Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Collingwood > 30 pts

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What was everyone's thoughts on Cox blocking Essendon defenders in the goal square which gave the pies a shot at goal? He wasnt even facing the play and was stopping people's run with his 7 foot wing span.

He's not that smart and defenders will wise up to it if he keeps trying it.
Take a few steps back and run into him whilst looking at the ball, blocking free kick every day of the week.

What was everyone's thoughts on Cox blocking Essendon defenders in the goal square which gave the pies a shot at goal? He wasnt even facing the play and was stopping people's run with his 7 foot wing span.

He was just standing there and made the defender run around and create separation. That was just good forward craft. He didnt hold anyone, push anyone, grab anyone. Youre stretching. Perhaps get Joe to watch he might lean something from it.

He was just standing there and made the defender run around and create separation. That was just good forward craft. He didnt hold anyone, push anyone, grab anyone. Youre stretching. Perhaps get Joe to watch he might lean something from it.
say what? He was facing the wrong way and corralling defenders with his arms. Has to be a free.

Mate you guys were raped yesterday , I hate your club but, I hate cheating and that is exactly what happened yesterday , you guys were cheated out of a win.

What happened to Australia’s fair play, AFL has an agenda

How were they cheated out of a win??
They were never in front the entire game. They had ample time in the final 10 minutes to score but they didn’t.

The holding the ball decision was definitely there but it was in pies forward 50. So what
Essendon weren’t hard enough or gritty enough when it truly counted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An opportunity to dispose of the ball is the relevant thing. This opportunity can be prior to the tackle or once tackled. If the tackle locks the ball in and the players cannot dispose of the ball once tackled they can be penalised if they had a chance to dispose of the ball prior to the tackle. OR their opportunity to dispose of the ball can be after they are tackled if the player has an option eg: hand or hands free.

You're making out like I'm the only person who thinks it was incorrect disposal.
This isn’t part of the rule

You continue to make things up.

If you are tackled without prior opportunity, you don’t need to correctly dispose of the ball, all you have to do is make an attempt.

Stephenson could only be pinged for holding the ball once tackled.

say what? He was facing the wrong way and corralling defenders with his arms. Has to be a free.
See now youre making s**t up, no he wasnt, watch it again. Youre talking about the mark to Hoskin-Elliott in third right? I'll explain it to you because youre obviously very emotional right now. Cox was running to the goal square but was being blocked/ held up (not a free mind you) by Hooker. Cox still trying to move forward still being held (it is not a free, im not saying it was - good defensive positioning by CH) but then he moves sideways as WHE sees the opportunity to use Cox and create seperation from his defender for the lead. I'll say it again, good forward craft and that is all, no holding, no coralling. Watch it, and not just the end bit with the replay, watch the leadup.
If you going to nit pick each umpire decision youre in for a long day. Go to work, take youre mind off it, read a book or something, walk the dog and relax. Maybe I should bring up the Baguley decision in the last quarter, free kick there? yah right. It was garbage both ways.

See now youre making s**t up, no he wasnt, watch it again. Youre talking about the mark to Hoskin-Elliott in third right? I'll explain it to you because youre obviously very emotional right now. Cox was running to the goal square but was being blocked/ held up (not a free mind you) by Hooker. Cox still trying to move forward still being held (it is not a free, im not saying it was - good defensive positioning by CH) but then he moves sideways as WHE sees the opportunity to use Cox and create seperation from his defender for the lead. I'll say it again, good forward craft and that is all, no holding, no coralling. Watch it, and not just the end bit with the replay, watch the leadup.
If you going to nit pick each umpire decision youre in for a long day. Go to work, take youre mind off it, read a book or something, walk the dog and relax. Maybe I should bring up the Baguley decision in the last quarter, free kick there? yah right. It was garbage both ways.
if you're not even watching the play, not even facing the correct way, and impeding defenders getting to a contest, that's a block.

Anyway, if even that howler wasnt a free in pie fan's eyes there's no point discussing the umpiring here

if you're not even watching the play, not even facing the correct way, and impeding defenders getting to a contest, that's a block.

Anyway, if even that howler wasnt a free in pie fan's eyes there's no point discussing the umpiring here

The reason there’s no point discussing it is because you don’t have a good understanding of the rules. Nor do most supporters to be fair to you.

And again that’s on the AFL. The rules are very ‘grey area’ and people think it’s about the way it looks.

Stephenson’s incident is NOT a free as had been pointed out to you here. But some commentators and lots of supporters would claim it was despite being wrong.

I guarantee you if I sat down with you or any Bombers/Tigers fans claiming Essendon was robbed and re-watched the game we would both agree at the end of it that bad umpiring went both ways.

That’s not to say one sided umpiring that impacts the final result never happens. Hawks-Dogs game earlier this year comes to mind.

gotta love your enthusiasm. 51 posts in this thread and counting.

it's not adjudicated that way.
LeL.

