, but our continued struggles to impact the scoreboard is an issue. Naughton looked ok, and Schache too, but can we in all honesty see our forward line doing the damage we need it to do?

Our midfield is deep and strong, and out defense appears relatively solid, I just hope we can keep teams to scores lower than what we can manage.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two strong contests in the JLT have resulted in two narrow losses. No injuries and great continuity into our key players, has us cherry ripe to now step up for the season proper.

Make no mistake, the scoreboard in the JLT is 100% irrelevant, and a lot of positives to launch into our 2019 campaign with a win against the Swans. Across the two games, we have had 25 players who have played at least one good game, so competition for spots will be hot.

Johannisen is a smokey to return, while Dickson looks a strong chance to regain his spot after another solid hitout in the VFL.

The defence looks to be building a promising unit, with Morris, Wood and Cordy forming a strong core, along with Daniel, Williams, Crozier and Suckling (7 players).

In the midfield, McLean, Dunkley, Wallis, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Macrae and Hunter look like they are primed for big seasons (7 players).

The ruck appears sewn up by English, while Trengove may be vulnerable to lose his post (1 player).

Up forward, Naughton may be the swingman that will surprise. Lloyd and Schache will be a dangerous duo, while we require Gowers, Dickson and Richards (6 players) to offer some spark in the opener.

That leaves one remaining spot. Bailey Smith has done enough, though JJ if fit, will be the jewel in the crown. This leaves our emegencies as: Trengove, Hayes, Greene and Dureya.

You been watching different games to eveyone else I think but you keep smoking that positive pipe and hoping it’s all a dream and we will hope you are right

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d probably go with this:
B. Wood Cordy Crozier
HB. Daniel Morris Dureya
C. Hunter Libba Macrae
HF. Richards Schache Lloyd
F. McLean Naughton Wallis
R. English Bontempelli Dunkley
INT. Smith, Williams, Suckling, Gowers.
EMG. Trengove, Dickson, Hayes

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think that’s a good positive post without falling into the negativity that seems to permeate our board. I’m looking forward to the challenge of round 1 and how we take down the Swans.

I can’t see Hayes as an emergency based on the JLT games, I think someone from the VFL who has performed well is likely to take his place.

I’m still concerned with English in the ruck and would like to see some contuinity with him playing a full game, swapping with Trengove in the forward line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Honestly I don't think the scoreboard is totally irrelevant.
The winning and losing in the JLT is something that I couldn't care about, but our continued struggles to impact the scoreboard is an issue. Naughton looked ok, and Schache too, but can we in all honesty see our forward line doing the damage we need it to do?

Our midfield is deep and strong, and out defense appears relatively solid, I just hope we can keep teams to scores lower than what we can manage.

Quality entry into our forward 50 will give our forwards the best opportunity and enable greater chance of accuracy. Our mids will win more battles than we lose, so we will score.

Sadly, I don’t think we have any option but to play naughton forward at this point.

I wasn’t impressed with English (and im a massive fan).

Richards and Gowers look terrible. Not good signs there either.

Duryea just depth.

Is lynch available? Why no Cavarra??

I’d go:

FB: Morris Cordy Williams
HB: crozier Wood Daniel
C: Hunter Macrae Richards
HF: LLoyd Schache Mclean
FF: Cavarra Naughton Dickson
R: Trengove Bonti Libba
IC: Dunkley, Wallis, suckling, Lipinski

Dunkley, Wallis, Richards and Trengove on notice.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sadly, I don’t think we have any option but to play naughton forward at this point.

I wasn’t impressed with English (and im a massive fan).

Richards and Gowers look terrible. Not good signs there either.

Duryea just depth.

Is lynch available? Why no Cavarra??

I’d go:

FB: Morris Cordy Williams
HB: crozier Wood Daniel
C: Hunter Macrae Richards
HF: LLoyd Schache Mclean
FF: Cavarra Naughton Dickson
R: Trengove Bonti Libba
IC: Dunkley, Wallis, suckling, Lipinski

Dunkley, Wallis, Richards and Trengove on notice.

I thought Wallis had been ok in comparing to others

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughton came 4th(?) in a B&F as a defender and we're going to play him in attack when Buddy Franklin is down the other end?

Simply won't happen.
Buddy is a 10% chance of playing. And even if he does play, we have the Bionic Man who can take him down.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Easily one of our best across the two games.
He was easily BOG for me in the first match, and serviceable in this one. We absolutely need him as a 90/10 forward - no point wasting time in the middle when Libba is a strictly better midfielder

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How likely is Johannisen to play as I checked the AFL website and according to the injury lists Johannisen looks like he is a chance to play?
The club listed him as 2-3 weeks away last week. It is 2 weeks before Round 1. So, he must surely be a chance...

DogBites

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
Point Cook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bring on Sydney, you cannot hide a tall man in the short grass..
In a season we are will hpefully win, but unlikely to win the flag.
I don't have a problem trying the 19 year old with the best marking hands at the club, forward.
Interested to see how it develops, but easy to move him back it it doesn't work.

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The team to defeat Sydney:

B: Morris Cordy Suckling
HB: Daniel Wood Williams
C: Hunter Macrae Dunkley
HF: Wallis Schache McLean
F: Dickson Naughton Gowers
Foll: English Bontempelli Liberatore
Int: Llyod, Crozier, Richards, B. Smith*
Emerg: Trengove, Hayes, Duryea, Greene
*Johannisen to replace B. Smith is he passes his fitness test!...

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lloyd has kicked three goals and Dicko hasn’t played and Gowers hasn’t touched the ball yet some still start them in front of him.

I actually wonder what some of you watch and think when you go to games or watch TV.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Feel sorry for our forwards. Most of the time the issue is coming from the midfield with shocking delivery and over handballing when they should be attempting to kick and honouring a lead. I’d hate to be a forward leading up to a dogs midfielder right now, you may as well just look up, watch 18 handballs and wait for it to get kicked on your head. We need to be more direct.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yet to see the St Kilda game, first game was pretty meh. Forward line still looks a massive problem. Team I would go with.

B: Morris Cordy Dureya
HB: Daniel wood crozier
C : hunter libba Macrae
Hf: Lloyd Naughton McLean
F: Wallis Schache gowers
R: Trengove Bont Dunkley
Int: English suckling Richards Williams
Emg: Smith Dickson Hayes

Have a feeling I might be missing someone.

Think we need to play the two rucks, Naughton can swing back if need be but Schache needs another tall with him and not a lumbering ruckman.

Really want to see Dickson Greene and cavarra show some strong form in the vfl and get into our forward line

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
How likely is Johannisen to play as I checked the AFL website and according to the injury lists Johannisen looks like he is a chance to play?
Syndemosis is a pretty bad injury, always at least a medium term injury that can stretch out to long term if it doesn't heal properly or if surgery is needed

Pretty sure Marcus Adams was stuffed up by them during his time with us

I don't expect JJ to be back until April-May, think if he plays R1 then we're putting him at an unnecessary risk of re injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back