Autopsy AFL 2019 Round 19: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 1:45pm AEST UTAS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigger win than I thought it would be.

Really a repeat of so many games this season - the opposition play better in the first half, but Brisbane pull away in the second because they take more of their chances.

Disappointing loss given the stats sheet. Second time in the last 6 weeks we've lost to a top 4 side after having more scoring shots. 0.7 from set shots half way through the third quarter was the game done really. Credit to Brisbane for defending the deep ball well, making a lot of the set shots from positions that were tricky in the windy conditions. They also did a good job of getting the ball deep when they went into attack themselves. Hope Hodge plays on next year, and we can steal at least one win from him in a Brisbane jumper before he retires.

Keep winning Lions. Gotta stop Tigers getting two home finals.

Ouch. That is some bad ring sting.
Season ended by Hodgey and his new team.

Not really. While I'd love us to get a win against Hodge, I think most Hawk fans still love Hodge (and Fagan) and that makes losses against them hurt less than they would against other teams. Would much rather lose 4 in a row to a team with Hodge in it, than to loose 4 in a row to Geelong or the cheats. We're just thankful he didn't go to Geelong or Essendon :)

I wonder if playing an injured Hipwood is going to bite them later in the year. I understand why they feel they need to play him but not sure he can keep going for another couple of months on one leg.

Good to see Rayner getting a bit more of it.

Brisbane for whatever reason have a lot of players who are very quick to get their foot to the ball - in modern footy that is quite a weapon if you have a few players like that.

No way our medical team play him unless they're 100% confident it won't bite them on the ass - we've got in form forwards in the NEAFL waiting for their chance so we're not desperate to play him.

Bigger win than I thought it would be.

Really a repeat of so many games this season - the opposition play better in the first half, but Brisbane pull away in the second because they take more of their chances.

Hawks may have given everything last week, but goal kicking is still wrecking games for us.
Brissy are on the way though, some big guns to beat if they want a flag, but that's how it happens , you go past what is needed and you believe, our side is still working on the getting to know each other and perfecting it, good luck Lions you will get a shot and if you believe it can be done you'll do it. No worries.
You need to work out a plan for Richmond though, they look to be hitting the right end of the season in the right form, very polished.
Bloody Dangerous!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks may have given everything last week, but goal kicking is still wrecking games for us.
Brissy are on the way though, some big guns to beat if they want a flag, but that's how it happens , you go past what is needed and you believe, our side is still working on the getting to know each other and perfecting it, good luck Lions you will get a shot and if you believe it can be done you'll do it. No worries.
You need to work out a plan for Richmond though, they look to be hitting the right end of the season in the right form, very polished.
Bloody Dangerous!

Yeah Richmond's a definite danger game, especially at the MCG.

If Geelong keep playing below their best though, we should be able to win at least 3 out of the next 4 games, which will put us on 64 points (equal to our 1999 side). Should be enough for 3rd at least.

I think big Mason Cox is carrying an injury for Collingwood too. But what is really ignorant is playing someone who is not fully fit. who is carrying something, then plays accordingly so what is the point?

Structurally, he demands a tall and capable defender which really helps their forward line open up and give the smalls a lot of room.
If he's not doing any further damage by playing, it's probably worthwhile as opposed to bringing in someone relatively unknown and having defenders show little respect.

Ignorant comment given he's carrying a knee injury.
I've made the same comment on multiple occasions well before his injury. Brisbane are my second team I've watched nearly every week for a decade.

No need to get upset. I think he's a jet. He's also been frustrating for a while because of how good he can be.

How many players are truly "fully fit" at this stage of the season....

That is probably true, but these guys get paid small fortunes even the younger less experienced, and if they are telling porkies to get on the field and are then seen to not be up to normal capacity, then they are breaking a contract! Now that sounds a bit mercenary, but it can cost a match, even a Grand Final

I know some clubs have to play at risk some elite and real footballers for a reason but even that is not right. That is a scenario where in fact OH&S is a reality.

