Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Hawthorn > 30 pts

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on spending the money developing them in a state that doesn't have AFL as a popular sport. They also use multiple draft picks to get each academy player.

I’m sure all teams would tip money into surrounding areas if it meant they had access to first round talent at a budget rate each year.

Rougheads last game?

Bring him in for a farewell game in Rd 22 but I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering why the hell Mitchell Lewis will be plying his trade at Bolton St tomorrow alongside Jackson Ross. Sadly time has caught up with him (alongside a few other Hawks). That's the way it goes.

As for the game itself, always felt the Swans were in control and a typically predictable result of a 3-4 goal loss for the Hawks. We can scrap but have absolutely no system or method for scoring. It's awful to watch. Interesting that Buddy going off actually opened the scoring a bit - it felt for at least two quarters the Swans only way of scoring was to try and kick it to Buddy. He goes off and the forward line became a bit more unpredictable.

So if Paul Kelly's sons grew up in Adelaide you'd be happy for the crows to sign them to an academy and draft them

Why wouldn't you? If they grew up in Adelaide, were massive Crows fans, spent their childhood playing with the Crows academy and really wanted to play for the Crows instead of the Swans, I think I'd rather they play for that team rather than feeling forced to play somewhere they didn't want to.

It's not like the Swans went looking around the league, found Nick Blakey playing for some Victorian team and went "He's good, let's bring his dad in as a coach so he will play for us in the future", he's been here since he was 6 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure all teams would tip money into surrounding areas if it meant they had access to first round talent at a budget rate each year.

And they can. Every club in the league has a region they can exclusively recruit from for an academy

Why wouldn't you? If they grew up in Adelaide, were massive Crows fans, spent their childhood playing with the Crows academy and really wanted to play for the Crows instead of the Swans, I think I'd rather they play for that team rather than feeling forced to play somewhere they didn't want to.

It's not like the Swans went looking around the league, found Nick Blakey playing for some Victorian team and went "He's good, let's bring his dad in as a coach so he will play for us in the future", he's been here since he was 6 years old.
So why have the draft at all then

Sydney a chance to play finals? Might depend on how they fare without bud. We should be able to dispose of the Hawks next week. The kind of game we should win.
Your kidding aren't you?. We are just about done this year, playing with zero confidence and zero flair. We are ripe for a belting because if we do we may finally start to see the kids being played instead of stubbornly going to old faithful every week as Clarko has his head in the sand ATM.

So why have the draft at all then

We're developing players in a non-traditional AFL area who would likely end up playing Rugby Union, Rugby League or Football if they weren't introduced to Aussie Rules.

We don't just get to say "We'll have these 5 guns we've developed", it's a draft process. The other clubs have access to that talent too and can bid on the player. We can match it but have to pay the price for it in the form of additional picks. If Carlton picks one of our academy players at pick 1 and we want him, we might have to give Carlton 3 picks in return. In Blakey's case, GWS picked him at #10 and we had to match.

I really don't see what the issue is, unless you don't understand the process. It's identical to father/son picks.

We're developing players in a non-traditional AFL area who would likely end up playing Rugby Union, Rugby League or Football if they weren't introduced to Aussie Rules.

We don't just get to say "We'll have these 5 guns we've developed", it's a draft process. The other clubs have access to that talent too and can bid on the player. We can match it but have to pay the price for it in the form of additional picks. If Carlton picks one of our academy players at pick 1 and we want him, we might have to give Carlton 3 picks in return. In Blakey's case, GWS picked him at #10 and we had to match.

I really don't see what the issue is, unless you don't understand the process. It's identical to father/son picks.

I believe the point being that although Sydney is not a traditional AFL place, the Swans team has been around since the early 80's.. coming onto 40 years. It's not like the team was set up yesterday. Why should one team have access to such a large population base. It's not like we are talking back end country towns with population 50.

Whi
T

They do

Next Generation Academies
Which are so restricted in who is eligible that they are a farce.

The reason why the Academy is a farce is that you get to jump the queue. A team's slated first pick may be number 14, but hey presto if the Academy player is effectively a pick 3 you get him.

I would take a pick 3 and be able to pay for him with later picks every day of the week.

Cut and dice it any way you want but based purely on the players it has produced to date it is a huge advantage. I would take it in a heartbeat.

PS
It is not why the Swans won today. That is due to Hawks topping up and building such an old list of players whose time is up. The Hawks will possibly be the oldest bottom 4 team ever.

good loss.

Hopefully we can keep this losing momentum up. We have some very tough matches that we might be a chance of winning in Tassie. Really hoping we can put in our old faithful stars and snatch losses in these winnable games.

The draft is my premiership

good loss.

Hopefully we can keep this losing momentum up. We have some very tough matches that we might be a chance of winning in Tassie. Really hoping we can put in our old faithful stars and snatch losses in these winnable games.

The draft is my premiership

Better be careful or Clarkson will take that way from you again...

Back