• Draw

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon-vs-Coll.png

Kayo_logo_Stream_More_vertical_black_text-100h.png
Stream it LIVE on any device.
(BigFooty gets a bung when you join through this link)

2.PNG

Where and when: MCG, Thursday April 25, 3.20pm AEST

Melbourne Forecast
1.PNG
Partly cloudy. Possible morning fog patches. Slight (20%) chance of a shower in the southeast suburbs, most likely later in the morning. Light winds becoming west to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning.

Last time they met: MCG, round 16, 2018: Essendon 9.8 (62) defeated by Collingwood 12.12 (78)
In a low-scoring contest, Essendon led the Pies by one point at three-quarter time before being overrun in the final quarter. It was Jordan De Goey who turned the game the Pies' way with three goals in the second half.

What it means for Essendon: It would be a huge fillip for the Bombers if they could overcome the Pies in the biggest home and away game of the season. After a sluggish start to the year, Essendon is on a roll, winning three games in a row and has averaged 18 goals in that patch.

What it means for Collingwood: The Pies cut through Brisbane last week, blitzing the Lions by 62 points at the Gabba. They looked at their best: quick, slick and dangerous up front, and would see this as a chance to beat a team that is gathering some hype.

How Essendon wins: John Worsfold's side is an attacking force when playing on instinct, so must continue to go for it. An ability to win the centre clearances, led by an in-form Dylan Shiel who was super in that area against North last week, will also be crucial.

How Collingwood wins: The Magpies' midfielders have dominated against Essendon in recent years, with onballers Adam Treloar, Steele Sidebottom, (now Crow) Paul Seedsman, Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury all winning the Anzac Medal since 2011. If the Pies take advantage of Brodie Grundy's likely strength in the ruck, they will be hard to stop.

The stat: Collingwood holds the edge over the Bombers in recent clashes, winning four of the past five Anzac Day meetings.

The match-up: Mason Cox v Michael Hurley/Cale Hooker
The AFL Player Ratings rank Pies target Mason Cox as the 18th-best key forward in the game (and overall No.174 in the AFL), but he continues to be dangerous in the air. Will it be Michael Hurley (ranked 173) or Cale Hooker (ranked 140) as the Bomber tasked to stop him?

It’s a big week for: Joe Daniher
The Bombers' spearhead came into the side late last week and kicked two goals against the Roos. How will he back up after his first game in a year and on a short break? He has shown he likes this stage before, having won the Anzac Medal in 2017.
Joe%20Daniher%20made%20an%20immediate%20impact%20as%20a%20late%20inclusion.JPG

Big call: Brodie Grundy to be best afield with more than 40 hitouts and two goals.

Prediction: Collingwood by 12 points

Source: AFL Website

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this game (always do). I think the pies will smack the Dons. Pies by 45. Too much skill and pace, and dare i say it, a little harder at the contest.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think these two are pretty even on results this year. I'll tip the Bombers because they have improved steadily. I think the Pies results are on a consistent level, just the quality of the opposition determining the result.

No doubt in my mind the Pies and Tigers were overhyped going into the season, which isn't to say they won't play finals, or have quite zero chance of winning the flag. It may not even be related to the clubs, I get journalists get interest from talking them up. It is annoying though.

Oh and I really have no issue with the staging of this game. Or the permanent participants. Can we get rid of the absurd medals though, please?

beerbandit

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think these two are pretty even on results this year. I'll tip the Bombers because they have improved steadily. I think the Pies results are on a consistent level, just the quality of the opposition determining the result.

No doubt in my mind the Pies and Tigers were overhyped going into the season, which isn't to say they won't play finals, or have quite zero chance of winning the flag. It may not even be related to the clubs, I get journalists get interest from talking them up. It is annoying though.

Oh and I really have no issue with the staging of this game. Or the permanent participants. Can we get rid of the absurd medals though, please?
Pies haven’t been on a consistent performance
Poor v Geelong
Good v Richmond
Ok v West Coast
Poor v Bulldogs
Good v Brisbane

Very inconsistent

What, a team which won the flag in 2017, finished top of the ladder in 2018 and has won more games than any other team in the last two years is over hyped? Come on buddy, you're a better poster than that.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Pies haven’t been on a consistent performance
Poor v Geelong
Good v Richmond
Ok v West Coast
Poor v Bulldogs
Good v Brisbane

Very inconsistent
It's subjective. I think the Bulldogs played out of their skins against you, and the Cats were simply dominant. There's no objective measure though, and I cant say you're wrong.

beerbandit

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's subjective. I think the Bulldogs played out of their skins against you, and the Cats were simply dominant. There's no objective measure though, and I cant say you're wrong.
Cats weren’t dominant , Pies should of been 5-6 goals up at halftime if not for bad kicking , bad kicking = bad football , so hence they were poor.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
What, a team which won the flag in 2017, finished top of the ladder in 2018 and has won more games than any other team in the last two years is over hyped? Come on buddy, you're a better poster than that.
To me the point you miss is we're discussing 2019. Each season sees changes and there's subjective judgement in assessing and forming opinions about the likely change. Historical results are a part of it, but only a part. I stand by mine.