It IS adjudicated that way, hence the correct call of PLAY ON. The problem is nuffies like BT who don’t understand the rules, and it appears you must listen to Brian as you are also wrong.

You have made up some dribble about ‘opportunity to dispose during the tackle’ which ain’t part of the rule.

It is only about what happens prior to the tackle starting.

If a player has had prior opportunity before being correctly tackled, they must correctly dispose of the ball....Stephenson didn’t have any prior opportunity as he was tackled immediately.

If no prior opportunity before being tackled, you don’t have to correctly dispose of the ball. Which is redundant anyway, as Stephenson did actually kick it anyway.

There was absolutely no way Stephenson was going to be penalised for ‘incorrect disposal’ in that instance, it is either ‘holding the ball’ or play on. It wasn’t holding the ball, so was correctly called play on.

The reason there’s no point discussing it is because you don’t have a good understanding of the rules. Nor do most supporters to be fair to you.

And again that’s on the AFL. The rules are very ‘grey area’ and people think it’s about the way it looks.

Stephenson’s incident is NOT a free as had been pointed out to you here. But commentators and lots of supporters would claim it was despite being wrong.

I guarantee you if I sat down with you or any Bombers/Tigers fans claiming Essendon was robbed and re-watched the game we would both agree at the end of it that bad umpiring went both ways.

That’s not to say one sided umpiring that impacts the final result never happens. Hawks-Dogs game earlier this year comes to mind.
whether Stephenson's incident was a free based on the letter of the law is not the full story. Similar incidents are regularly paid as a free which makes the inconsistencies infuriating. Pendles getting a high free kick for driving his head forward into other players, then ATW missing multiple high frees for clear high contact is where the frustration comes in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Guelfi free kick for in the back against Grundy resulted in a goal.

- Baguely free kick for Langdon holding his arm while he had a fist full of Langdon's jumper resulted in a goal.

Both of these were incorrect and had a large impact on the game.

On the flip side.

- Hoskin-Elliott was holding the ball.

- Crisp probably should have been holding the ball but he did get a handball, seen that paid plenty of times.

- Initially Stephenson looked like holding the ball just prior to the Callum Brown in the back, but replay showed he got his foot to the ball, great tackle holding the arm though.

- Cox's free kick in front of goal which he missed wasn't a free.

- Pendlebury free kick an interesting one, he had to lower his head to pick up the ball, he then ducked further to protect himself, if he lifts his head he probably gets hit flush in the face and the result would have been a free kick anyway.

There were some other 50/50 decisions.

The fact players all stopped twice when they thought a free tells you all you need to know. Some very confusing moments.

In the end, i thought Essendon were better for a larger portion of the game, happy to escape with the 4 points, finals like pressure from both sides was great to watch.

whether Stephenson's incident was a free based on the letter of the law is not the full story. Similar incidents are regularly paid as a free which makes the inconsistencies infuriating. Pendles getting a high free kick for driving his head forward into other players, then ATW missing multiple high frees for clear high contact is where the frustration comes in.

Yes you’re right.

Pendles you can argue he drove his head in. Or you can argue he just picked up the ball and got tackled high in the process.

Tippa was stiff in one incident. The rest you can argue he ones to ground dropping the knee and raising the arm to avoid the tackle therefore in the new interpretations that is play on.

But overall it’s ridiculous that Bombers/opposition think Essendon were robbed. It’s not what happened.

But at least it will shed a light on the issues with the rule book in mainstream media.

LeL.

It IS adjudicated that way, hence the correct call of PLAY ON. The problem is nuffies like BT who don’t understand the rules, and it appears you must listen to Brian as you are also wrong.

You have made up some dribble about ‘opportunity to dispose during the tackle’ which ain’t part of the rule.

It is only about what happens prior to the tackle starting.

If a player has had prior opportunity before being correctly tackled, they must correctly dispose of the ball....Stephenson didn’t have any prior opportunity as he was tackled immediately.

If no prior opportunity before being tackled, you don’t have to correctly dispose of the ball. Which is redundant anyway, as Stephenson did actually kick it anyway.

There was absolutely no way Stephenson was going to be penalised for ‘incorrect disposal’ in that instance, it is either ‘holding the ball’ or play on. It wasn’t holding the ball, so was correctly called play on.
http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36381723
has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose 46 Laws of Australian Football 2018 of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so; or

As per the rule a player who is tackled without prior opportunity must make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball. If the ball is held to them they need to show they are making an attempt. If they have a hand or hands free realistically there is no reason they cant get a handball or kick away. Usually they choose not to because they dont want to release the ball to the opposition. That's incorrect disposal. Yes Stephenson may have got a toe on the ball, but this was after he took 2 to 3 steps and was laying on the ground. He had time

LOL

Whether it was a free according to the rules IS the point!

Nuffies like BT, who clearly have no real understanding of the rules, want umpires to umpire outside of rules! It is laughable.

