Autopsy AFL 2019 Round 20: North Melbourne v Hawthorn, 19:50 AEST Marvel Stadium. NM win 86-64

NTH v HAW - Who wins?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

His size and speed looked so good in the juniors but he hasn’t translated it to the AFL. But he is still very young and has lots of time left, just doesn’t look likely yet

He is going to be an inside player, many inside players struggle a bit during their early years. At the same age he is well ahead of where Cunnington was at the same age, gets more of the contested ball, uses it a lot better, probably similar to a lot of inside mids who ended either spending a lot of time in the VFL or ended up being traded off like Hawthorn did with Kennedy.

With Cunnington, Ziebell and others used as the go-to targets for ruckmen and him spending a fair bit of time on the pine, like a lot of young inside mids have, they find it a bit harder to get into games as they aren't exactly playing the role they will be in their prime.

We were missing Heppell, Daniher, Bellchambers and Smith

Don't see any Mitchell's amongst that lot. Heppell is almost as good as Impey on one of his good days. Listing Daniher is like us listing Birchall. Except Birchall was actually a consistently good player before getting the injury curse.

Humiliated on your home ground today. Happy times.

Don't see any Mitchell's amongst that lot. Heppell is almost as good as Impey on one of his good days. Listing Daniher is like us listing Birchall. Except Birchall was actually a consistently good player before getting the injury curse.

Lol.

Keep deflecting.

Lol.

Keep deflecting.

Oh, and using injuries as an excuse against Gold coast. Pathetic. Have you seen their injury list? Essendon are simply s**t. Injuries are not the main issue, they've actually got some decent depth to cover their injuries compared to some other lists (like Hawthorn's). Their problem is that even their best team is underwhelming when you look at their top level talent (or lack thereof). Essendon's injury list was the same size as Hawthorn's leading into this round. You just overrate the quality of your outs.

Oh, and using injuries as an excuse against Gold coast. Pathetic. Have you seen their injury list? Essendon are simply s**t. Injuries are not the main issue, they've actually got some decent depth to cover their injuries compared to some other lists (like Hawthorn's). Their problem is that even their best team is underwhelming when you look at their top level talent (or lack thereof). Essendon's injury list was the same size as Hawthorn's leading into this round. You just overrate the quality of your outs.

I listed our injuries against North you muppet.

Keep deflecting.

Sorry, it is hard to keep up with your excuses.

What excuses?

I said Hawthorn were missing only 3 of their best 22.

You retorted by bringing up your injuries both before and during the game before casually throwing out that Essendon only just fell across the line against North.

I then listed our injury list in that North game including both before and during to point out that we managed to beat North despite also having injuries.

You then went off half cocked about Impey being better than Heppell and how I am making excuses about GC? (I never mentioned GC at any point)

You are a Muppet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hawks were missing three (? I will let Hawks fans correct me here) from their best 22 tonight. (Mitchell, Impey, Scrimshaw)

They are in ******* dire straits

We also lost Birchall during the game, and looks like McEvoy may have played on with a broken thumb, and barely looked like marking afterwards (not that I think they impacted the result, North just too good after quarter time). Mitchell out is huge for us because of the flow on effect it has in the midfield. We can have purple patches in games, like we had at the start, but with a shallow midfield, the opposition can curb the influence of whatever mid we have that is running hot, and we have less quality players to step up to help than most other midfields in the competition right now. Has happened all year, and is part of the reason we've got out to some decent leads and coughed them up a number of times this year. Not only will Mitchell back be good, but he'll allow O'Meara and Worpel to be more damaging across the entire game too.

Mitchell was easily our best player last year, and Impey was arguably our best across the season this year (him and Henderson probably first and second in the B&F when Impey went down - not really sure in which order). You take two of the best 2 or 3 performed players out of any team , and they are going to struggle at times. Essendon were hardly convincing against this mob a few weeks ago, and even less so against GC, what band should we be likening them to (other than the obvious Johnny Diesel and the Injectors)?

