Round 1 Vs Sydney GAMEDAY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please

The girls have worn 3 different jumpers in three years and should have worn it to try and bring in some money because they get zero attendance money.

If a jumper effectst he way you play then you shouldn’t be out there

You aren't actually responding to what I am saying. My point did not entail that the players will try any less in any given jumper. Moreover, this wouldnt have impacted the funding received by the women, I mean honestly. I think you know that.

I am talking at a conceptual level and from my perspective as a fan of an authentic sport that means a lot. We shouldnt sell out like this to corporate interests simply for the sake of a quick buck. The jumper holds our history as an organisation, and things like robodog to a lesser extent and this to a far greater extent make a mockery of that.

You aren't actually responding to what I am saying. My point did not entail that the players will try any less in any given jumper. Moreover, this wouldnt have impacted the funding received by the women, I mean honestly. I think you know that.

I am talking at a conceptual level and from my perspective as a fan of an authentic sport that means a lot. We shouldnt sell out like this to corporate interests simply for the sake of a quick buck. The jumper holds our history as an organisation, and things like robodog to a lesser extent and this to a far greater extent make a mockery of that.

Interesting comment that we shouldn't seĺl out for money or corporate reasons.

Id have thought youd be more worried about selling home games, taking a back breaking Docklands deal and leaving our home ground, changing the name and very identity of the club to the Western Buĺldogs, and changing the song as far more vexing corporate 'sell out' issues than a one off 2019 rd 1 jumper change...

But that's just me

Id have thought youd be more worried about selling home games, taking a back breaking Docklands deal and leaving our home ground, changing the name and very identity of the club to the Western Buĺldogs, and changing the song as far more vexing corporate 'sell out' issues than a one off 2019 rd 1 jumper change...

But that's just me

Who the * says I'm not more worried about that? Not me certainly. Strawman.

We are a modern sporting organisation and need to engage with corporate agendas to maintain viability. This is not something that will achieve that, and it takes away far more than it gives. We will get a minor boost from this in funding, that I assume is a once off. In return we show our management to be beholden to a superhero franchise over the true purpose of our club. That jumper should only ever be changed in very special circumstances, and this isnt ******* one of them.

But that's just me
Excellent point - dropping the Footscray label seems far more significant than a one-off jumper, yet we all embraced the name Western Bulldogs. We need to accept that while some may see this as "selling out" for money, that went out the window as soon as sponsors started being added to jumpers (which was a long time ago). How is this any different to having the Mercedes symbol on the jumper? Poor quality European cars don't seem to have a lot to do with footy, but they do help the club stay afloat and provide benefits for the members

We are a modern sporting organisation and need to engage with corporate agendas to maintain viability. This is not something that will achieve that, and it takes away far more than it gives.
Can I ask what you believe it takes away?

I don't know anyone who says they won't attend the game because of a one-off jumper change, nor will boycott merchandise, memberships, etc. I'm really wondering if there are any real consequences to this given the myriad of jumpers AFL teams have worn in the past for all sorts of reasons.

I don't know anyone who says they won't attend the game because of a one-off jumper change, nor will boycott merchandise, memberships, etc. I'm really wondering if there are any real consequences to this given the myriad of jumpers AFL teams have worn in the past for all sorts of reasons.
Also we can't forget that proceeds from this jumper go to the Make a Wish Foundation.

We should be celebrating this amazing contribution to the community, not melting down over a one-off jumper as if it somehow harms the very fabric of the club. I though our indigenous jumper was among the worst of any clubs', but I didn't complain as I know what that jumper means to others

We changed our name

We sold games all over Australia

BOTH FOR FINANCIAL REASONS MATE

We can’t now accuse the club of selling out coz we have already done that.

Excellent point - dropping the Footscray label seems far more significant than a one-off jumper, yet we all embraced the name Western Bulldogs. We need to accept that while some may see this as "selling out" for money, that went out the window as soon as sponsors started being added to jumpers (which was a long time ago). How is this any different to having the Mercedes symbol on the jumper? Poor quality European cars don't seem to have a lot to do with footy, but they do help the club stay afloat and provide benefits for the members

I’m not sure we all embraced the name change. I was shattered at the time and would change it back to Footscray in a heartbeat.

We changed our name

We sold games all over Australia

BOTH FOR FINANCIAL REASONS MATE

We can’t now accuse the club of selling out coz we have already done that.

And I didn't agree with any of that. Just because you've sold out once doesnt provide carte blanche on doing it again and again in the future.

Our dignity. We shouldnt pander to transient movie cultures focusing on super-*******-heroes. They are a United States cultural phenomenon, the fact that we are selling out for that makes me sick.

Also we can't forget that proceeds from this jumper go to the Make a Wish Foundation.

