• Collingwood > 30 pts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane-vs-Coll.png
Where and when: The Gabba, Thursday, April 18, 7.35pm (AEST).

Brisbane Forecast
1.PNG
Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers, most likely in the late morning and afternoon. Light winds becoming south to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning.

Last time they met: Docklands Stadium, round 21, 2018: Collingwood 14.20 (104) defeated Brisbane 11.7 (73).
The injury-depleted Magpies weathered a first-quarter barrage from the Lions to eventually run out comfortable winners. Brisbane led by 13 points at quarter-time and maintained its lead until just before the main break when Collingwood took charge. Jordan de Goey kicked four goals and Taylor Adams collected 33 disposals.

What it means for Brisbane: With a sellout crowd expected, this will be the biggest attendance at the Gabba since Brendan Fevola's 2010 season. Channel Seven has taken the unusual step to broadcast the game live into Brisbane on its main channel, as well. So, on a national stage, the Lions need to show Saturday's below-par performance against Essendon was just a hiccup.

What it means for Collingwood: No strangers to big matches, the Magpies have been scratchy in their opening month and will be keen to find top gear against their much-improved opponents. A win would solidify a spot in the top eight.

FROM THE TWOS Gibbs among big names to fire

How Brisbane wins: It simply must win the midfield battle. Not only must it win more of the contested ball, the Lions' pressure must be relentless to help a backline that can be exposed for speed when quick ball comes in.

How Collingwood wins: The Magpies have a forward line that could terrorise Brisbane if they get enough opportunities. Essendon showed quicker ball movement could hurt the Lions, and Collingwood might like to take a page from that book.

The stat: Brisbane has not defeated Collingwood at the Gabba since 2010. In fact, the Magpies have won eight of the past nine matches between the clubs.

The match-up: Darcy Gardiner v Jordan de Goey
The young Collingwood star, rated 72 overall in the Schick Official AFL Player Ratings, kicked nine goals in two matches against the Lions last year and is a handful for any opponent. Gardiner (ranked 246th overall) has the size and strength to match de Goey if the incoming ball is on even terms.

Dayne Beams will be back in the black and white if he's fit this week. Picture: AFL Photos
beamspie.jpg

It's a big week for: Dayne Beams
After missing last week through illness, it now appears as if Beams will run out against the club he formerly captained on Thursday night. Beams had nothing but goodwill towards Brisbane when he departed and will ride a rollercoaster of emotions when he takes the field.

Big call: Charlie Cameron to take Mark of the Round.

Prediction: Magpies by 10 points

Source: AFL Website

Is that your prediction Gralin? because that looks like you've pasted straight from the alf site.

Probably get shot for this, but if we don't "click" tonight an angry Brisbane will do a number on us.
Screenshot_20190418-091638.png
The answer is right above your post

Last year it was a fun shoot out. This year if previous weeks mean anything it will be attack (kaos?) versus control. Can Ludwig Von Siegfried do a number on Hymie? I think he can, but he may add a couple of scars.

Really looking forward to this game.

Although they don't travel often the Pies do generally travel well, and if it's anything like Sydney they will have significant support.
They haven't really looked like premiership contenders so far though.

It's a big test for the Lions as to whether they can handle the oressure if a big game and now expectation. Delighted for their supporters they can go into this with some confidence, enjoy and hopefully you won't be let down.

Hoping for a Lions win, I like the idea of interstate sides dominating the pointy end of the ladder.

This will be a cracker!

Collingwood have more gears to their game, as we saw when they played Richmond in Round 2, totally disarmed them and I expect they'll do the same to rampaging Lions as they will not want to get into a shoot out.

I don't expect much in the final result, but feel like Collingwood's class will be enough to get them over the line but not without afew lead changes throughout the night.

Collingwood by 13
De Goey to kick 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect that the Lions players are going to feel a lot of pressure given they are in front of a sold out home crowd. They might not do as well as hoped as young teams usually struggle in bigger games where there are higher expectations on them.

I suspect that the Lions players are going to feel a lot of pressure given they are in front of a sold out home crowd. They might not do as well as hoped as young teams usually struggle in bigger games where there are higher expectations on them.

Yeah, that's a common theme across our board atm RUN.

Still - my position is you've gotta learn to do it sometime.

Bring it on :D

Yeah, that's a common theme across our board atm RUN.

Still - my position is you've gotta learn to do it sometime.

Bring it on :D

Agreed. I mean I have no doubt the Brisbane players will all be better for the experience, I just think the big occasion is going to make a lot of the younger players feel more nervous and as a result they won't play as well. Still, the faster they learn to control these nerves the better so games like this can only help Brisbane irrespective of the actual result.

I've been to several of these games. Usually the Pies fans outnumber the Lions fans. So I doubt they will have any advantage there. Conditions and ground size absolutely.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a tad more even this year given we've actually won a game within the first 8 weeks and the Broncos are s**t.

This will be a cracking game!

On paper Collingwood should be all over the Lions, but we saw in Round 1 what happens when a team tries to play precision kick football on a dewy Gabba surface. If the Lions can keep their defensive zones tight then they're every chance at rolling the Pies.

Back