You are also underselling North who were very good after quarter time. Hunted the ball much better than us after then, and got the rewards on the scoreboard that they deserved. Shaw did well in the coaching box after quarter time, and he and the players adapted well to fix the issues that allowed us to jump them in the first quarter.

Disappointing loss, that while not completely ruling out finals, does move the situation from 'very good chance if we win the rest' to 'small mathematical chance if we win the rest'.

Then we lost Hurley during the game.

Nice deflection though.

Lol.

Keep deflecting.
I listed our injuries against North you muppet.

Keep deflecting.
Sorry, it is hard to keep up with your excuses.

Lol.

What excuses?

The ones where you were explaining why Essendon didn't look very impressive against North (or GC).

You're the one that raised Hawthorn injuries first, not me.

North played well, and we lost. We'll have a clearer view of exactly how dire our straights are when we get our best player back next year.

Call it deflection if you want, I just find it amusing when a fan of a team that barely got over GC, and just got smashed on their home ground by a team outside the 8 with the same sized injury list as Hawthorn thinks WE are in dire straights.

Show some respect to North, give them some credit for playing well, and * off to the Essendon board to wring your hands over their latest humiliating loss.

The ones where you were explaining why Essendon didn't look very impressive against North (or GC).

You're the one that raised Hawthorn injuries first, not me.

North played well, and we lost. We'll have a clearer view of exactly how dire our straights are when we get our best player back next year.

Call it deflection if you want, I just find it amusing when a fan of a team that barely got over GC, and just got smashed on their home ground by a team outside the 8 with the same sized injury list as Hawthorn thinks WE are in dire straights.

Show some respect to North, give them some credit for playing well, and fu** off to the Essendon board to wring your hands over their latest humiliating loss.

Do you simply not have reading comprehension skills?

Where did I use our injuries as an excuse for our poor play against GC? In fact where did I even mention GC?

North did play well on Friday (after the first quarter) They also played well against us.

I listed our injuries to point out YOUR excuse of using injuries.

I first brought up Hawthorns injuries to highlight their lack of depth.

Essendon were horrendous today and last week. I fully admit that, unlike you I don't make up s**t when my team is s**t.

Do you simply not have reading comprehension skills?

Where did I use our injuries as an excuse for our poor play against GC? In fact where did I even mention GC?

You replied to a post where I pointed out you were not great against North OR GC with:

It was GC I'd mentioned at the bottom of the post you were replying to , so without you actually specifying I assumed you were talking about GC.

I listed our injuries to point out YOUR excuse of using injuries.

No. I only mentioned injuries because you raised our injuries and seemed to dismiss them, despite us having the same length injury list during the week as you did. I certainly didn't use them as an excuse, what I actually did say was:

We also lost Birchall during the game, and looks like McEvoy may have played on with a broken thumb, and barely looked like marking afterwards (not that I think they impacted the result, North just too good after quarter time)

But I guess with your limited reading comprehension you thought that was an excuse. I was simply pointing out that your assessment that we were only "really" missing Mitchell, Impey and Scrimshaw was inaccurate.

I first brought up Hawthorns injuries to highlight their lack of depth.

And I pointed out you were underselling our injury situation. You mentioned our best 22 players that were injured, but depth isn't just about your best 22, it is about who you have in reserve to bring in when members of your best 22 are out, and from that point of view, we both had 10 on the injury list prior to the weekend, but you didn't want to listen to that because it didn't suit your cheap shot.

Essendon were horrendous today and last week. I fully admit that, unlike you I don't make up s**t when my team is s**t.

I don't actually think we were that s**t this week, and we've been reasonably competitive for a number of weeks now. North and their new coach deserve credit for a good win. I'd certainly not have been mentioning our injuries if you hadn't raised the topic in such a disingenuous manner. Which isn't to say I don't like making excuses. I certainly made some last week, because we had the better of it for large stretches, and could have easily won given the amount of set shots we had. This week, we were good in short patches only. Unfortunately for us, North were just better for longer, and they deserved the win. They've probably been unlucky not to have a few more wins on the board. I agree with you that Essendon were s**t last week and this week. If my team was putting out performances like that, I'd probably hesitate to be taking cheap shots in other club's game day threads.

