• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
You do realise the quarter only ends when the umpire acknowledges the siren? You know after Gunston completed the goal.
Nuh that wouldn't fit your narrative, carry on.

Not right. Quarter finishes when the umpire HEARS the siren not when he or she acknowledges it with hands in the air.

FWIW being at the ground i was comfortable it was a goal....just.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No it didn't. The kick was on its way as the siren went I reckon and clearly before the umpire had signalled the siren/quarter end.

Clearly heard before it touched his boot. Assuming it's synced, the siren went first. However I think the qtr only ends when the umpire acknowledges the siren by blowing the whistle. I can't remember the rule exactly.

Edit: I checked, and the play ends when the umpire hears the siren. So the goal should not have been allowed.
AFL needs a clock to countdown, synced with the vision, as this current rule is obviously too subjective. It needs to be done like the end of an nba game. Can you imagine a grand final being decided by a player kicking the ball as the siren sounds?

Last edited:

burnside5

All Australian
May 23, 2010
Shoreham
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just watched vision of that free kick against Sicily late in the game with the scores locked up which resulted in a Schache goal, was one of the softest frees I have ever seen, disgraceful umpiring, if they're going to pay them there'll be 50 frees a game, you can not pick and choose soft frees like that, there must be a modicum of consistency surely. It was a regulation push and shove.

Sort of like the O'Meara one which he pushed the player back in the chest with an open hand. Let's not forget the Worpel running in the circle one...lol...

If this game was not fixed than I would be amazed as they were not only just a few decisions that did not make sense at all...

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Sort of like the O'Meara one which he pushed the player back in the chest with an open hand. Let's not forget the Worpel running in the circle one...lol...

If this game was not fixed than I would be amazed as they were not only just a few decisions that did not make sense at all...

I hate to admit it but I have to agree. I've had a suspicion for a long time that match fixing has been going on in the AFL and today's game proves it. At three quarter time I saw Bevo make the Illuminati hand gesture to one of the umps and the rest is history.

There's nothing wrong with the Worpel free kick. The umpire told the group of Hawks players he was going to start his approach while they were all still in the centre circle. He told them to get out. Worpel went the longest possible way to get out of the circle. As everyone knows, only one player per team is allowed in the circle at commencement of play. Umpire went to commence play when he's shown that he can, Hawks still have more than one player in the circle, obvious free.

Enough can be said about the prohibited contact frees, and I agree the O'Meara and Sicily calls were soft, but the Worpel one is obvious.

2 of 9. Even without those frees, of which at least 1 was there, we still win :)
I just re-watched the last quarter and from the time Gunston kicks his goal to put them 30 up until the Worpel free, i'm pretty sure we didn't get a single free kick anywhere on the field, let alone for shots on goal (if we did and i'm just not remembering it then it was one at most). We'd kicked about 6 goals in that time. The complaining about Sicily's last free kick and subsequent 50m penalty and them having any effect on the result are hilarious. Had his arm wrapped around Gowers, always going to be called. Then screams at the umpire and swears at him, always gonna be 50m. I'm pretty sure Billy was comfortable having his 2m shot from outside the square regardless of the 50m penalty as well.

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I've seen Hawthorn play two first halves and two partial last quarters. Really need to tune into a third. That seems to be when they do their thing.

Dogs crushed the clearances and inside 50s and scores per inside 50 was pretty even. Surprising stats there but the last 15 minutes was repeat inside 50s and goal after goal so the balance would've been out before then. Rapt to see Schache starting to impose himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pepperlad

Debutant
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So having watched the replay you get the feeling the umpires just had a collective moment of madness and Hawthorn were just the unlucky ones on the receiving end. Bad day at the office and some very embarrassed officials but, to be fair, the pressure of "edicts" coming out of Central office was always going to end with a farce like this. Much like the yo-yoing interpretation of "deliberate".
My god you guys are pathetic whingers. :eek:

Your team got absolutely destroyed by the other team in the 4th. The only genuinely bad umpiring decision was the Sicily non-punch.

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Which Sicily free kick do you mean? The one where he tackled a player mid-air or the one where he punched a player and went on to abuse an umpire for picking him up on it?
Obviously the one which gave the Dogs the lead. I believe the other one was there, but I understand Sicily's frustrations.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
The free against Sicily was as bad as you'll see no one can defend that rubbish. That one call has directly cost a team a game.

Lol.

The doggies had kicked 4 goals in 7 minutes at that point. The Hawks players were hands on knees at any stoppage.

The Dogs were going to win that game before the Sicily free.

Hawkforce

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 9, 2000
London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham
My god you guys are pathetic whingers. :eek:

Your team got absolutely destroyed by the other team in the 4th. The only genuinely bad umpiring decision was the Sicily non-punch.

Huh? Where on earth did I suggest the result wasn't correct? Or "whinged"?

I was speaking to the ludicrously over-umpired interpretation of the "jumper punching" rule - which has not been enforced at all over early games and yet saw Impey penalised (after being "hit" first"); O'Meara penalised for something completely innocuous reversing a Roughead shot at goal, and Sicily - which you have graciously conceded was a s**t decision.

If you read back my post I was just pointing out that Hawthorn was the unlucky recipient of an inevitable overreaction on this vague rule. I didn't say it was a conspiracy; nor did I say it was the reason we lost. I just noted that a rule that hasn't been officiated at all this season saw three BIG decisions all go against one team in one match. Could have been any team - just happened to be Hawthorn.

Pull your ******* head in.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The rule of not being allowed in the centre circle before a bounce has always been there, you know that yeah?

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
So having watched the replay you get the feeling the umpires just had a collective moment of madness and Hawthorn were just the unlucky ones on the receiving end. Bad day at the office and some very embarrassed officials but, to be fair, the pressure of "edicts" coming out of Central office was always going to end with a farce like this. Much like the yo-yoing interpretation of "deliberate".
Always the umpires fault of course it’s never because the better team outplayed you

Typical hawks

Back