Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Carlton > 30 pts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With a list spot still open, getting the best state league small forward going should be a priority in the mid season draft. Even a poor man’s Liam Ryan could do wonders for the Blues’ second half the season.

Getting Cunningham back might help too. He was looking good before the bruised kidney.

I wish Carlton would use Zac Fisher as a permanent small forward as he has the capacity to be very similar to Wingard.

When Matthew Kennedy and Will Setterfield come back from injury it should help the Blues midfield depth and Fisher may not have to play in the midfield permanently.

Levi Casboult is a great footballer, practices his kicking has been knocked from pillar to post by the so called experts, his kicking wasn't the best its improved.
Best contested pack mark in the competition.

I would have him at Hawthorn any day of the week. But nah the Blues know his worth.

Bolton ? Leave him alone , he is building, any one who was talking about him being given the gong ,you know nothing.

He is a builder, and they are going to come through , it never takes 5 minutes , it can take years , but when it does no one can get you.

Now you Blue baggers you know how to win , its all there, well done great win!!!

Keep plugging.
EXCEPT WHEN YOU PLAY MY MOB!

I’m all for Hawthorn losing to Carlton next week if it means they beat Geelong tomorrow. :$

What happened to bont was tracking to be the best player in the game now looks a mile off it

Had an off day, but so did his team.

Was leading the coaches votes going into this round....not too shabby.

Is one heck of a player, when fit.

Knew all week we were gonna lose this one. No team would have wanted to be the one to face the Blues this week coming off the heat and criticism.

Bulldogs have pretty much shown they are the least skillful and least footy smart team in the league. All grunt, no class. Been four years of being one of the top few teams in terms of inside 50's per game, yet still bottom for in converting them to scoring chances/efficiency

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs' team is the youngest fielded by any side this year. Carlton's team is older than St.Kilda's and Richmond's, which both won.

It’s funny how a team can be regarded as “younger” when their opponent fields almost twice as many U22’s. Averages alone don’t provide enough information to make this type of statement. You need to account for variance. Without it, all can you claim with any certainty, is that the Bulldogs’ mean age was lower than Carlton’s mean age.

It’s funny how a team can be regarded as “younger” when their opponent fields almost twice as many U22’s. Averages alone don’t provide enough information to make this type of statement. You need to account for variance. Without it, all can you claim with any certainty, is that the Bulldogs’ mean age was lower than Carlton’s mean age.

You can draw an arbitrary line anywhere, e.g. the Dogs had 13 players 23yo and under to Carlton's 11.

Averages are simple and they work. I don't want to have the debate again.

Averages work for telling you what the average of something is. If you want to extract more from the data, you need to account for variance, or graph it and see where the distribution lies in relation to the mean. No need to debate this anymore than debating that water is wet.

So I have no issue with you saying the Bulldogs mean age was lower than Carlton mean age, because that’s a valid conclusion. But the whole “younger” team claim is not. A lot more work needs to go into supporting that claim.

Averages work for telling you what the average of something is. If you want to extract more from the data, you need to account for variance, or graph it and see where the distribution lies in relation to the mean. No need to debate this anymore than debating that water is wet.

So I have no issue with you saying the Bulldogs mean age was lower than Carlton mean age, because that’s a valid conclusion. But the whole “younger” team claim is not. A lot more work needs to go into supporting that claim.

Variance provides extra information, that's all. If you want to show how it's relevant to match results, I'd be interested to see it.

Look, here are the results for all older teams. A nice straight line:

Age bracket

Played

Won

Lost

Drawn

Win %

< +0.5

+0.5 to +1

+1 to +1.5

+1.5 to +2

+2 to +2.5

+2.5 to +3

> +3

And the results for older teams with a lower variance than the opposition:

Age bracket

Played

Won

Lost

Drawn

Win %

< +0.5

+0.5 to +1

+1 to +1.5

+1.5 to +2

+2 to +2.5

+2.5 to +3

> +3

I can't make any sense of the latter.

Your opinion vs reality.

I know what i'd choose.
Taking all 22 ages into account v taking two ages into account. I've chosen.

Last edited:
You can draw an arbitrary line anywhere, e.g. the Dogs had 13 players 23yo and under to Carlton's 11.

That's because it's a flawed debate. It places too high a value on players who are past their best such as Simpson, Murphy, Thomas, Kreuzer and Ed Curnow ... a value higher than 100+ game players in their footballing prime.

Back