Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne-vs-Essendon.png
Where and when: MCG, Friday April 5, 7.50pm AEDT

Melbourne Forecast
1.PNG
Mostly sunny. Winds north to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h tending northerly 30 to 45 km/h during the morning.

Last time they met: Marvel Stadium, round six, 2018: Essendon 10.12 (72) lost to Melbourne 16.12 (108)
Bayley Fritsch, Charlie Spargo and Mitch Hannan combined for eight goals as Max Gawn ran riot in the ruck. Both sides were coming off short breaks after Anzac Day and Anzac Eve fixtures, but Melbourne got the upper hand early with seven goals to one in the opening term.

What it means for Melbourne: At 0-2, Melbourne's slow start to the season is worrying. The Demons need to find form and quickly before the season slips away from their grasp.

What it means for Essendon: After a calamitous beginning to the season, the Bombers' confidence has been severely dented. The pressure is well and truly on coach John Worsfold and his team to deliver. There are no more excuses.

How Melbourne wins: Convert 72 inside 50s into more than six goals. Efficiency going inside 50 will be a key focus area for Melbourne on the training track this week after the drubbing in Geelong.

How Essendon wins: Match Melbourne for contested possessions and limit their effectiveness going inside 50 from a defensive point of view. Their small forwards also need to lift their own rate and start trapping the ball inside 50.

The stat: Melbourne has started the season with a win-loss record of 0-2 36 times in club history. The Demons have only made the finals once (2006) from that position.

The match-up: Max Gawn v Tom Bellchambers
Gawn is ranked at No.7 in the Schick AFL Player Ratings based on his form across the past two seasons, although his latest form is nowhere near comparable to that. Bellchambers, the 10th-ranked ruckman in the AFL, has also struggled in Essendon's first two games.

It's a big week for: John Worsfold
The Bombers coach is under a great deal of pressure after his side's horrendous start to the 2019 season. Getting a win on the board is vital, but rediscovering the brand of football they played at the back-end of last season is the starting point.

The heat will be on John Worsfold if the Bombers can't deliver. Picture: AFL Photos
John%20Worsfold%20speaks%20to%20team.JPG

Big call: Three goals apiece to Tom McDonald and Sam Weideman to lead the Demons to their first victory of the season.

Prediction: Melbourne by 17 points

Source: AFL Website

It is the first time since 2007 that the two bottom sides on the ladder will play on a Friday night. Big game for both clubs, I don't care if it's ugly just hoping we can get the win, which I think we will.

No idea who wins

I guess it comes down to which Dees and Dons sides turn up. Both have good squads and proven ability, it just hasn't been seen in 2019.

Mind you, for the melts about Friday night footy, it could be entertaining if it got ugly.

#carltonfansunite

A team of outside runners with no skills vs a team comprised almost solely of inside midfielders with no skills.

Think we’re less s**t, but we can’t cover the MCG with our lack of pace/fitness, so Essendon could very well get up.

A month ago I had this game circled as one of the highlights of the season.

Today, I’m hoping to drink enough before and during the game to forget I was even in attendance for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These two were predicted to be fighting for top 4. Most are tipping the Dees off the back of an 80 point touch up. Most tipped bombers last week after their GWS touch up. Loser out of premiership conversation. Any issue with Petracca at Melbourne? Oliver gave him a burst last week after he butchered a kick. Melbourne’s best players are mainly quite young, so not sure it’s working cohesively.

Fantastic that we have yet another finals like game so early in the season, and it's for teams that are both 0-2. Great to see these proud clubs clash at the G, particularly on a Friday night during prime time. They met about a year ago when both clubs were under siege with 2-3 records, the Dees winning easily. Many are forecasting a similar scenario tonight as well as these two blokes to have a big say in proceedings

gawny gone.jpg

Could be a ripper.
Dons will start brightly.
Dees need to enter 50 with a bit more nouse than last week and they are in business.

Might be time for Tom Mcdonald to prove he can be the number 1 forward. Jesse Hogan is clearly a bigger loss than Melbourne thought.

Could be a ripper or an absolute snoozefest.

Surely the tanking headlines over the last 24 hours will give the current gen Demons ammunition to win tonight.
Considering there was a total of two currently listed players there when it happened, I wouldn’t have thought it would make much difference.

Back