You replied to a post where I pointed out you were not great against North OR GC with:

It was GC I'd mentioned at the bottom of the post you were replying to , so without you actually specifying I assumed you were talking about GC.

No. I only mentioned injuries because you raised our injuries and seemed to dismiss them, despite us having the same length injury list during the week as you did. I certainly didn't use them as an excuse, what I actually did say was:

But I guess with your limited reading comprehension you thought that was an excuse. I was simply pointing out that your assessment that we were only "really" missing Mitchell, Impey and Scrimshaw was inaccurate.

And I pointed out you were underselling our injury situation. You mentioned our best 22 players that were injured, but depth isn't just about your best 22, it is about who you have in reserve to bring in when members of your best 22 are out, and from that point of view, we both had 10 on the injury list prior to the weekend, but you didn't want to listen to that because it didn't suit your cheap shot.

I don't actually think we were that s**t this week, and we've been reasonably competitive for a number of weeks now. North and their new coach deserve credit for a good win. I'd certainly not have been mentioning our injuries if you hadn't raised the topic in such a disingenuous manner. Which isn't to say I don't like making excuses. I certainly made some last week, because we had the better of it for large stretches, and could have easily won given the amount of set shots we had. This week, we were good in short patches only. Unfortunately for us, North were just better for longer, and they deserved the win. They've probably been unlucky not to have a few more wins on the board. I agree with you that Essendon were s**t last week and this week. If my team was putting out performances like that, I'd probably hesitate to be taking cheap shots in other club's game day threads.

So you read the first part of what I wrote (The injuries pre game) and then stopped reading the very next line (Hurley injured in the game)

For someone who vomits all over the page when he writes you don't do the common courtesy of reading the full text of somebody else. You are probably known by those who know you as the guy who cuts off other peoples conversations to tell a story nobody cares about.

The fact I mentioned Hurley being injured mid game should have been a big enough clue I was talking about the North Game.

As for injuries, you can't actually believe the size of the injury list is the determining factor on who has worse injuries problems. To prove that here is a simple scenario for you.

Imagine these injury lists.

Hawthorn: Mitchell, McEvoy, Sicily, Impey, O'Meara and Gunston

Essendon: Myers, Baguley, Z. Clarke, Langford, Begley, Laverde and Draper

By your own thinking above the Essendon list is a worse injury list because we have one extra. Would you agree?

Why can't I discuss other teams fortunes? I would have made that comment if Essendon had won or lost. I don't need to retreat into a cave when my team loses. Last week I was blasting Adelaide for their crap play and last night I was giving it to Geelong for being soft as dog s**t. I am not Essendon, I just follow them.

So you read the first part of what I wrote (The injuries pre game) and then stopped reading the very next line (Hurley injured in the game)

No, I don't track every Essendon game, so that doesn't help me know exactly which game you were talking about. You never actually specified.

The fact I mentioned Hurley being injured mid game should have been a big enough clue I was talking about the North Game.

If you're a Bombers fan yes. Typical bombers fan thinks the AFL rotates around them. I'm not fully aware of every game an Essendon has-been gets injured in.

As for injuries, you can't actually believe the size of the injury list is the determining factor on who has worse injuries problems. To prove that here is a simple scenario for you.

Imagine these injury lists.

Hawthorn: Mitchell, McEvoy, Sicily, Impey, O'Meara and Gunston

Essendon: Myers, Baguley, Z. Clarke, Langford, Begley, Laverde and Draper

By your own thinking above the Essendon list is a worse injury list because we have one extra. Would you agree?

Of course not, and that isn't the situation so WTF does this hypothetical have to do with anything? Our injury lists were the same length, and given I agree we DO actually have less depth than Essendon, injuries hurt us more than you. In any case you massively overrated the quality of your injured players. You were s**t at the start of the year when they were mostly all available.

Why can't I discuss other teams fortunes?

We all know your posting history well enough to know you didn't come here for any meaningful discussion of the game, but instead for a cheap troll. Look at your post and tell me it wasn't a blatant troll attempt.

In any case this is now massively off topic.

Last edited:
Back