We should be celebrating this amazing contribution to the community, not melting down over a one-off jumper as if it somehow harms the very fabric of the club. I though our indigenous jumper was among the worst of any clubs', but I didn't complain as I know what that jumper means to others

It's not so much how it looks (and it looks s**t, all agree) but what it represents. The Americanisation of our game, and taking away the tribal community element which makes it so great. Why do you think all the other team's supporters are so disgusted by this s**t?

It's not so much how it looks (and it looks s**t, all agree) but what it represents. The Americanization of our game, and taking away the tribal community element which makes it so great.
I guess that's just subjective so I can't really argue with an opinion. I agree it looks s**t, no doubting that, but I have no problem with this being a one-off event to raise money for charity as well as raise funds for the club itself. Would rather that than have an Avengers symbol on your jumpers for the entire year or whatever else could have happened.

We have Mission chips and the Mercedes symbol featuring prominently on our jumpers already, which is already irrelevant to the actual sport itself

Our dignity. We shouldnt pander to transient movie cultures focusing on super-*******-heroes. They are a United States cultural phenomenon, the fact that we are selling out for that makes me sick.
I'd suggest our on field performances are a real determinate of our dignity.
It's hard to complain about overseas culture when we once changed our club name to the 'Prince Imperials' to honour a French Monarch.

I really think this is such a minor issue and not one to get worked up about as many people seem to be.

And I didn't agree with any of that. Just because you've sold out once doesnt provide carte blanche on doing it again and again in the future.

It's not so much how it looks (and it looks s**t, all agree) but what it represents. The Americanisation of our game, and taking away the tribal community element which makes it so great. Why do you think all the other team's supporters are so disgusted by this s**t?

Sorry mate I understand your thinking just disagree with it

Once you have whored yourself out you can’t return to being a virgin

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The jumper holds our history as an organisation, and things like robodog to a lesser extent and this to a far greater extent make a mockery of that.

I like the sentiment but the reality is history is complex.

“It is thought that 1883 may also have marked the adoption of new colours – blue and white being augmented by a red cap.”

“May 1 1886 …The boys of the Footscray Football Club are about to take the field for the first time in the Victorian Football Association’s senior competition … clad in their red caps, blue and white hooped guernseys and socks and knickerbockers.”

“Players began the 1887 season in a dashing new rig-out, the perpendicular [vertical] stripes of red, white and blue …”

“’Looking very neat in their new [1898] uniform’ a distinct 'red, white and blue sash’
against a red Guernsey …”

“The club adopted a new strip for the 1901 season, exchanging the old red Guernsey with the red, white and blue sash for a blue guernsey with red and white horizontal hoops and red stockings.”

“A new jumper with vertical stripes was approved by the League [in 1935] – Footscray hoping to make players at least look bigger …”

Source: A History of the Footscray Football Club by John Lack et al

I wonder how the current group would look in knickerbockers.

Who the **** says I'm not more worried about that? Not me certainly. Strawman.

We are a modern sporting organisation and need to engage with corporate agendas to maintain viability. This is not something that will achieve that, and it takes away far more than it gives. We will get a minor boost from this in funding, that I assume is a once off. In return we show our management to be beholden to a superhero franchise over the true purpose of our club. That jumper should only ever be changed in very special circumstances, and this isnt ******* one of them.

Not a strawman at all. A one of jumper change for a round is but a mere pimple on the arse of commercial sell outs our club has engaged in. I really don't see why you are getting so upset.

It really is no big deal to me or quite a few others it seems.

You are of course welcome to your opinion.

Wood will

Yeah I think he played on him last year and was very good, matched up well athletically. Only some blatant turnovers let buddy off the chain.

I’m more interested in whether Naughton plays back now. Surely he needs to man Reid with Morris down.

Amazing 2018 ends with 3 wins and a great effort against tigers with the youngest list. Generally I felt positive about 2019 season.

The draft seems o/k a tick.

Trade period comes and we pick up steak knives. We had to much average tall timber last season everyone knew it so we change it. Problem is we needed to trade in some quality and we did not do it. So now we are lacking in quality and numbers.

We were average in JLT and our lack of quality talls is alarming now that Dale has gone down and Boyd's season is badly compromised.

The cupboard appears bare:

Naughton will be a star but is in his second year.
Cordy is solid but will be asked to punch above is weight.
Schache looks to be improving but is he a go to tall.
Trengove is an average ruck lacks height and lacks mobility as a key position player.
English shows promise but is at least 12 months away from being a top ruckman.
Sweet is a project player an unlikely to contribute a lot this season.
Roberts has always been a battler and most were surprised he has survived.
Young showed some promise in 2017 but seems to have lost his way.

That is it 8 available talls without Boyd. That would be ok if we had 3 to 4 quality talls and the balance established players pushing for spots. Lets be honest we are in the bottom couple of teams for talls.

So sorry guys I know it does not match my username but I am not feeling very optimistic about this season hopefully we can dominate the midfield and hide some of our problems in the tall man department.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back