Yet the AFL has turned our game into an OH&S joke with the do not touch rules of engagement these days , yet clubs can risk players, or players are that unprofessional that they take the risk and say I'm OK!
YOU SEE THAT ALSO LETS YOUR TEAM DOWN.

So I bet you are probably right this happens all the time, it shouldn't , if Hipwood was carrying a knee, and he is a young big long skinny whippet, he is wide open to serious injury , I don't get it.

Like I don't get why coaches do not expect their players who are fully professional and have plenty of time during the week to do extreme amounts pf kicking footballs through goals practice. Which they obviously don't do?
And if they do, ITS NOT ENOUGH !
1 Goal 11 behinds is effing disgraceful. Hawthorn have had games sewn up to a degree on lots of occasions, and miss set shots, and then pack it in that happens with youngsters but surely having straight shooters regularly helps the under 50m game players to settle and get confidence, you know when Lewis had the ball just on or outside the fifty arc, he was continually looking for a pass off to someone else, if he is a gun which we hope he is, then he takes the shot!
But he looked fior a way out too many times, before kicking , which said to me he was already in his mind, put off for the day, and 11 game players will do that.
The game is looking boring and really subtly changed more this year?
The whole AFL has kicking jitters or lack skill, goals only come from going through the 2 tallest sticks and they have to come off a boot.... kids,
yeah foot ball, its how you win.
Even Jack Riewoldt got a mark on the siren and when it went off, he realised he couldn't kick a circus hook, but if he did not step off his mark he could legally kick an around the corner off one step circus hook, and he did and missed.
Jack is generally an elite kicker and he is an actual "footballer" not just an athletic runner, he thinks football, like Dusty, but he should have taken himself by the scruff of the neck and said "Jack , you can kick a dead straight drop punt and put it through.
But he didn't he chickened out and kicked a failure of a circus hook. Bloody terrible.

Ask Dunstall or Lockett or any real footballer, forward , what they think, Jon Brown knows , the players have no confidence in how to score , too frightened to miss, so they use dribbles or hooks on the run ( they are fine when you are in play AND YOU CAN DO IT?) but they have an excuse if they miss, that is what is going on, funny thing fear , they get paid upwards of $150,000 dollars to a $million a year for some, yet they can't find time to do over kill practice of goal shooting, over and over and over and over, SO THEY CAN KICK A SCORE!!!
THAT'S WHAT YOUR PAID FOR YOU PLAYERS!

You are paid for kicking, in reality , something like, on a good day 4 goals 3 behinds , NOT... 2 GOALS 5 BEHINDS OR 1 GOAL 7 BEHINDS .
(I mean deliberate shots set, or on the run)
AND SOME DAYS BOTH OPPONENTS ARE AS BAD AS EACH OTHER, WOEFUL, THE GAME IS ON A SKILL LOSING PATH RIGHT NOW, BORING AS BAT s**t SOME GAMES.
Worse, if you watch 2 or 3 more games than your own clu,b and it's all the same thing!

Get rid of infringement calls in ruck work too, 2 goals from nonsense in two different games in the last two weeks of footy, Rucking is a contest to hit or tap or grab the ball contesting by pushing grabbing shoving is what IT IS MEANT TO BE! ! ! !

This is another idiocy in the rules that are not needed , why is there a free kick in Ruckwork at all?
IT IS UNFAIR! ARE THE AFL HIERARCHY ALL BLIND? Hocking do you have half a brain.

AND HOW OFTEN DO FOOTY FOLLOWERS LIKE ME HAVE TO BRING ALL THIS UP?

AND OTHERS DO I'M SURE. BEFORE PEOPLE SEE THE SUBTLE RUINATION OF CONTACT AND CONTEST IN OUR BODY CONTACT SPORT.

AND START COMPLAINING EN MASSE

AFL need to be cleaned out, and the commentators need retraining, too much bias which is off putting for TV watchers.

Never saw the last quarter in Tassie yesterday the game was crap and I knew we'd dump it! That's what the game of my life has come too , f****d up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back