Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Geelong > 30 pts

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett is indeed one of the best of all time. His legacy has hurt him perhaps in 2 ways out of his control.
1. Gold Coast failed to attract people in formative years despite having the best player in the comp. While captain of that formative club it is widely known had a very poor culture.

2. He gets protected. I don't believe he's a bad sport or dirty he has just been a protected species for a long long time. It frustrates opposition supporters that he gets (or gets away with) more than he should. That's not his fault but unfortunately he is judged for it.

It's why guys like Callum Ward, Trent Cotchin or going back Lenny Hayes and Paul Kelly were loved by all where Ablett, Selwood are despised.

Though we are all envious of Geelong list and right now they look bloody good.

Great win for the Cats. Always an adventure going up there and I had a bad feeling we'd drop this one. Obviously a pretty scrappy one, but battled it out and eventually got on top. One of those nice games where both teams would probably be quite pleased with the result.

Jordan Clark is a ripper. Good numbers without being eye popping, but he just does everything well.

He abandoned them when he was responsible for the clubs culture going downhill. He didn't want to fix the mess he made, I don't blame the Suns for booing him!
No one player is responsible for an entire organisation's culture, and if they are, then the club isn't worth 2 shits anyway.

No one player is responsible for an entire organisation's culture, and if they are, then the club isn't worth 2 shits anyway.

He sets the standards and as captain leads by example. He should also have the gravitational pull to reign in any bad behaviour. Most decent club captains can do this, Ablett was not a good captain at all.

Wouldn't be a Geelong match day thread without a bunch of nongs whinging bitterly and inaccurately about the umpires.
Or hyperbolic nonsense about Gaz being a s**t bloke.
Been a model AFL citizen up until the last month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed the game and thought I'd check the match day thread. You should all be embarrassed by this steaming pile of turd.

When I came home after being at the ground to watch a game, I used to enjoy going through the match day thread to see how it ebbed and flowed with those watching at home. These days, you'd barely be able to figure out which teams were playing, because three quarters of it are quality posts like "That's deliberate WTF!!!" and "I guess incorrect disposal doesn't exist anymore..."

There's even some neutral posters who come on and as far as I can tell, they just come on here to barrack against the umpires. Each to their own I suppose, but the game day threads in real time aren't exactly a meeting of the minds these days. They maybe go at a two worthwhile posts per page average these days.

Ablett should have handed back the captaincy after his first year, or declined it from day 1. As being captain involves a lot more than deciding which way to kick after a coin toss on game day! The worst AFL captain in history.
As long as history records Richie Vandenberg as being a Captain the title rests easily upon his head

I don't think so Vandenberg was the reason for Hawthorn's cultural change from cellar dweller to premiership force :).
tenor.gif

And I thought the Comedy festival had finished

Back