Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn-vs-Bulldogs.png
Where and when: MCG, Sunday March 31, 3.20pm AEDT

Melbourne Forecast
1.PNG
Cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Winds west to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h tending west to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

Last time they met: Marvel Stadium, round 16, 2018. Western Bulldogs 9.5 (59) lost to Hawthorn 19.8 (122)
Hawthorn star Luke Breust led the charge as the Hawks obliterated the Bulldogs by 63 points. Breust kicked a career-best six goals, four of those in the first term, while Jarryd Roughead and Jack Gunston booted four apiece. Daniel Howe had the job tagging star Marcus Bontempelli, with the Dogs vice-captain gathering 23 possessions but he had little impact. The loss for the Dogs effectively ended their hopes of making the finals.

What it means for Hawthorn: Many pundits didn't have Hawthorn in the top eight this season, and while a shock win over the Crows may have swayed a few, the Hawks need to keep the momentum going and bank as many early wins as possible.

What it means for Western Bulldogs: The last time the Bulldogs beat the Hawks was in a semi-final during their premiership-winning year. If they can nab the four points here, the confidence levels at the Kennel will be sky-high.

How Hawthorn wins: It was an even contribution across the board against the Crows. Ben McEvoy was impressive in the ruck, and if he can continue his dominance and give first use to young Hawks James Worpel and Jaeger O'Meara, they will be hard to stop.

How Western Bulldogs wins: Round one saw the Bulldogs return to the manic pressure that delivered them a premiership in 2016. If they can keep that up, it will go a long way to stopping the Hawks in their tracks.

The stat: The Bulldogs struggled last year when it came to entries inside 50. They were ranked 12th in the competition, averaging 52 per game. Already there is a huge improvement in 2019, with 68 against the Swans in the opening round, which has them leading the competition.

The match-up: James Sicily v Aaron Naughton
Aaron Naughton announced himself as the Bulldogs' No.1 forward against the Swans, his athleticism and presence causing plenty of headaches for the Sydney defence. He kicked three goals and took five marks inside 50. James Frawley probably doesn't have the speed to keep up with Naughton, with young Hawk James Sicily a better match-up. Sicily spent time on Taylor Walker in round one and kept him goalless, while having 26 disposals, 15 rebound 50s and taking 10 marks himself.

It's a big week for: Chad Wingard
The question is will he play? He has said publicly that he is eyeing off a return in round two following a pre-season marred by a troublesome calf. Should he make his debut for the brown and gold, he'll need a good showing to justify to the Hawks giving up young gun Ryan Burton and last year's pick 15 in the NAB AFL Draft.

Recruit Chad Wingard will want to make a good impression for his new club - if he plays. Picture: AFL Photos
New%20Hawk%20Chad%20Wingard.JPG

Big call: Worpedo stars again, new favourite for the Brownlow

Prediction: Hawthorn by 17 points

Source: AFL Website

Quietly confident, happy to go in as underdog though. I think our mids should control the play. Our scoring capacity has improved since last year, and a few more inside 50s should help this as long as we can capitalise.

Dogs by 17pts

Looking forward to this one. One side will unexpectedly start the season 2-0. The Hawkers have North next week and would fancy their chances to go 3-0 if they get the chocolates here. Likewise the Doggies who face Gold Coast.

Should be a good game.

Looking forward to this one. One side will unexpectedly start the season 2-0. The Hawkers have North next week and would fancy their chances to go 3-0 if they get the chocolates here. Likewise the Doggies who face Gold Coast.

Should be a good game.

Saints round 4 too, so it could set up a tasty Easter Monday game if Hawthorn can win those 3.

I think the Hawks precision will make life a lit harder for the Bulldogs this week. Tipping a dominant win for them.

Sicily to have a field day against a forward line that will have him eager with anticipation.

Worpel needs to maintain his great game last week to keep them in the midfield contest though. No pressure. I don't think they need to win the midfield but they can't be flogged there naturally. A dominant ruck will help.

My interest is in seeing how Scully goes. I take Clarkson's comments onboard, I dont think he's a bullshitter. For Tom's sake I'm just hoping he can produce enough today as a platform to build on in the coming weeks.

I think the Hawks precision will make life a lit harder for the Bulldogs this week. Tipping a dominant win for them.

Here’s hoping, for your sanity if anything. A heavy GWS loss and a bulldogs win is almost your footy doomsday.

Just hoping we maintain the competitiveness from last week. Very early in the season so need to keep building on that.

Here’s hoping, for your sanity if anything. A heavy GWS loss and a bulldogs win is almost your footy doomsday.

Just hoping we maintain the competitiveness from last week. Very early in the season so need to keep building on that.
You really need to stop constructing fantasies about what I think, to have any chance of personal growth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back