To me the point you miss is we're discussing 2019. Each season sees changes and there's subjective judgement in assessing and forming opinions about the likely change. Historical results are a part of it, but only a part. I stand by mine.

I don't think it's unreasonable to rate a team for the reasons i stated. And look at our performance turn around this season. We are still a damn fine, strong club and we are in it up to our nuts. But, hey, i guess i'm just a fan boy sucked in by the hype......

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I don't think it's unreasonable to rate a team for the reasons i stated. And look at our performance turn around this season. We are still a damn fine, strong club and we are in it up to our nuts. But, hey, i guess i'm just a fan boy sucked in by the hype......
You have a different view, not seeing the big deal frankly. It will all be revealed as the season unfolds.

You have a different view, not seeing the big deal frankly. It will all be revealed as the season unfolds.

The big deal is the reasons i stated. Then add in the cliche of we can't win interstate.... then, let's see how they go without Rance or Dusty (well, we won without all four of the big four, and are winning without 3 of them). Then, they say we traded away our depth or have no depth, but in the last two years our reserves have made the VFL granny and prelim last year. Guess where they are this current season. Our next four games are dogs, freo, hawks and bombers. We should win minimum 3 out of the 4 there. That will take us to 8-3. What am i missing?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The big deal is the reasons i stated. Then add in the cliche of we can't win interstate.... then, let's see how they go without Rance or Dusty (well, we won without all four of the big four, and are winning without 3 of them). Then, they say we traded away our depth or have no depth, but in the last two years our reserves have made the VFL granny and prelim last year. Guess where they are this current season. Our next four games are dogs, freo, hawks and bombers. We should win minimum 3 out of the 4 there. That will take us to 8-3. What am i missing?
Frankly I haven't seen a performance that tells me the Tigers look like a top 4 side this season.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Have to go with Dons by +30 given I really think Pies will win by the same margin and what I think rarely happens, espesh in 2019.

Can pies shut down the dons run through the abdomen? Can Dons resist the pressure and execute their skills?
Can the commentatoes collectively quieten themselves and let the young gun recently retired experts enlighten us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Frankly I haven't seen a performance that tells me the Tigers look like a top 4 side this season.
I agree. There is so much media and supporter onanism manifesting about how goos rfc have been last 3 weeks. Noone comments on the appalling skills and provincial i50 entries. Happy to be 4-2 playing such crap.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why the heck are you crapping on about Richmond in the Essendon v Collingwood Game Day thread?

Why the heck are you crapping on about Richmond in the Essendon v Collingwood Game Day thread?

Read the thread then you’ll understand. I was responding to criticism. Or can’t i do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I agree. There is so much media and supporter onanism manifesting about how goos rfc have been last 3 weeks. Noone comments on the appalling skills and provincial i50 entries. Happy to be 4-2 playing such crap.
I dont get why people are quite so sensitive. It's not like I can influence the outcome. I get offended if people trash my club but I didn't think I did that. I wouldn't be quite so harsh either I think the relentless pressure is still there that challenges oppositions, I just have a view there's a few clubs that can overcome it. The Cats and Eagles are the front runners in my view.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Aren't we due to lose the next two ANZAC Day clashes before breaking the drought again in 2021?

We've only won 2005, 2009, 2013 & 2017 in recent years. Expecting the trend to continue.

I think our best is good enough to beat Collingwood but you just can't trust us. Collingwood can be relied upon to rock up today and perform to expectations. I feel they often rise to the occasion that is ANZAC Day significantly more than our club... plus we have been garbage in many of those years.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Sounding like Orazio Fantasia will be a late out for us. To be confirmed in about half an hour.

3 games in a row now he will miss against the Pies. Kicked 9 goals in two games against them in 2017 so not ideal. Potentially Darcy Parish to get a reprieve?

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Essendon have been given free reign over the last 3 games. Collingwood are much better than the three teams Essendon have beaten and will make them play way more accountable footy. Shiel and Merrett can’t handle close attention.

Degoey to expose Hurley’s lack of pace.

Collingwood midfield to dominate.

Collingwood by plenty.

Back