Autopsy AFL 2019 Round 19: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 1:45pm AEST UTAS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

They have to practice one basic skill especially if you are not familiar with an Australian rules Football, BUT I DON'T THINK THEY PRACTICE ENOUGH
AND WHEN I SAY PRACTICE I MEAN PRACTICE! TO CARRY OUT A SKILL THAT THEY ARE PAID TO DO, the kicking in the game now is pretty horrendous.

Hawks could close games down if they kicked better, they used to , but the skill is the basis of the game, you see to get scores you actually have to kick them??? YOU ALSO HAVE TO KICK A HANDFUL OF POINTS , hopefully not too many , to a point where you are so nervous of your capacity to kick a goal that sometimes you swing your leg you drop the ball wrong onto the foot, BUT... YOU ARE REAL GOOD AT THE DRIBBLE OR CIRCUS SIDE BALL... we should actually have a break on Brisbane not be behind, this match should not turn out like last time , this is our time to show Brisbane just where they may really be? .
I say that because neither of these two today, will have half a hope of beating Richmond, perhaps some youngster overkill, with over enthusiasm, but Sicily is not brand new player, he's had some experience but he finnesses with the ball when a slick hand pass should be given, he takes that one extra move , WHY, or he gathers somewhere looking really good , then gets caught just TAKING THAT EXTRA LITTLE motion/side step/ and gets nabbed sometimes.

Get out of the habit, what made Hawthorn great was the ball moving instantly to where you knew your team mate was, fancy pants stuff is crud , and it doesn't make you a good footballer it makes you a frigging show off.
Our new set up is seeing our players starting to read each other better, and that is a discipline that is an absolute so you have to play the team game when you get that good. Sicily is a great footballer he is not a champion yet by a stretch and I have seen him finesse in more than today and get messed up because an opponent is on him, when he gives the Hawks opportunities he is just magnificent , when he screws up not because he is playing badly but because he tries to do too much , then it looks like he's taking the personal self , more than the team thing.

Maybe he doesn't its maybe a habit he has to rid himself of. That handball in the 1st q, he lobbed it up in the air to high, his team mate had to wait that fraction too long, it got taken away , that was from a great player doing a stupid thing, to or a crappy skill from him not concentrating.
Its only one thing one day but if it happens once every 23 games then there is twenty three opportunities your opponents have of stuffing you up and scoring, considering he's a defender!

The funny side to this is Crawf bolting down the ground baulking and side stepping , ha ha ha but no one was anywhere near him, now thats showing off, but Crawf could do it while at the same time breaking a taggers heart!

As for 10 or 11 game Lewis , he'll fix that stuff up , and he needs to not be stupid again like that and take advantage away from his team.
Both instances reasonably close together , in my lounge nearly had a brick through the TV set!!! heh heh heh!

Called it didn't I. You guys should have been 3 or 4 goals up at quarter time and you will probably lose by that margin.

Lions showing signs of becoming a seriously good team (aside from the whole being second thing). Even when the match isn't on their terms, they're still doing enough to get on top.

Exciting times for them going forward that this is happening so early.

The kick now just for goal, saw a Brisbane player run past take a handpass and the rest is history, did anyone notice Sicily, his eyes after his tackle were firmly on the umpire, and the Umpiring these last few years has made Sicily a target, instead of looking at what the ball holder was going to do he was looking at what the umpire was going to call , because he is always worried about being free kicked against, now this is not imagination , Sicily can barely go near the ball without bias against him even sub consciously by umpires, and now created for himself, I think Brisbane have their game going now, we look finished, and the run past was good play, But the young fella was looking directly at the umpire and the ball went, thats a pity if he is spooked by the umpires.

But for me umpires do that to some harder players, or people they take a dislike to, like big Collingwood and Footscray forward Cloke, umpires gave that bloke nothing, NOTHING! And Sicily gets hammered and gets nothing , where players like Dangerfield get the benefit of every doubt in fact to a point of bias so plain, that is another point about things that have begun ruining the game because of over zealous biased umpiring and grey rules, but I think we may have given our all last week.
Pity we should not miss so many goal shots!

I wonder if playing an injured Hipwood is going to bite them later in the year. I understand why they feel they need to play him but not sure he can keep going for another couple of months on one leg.

Good to see Rayner getting a bit more of it.

Brisbane for whatever reason have a lot of players who are very quick to get their foot to the ball - in modern footy that is quite a weapon if you have a few players like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back