Autopsy AFL 2019 Round 18: Geelong Cats vs. Hawthorn, 1:10pm AEST MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

During 09, 10 and 11 Hawthorn turned over half their list. The Hawthorn team of those times wouldn't have got within 8 goals of the 12-15 teams

The hawks 3 peat team would have pantsed our 2008 team comfortably. A team which beat Geelongs greatest team of all time

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The hawks 3 peat team would have pantsed our 2008 team comfortably. A team which beat Geelongs greatest team of all time

Rubbish. Our ‘13 team minus 2 of our best is better than the 08 one is it?
Shows you have no idea.
Hawks continually got very nervous. Umps saved you often #freekickhawthorn.
You didn’t get the most frees during the years, you didn’t need them.
Only needed them struggling at the G against sides like crows and port.
2015 Fyfe gets injured umpires step up again in 1st half when it mattered.

Amazing how many teams had bad day against us.

Don’t act like I said every side had a bad day. I’ve claimed 2/5 did, Sydney and West Coast.
‘08 wasn’t great but it wasn’t just pure BAD like Sydney and west coast who didn’t give a yelp.
They weren’t that bad, just like you weren’t that good. :)

Rubbish. Our ‘13 team minus 2 of our best is better than the 08 one is it?
Shows you have no idea.

🤦🏼‍♂️ I said 08 was your greatest team of all time and we beat it with a side that our 3 peat team would have smashed. Jesus keep up.

And it’s been done to death how Port 14 were almost umpired to victory over us, not the other way. Just like you guys couldn’t capitalise on the arm chair ride of 13 PF..... and 08 GF. Your PF luck theory has been smashed so many times I’m cursing myself that I’m setting your #head*ed mind straight once again.

I mean I’m sorry.... don’t wanna laugh at you but Jesus I feel sorry for you how bad it burns and how hard you find it to accept that it has nothing to do with luck and all to do with the fact it was clearly just a great team.

About the only thing you have right is that yes the 80s Hawks were better. The greatest team of all time.

Last edited:
I’ve been very consistent on my thoughts on Hawthorn over the years. 2008 was easily your most impressive flag.
I rated us highly, really highly and you knocked us off without luck playing a part. I can’t think of an excuse we lost, your whole finals series was good.

Geelong had an impressive couple of years at that stage, but looking back you have to wonder if they were somewhat overrated, given what happened in the GF in 2008 (not to mention the previous meeting with Hawthorn during H&A also being quite close). If you look at the list we had in 2008 and compare it to the ones we were able to put on the field from 2012 to 2015, 2008 looks very third rate.

13-15 I feel was more luck.

Yes, we get that a lot. Especially from Geelong fans.

2012 shouldn’t have made the GF, that prelim I felt you had the umps more than ever and it added nice GF experience.

Let's not forget we finished top of the ladder in 2012, with a percentage of 155. Adelaide had finished second, only percentage behind us, so it wasn't that surprising that the prelim was close. Even so we kicked 13.19 vs 14.8. Very clearly the better side on the day other than goal kicking. 64 inside 50s to 38. Should have been a massacre. Like with most Hawthorn games people like to concentrate on the few poor umpiring decisions that confirms their bias, while ignoring the questionable ones that went the other way.

2013 would’ve choked again if we had Enright and Chappy.

Of course. That vital cog Chapman. The bloke you delisted right after that game because the club thought he wasn't up to it anymore.

You see by 2013 we were not anywhere near like 07-11 but there you are the supposed ‘greatest side ever’ only just scraping past us

You'd obviously had a psychological hold over us for a long period of time at that stage. Often impacted our composure in front of goals. Would have been criminal if we lost that game after 10 more scoring shots though. You were thoroughly outplayed, and the right team won in the end.

Freo in the GF, crows, swans year before and port in a PF at the G.

Great sides don’t struggle that often, do you think you played like a great side in any of those games?

If we had played better , and smashed those games in the same manner we smashed Sydney in 2014 and Eagles in 2015 you'd be saying we never had a difficult opponent. Flags are not easy to win, even good teams can have bad days, we managed to get over the line in most of our bad games (2012 GF the exception), unlike Geelong in 2008. When you play in as many finals as Hawthorn did over the 2012-2015 period, of course you are going to be able to cherry pick a few examples of games where we were not at our best. 2014 and 2015 GF day were pretty awesome displays of football power though.

By the 2014 GF all these fortunate wins that could have so easily been chokes year after year has turned into a sense of immortality.
Didn’t beat eagles week 1 of finals and suddenly here is a home grand final.

Or put another way, travelled to Perth and back twice during finals to play the teams that finished top and second top on the H&A ladder and then completely demolished our opponent in the GF on the hottest GF day on record, despite playing on very likely tired (and certainly old) legs. Also beat Adelaide 135 to 61 in our Semi. All very lucky of course. LOL.

If you actually believe all you've typed, I sincerely hope you eventually let go of the fact that Hawthorn were the team that stopped Geelong's 3-peat when Geelong had their best team playing. The chip it has left on your shoulder appears to make it difficult for you to look at our own three-peat with even a smidgeon of objectivity.

Last edited:
Why is this thread still going? We know you won in 2008, and we know you won 3 in a row. For those that keep flogging the free kick count balance; Hawthorn had more last time we played - who cares.
Ask your mate Whiskers. If he didn't keep going out of his way to show how head*ed he is, Hawks fans wouldn't be commenting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back