Similar incidents are called play on all the time, a player immediately tackled (no prior opportunity) ball spills free umpire calls play on...and fans sook about ‘incorrect disposal’

Yes you’re right.

Pendles you can argue he drove his head in. Or you can argue he just picked up the ball and got tackled high in the process.

Tippa was stiff in one incident. The rest you can argue he ones to ground dropping the knee and raising the arm to avoid the tackle therefore in the new interpretations that is play on.

But overall it’s ridiculous that Bombers/opposition think Essendon were robbed. It’s not what happened.

But at least it will shed a light on the issues with the rule book in mainstream media.
I'm not saying we were robbed at all. We had our chances and should blame our own inefficiencies, like Shiel. But there were reasons the crowd was angry, many pie fans were making out like it wasnt for good reason, which is wrong.

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36381723
has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose 46 Laws of Australian Football 2018 of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so; or

As per the rule a player who is tackled without prior opportunity must make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball. If the ball is held to them they need to show they are making an attempt. If they have a hand or hands free realistically there is no reason they cant get a handball or kick away. Usually they choose not to because they dont want to release the ball to the opposition. That's incorrect disposal. Yes Stephenson may have got a toe on the ball, but this was after he took 2 to 3 steps and was laying on the ground. He had time
Bahahahahahaha

A shiny gold medallion to anyone who convinces a collingwood supporter we got a raw deal by the umps yday.

Not sure why your bothering. It won't change the result any more it will change their mind.
There are days you have to play the opposition and the roll of the dice with the interpretations. Just didn't happen. We had plenty of opps and kicked points, or turned it over.
Much like the pies had plenty of opps to put us away but missed set shots.

Take the positive. Within a kick of one of the top 3 clubs in the comp.
The last month has levelled the ledger from the start of the season. Onto Geelong, Sydney & Freo. Good chance for 12pts. 20 into the break if we can account for Richmond and Carlton.

Yes you’re right.

He more tilts into them than dropping his knee. He's generally still moving into those tackles and trying to evade.
Whether they are deeming that a duck, i dont know, but its surely prior if so. And they're ignoring that too

I put the Tippa ones in the age old bucket of umps shying away from paying a free in the fwd 50.
Though the Bags one was soft (whilst there, soft). And Cox's one when Hooker outbodied him was truly bizarre.

The Guelf in the back is text book in the current interpretations, though i dont agree with it. Landing in someones back during a tackle is not a push. And its not why the rule is there. Dont drive their head into the ground (i.e. dangerous tackle) and it should be play on.

All in all, not a great day for the men in yellow/green.
Frustrating for us. Less so for the winners.

We robbed ourselves as much as they robbed us.

A shiny gold medallion to anyone who convinces a collingwood supporter we got a raw deal by the umps yday.

Not sure why your bothering. It won't change the result any more it will change their mind.
There are days you have to play the opposition and the roll of the dice with the interpretations. Just didn't happen. We had plenty of opps and kicked points, or turned it over.
Much like the pies had plenty of opps to put us away but missed set shots.

Take the positive. Within a kick of one of the top 3 clubs in the comp.
The last month has levelled the ledger from the start of the season. Onto Geelong, Sydney & Freo. Good chance for 12pts. 20 into the break if we can account for Richmond and Carlton.
The funny thing is that yes the umpires made some ‘poor’ calls like they do in every game.

The couple where play stopped in last quarter, sure they were frustrating, but neither had any impact on the game at all. Both were HFF for Pies, both were decisions where Essendon fans (and players) expected holding the ball decisions, both were called play on, and in both instances Essendon ended up getting the ball back straight away anyway.

Cox getting his soft free against Hooker...he then missed!

The howlers didn’t impact the result, Collingwood only bloody kicked 3 goals in the second half....none the result of dodgy umpiring calls.

Essendon lost because they didn’t show up until 5 min before half time, and then had players who continued to make mistakes and turn the ball over when they had chances to take the game on.

But as always, much easier for fans to vent their frustration at the umpires than be critical of a guy like Tippa for spoiling Joe and turning the ball over when in the clear

He more tilts into them than dropping his knee. He's generally still moving into those tackles and trying to evade.
Whether they are deeming that a duck, i dont know, but its surely prior if so. And they're ignoring that too

I put the Tippa ones in the age old bucket of umps shying away from paying a free in the fwd 50.
Though the Bags one was soft (whilst there, soft). And Cox's one when Hooker outbodied him was truly bizarre.

The Guelf in the back is text book in the current interpretations, though i dont agree with it. Landing in someones back during a tackle is not a push. And its not why the rule is there. Dont drive their head into the ground (i.e. dangerous tackle) and it should be play on.

All in all, not a great day for the men in yellow/green.
Frustrating for us. Less so for the winners.

We robbed ourselves as much as they robbed us.

Baguely had a fist full of Langdon's jumper at the same time.
The 2 cancel each other out.

I would have been able to put my hand between Grundy and Guelfi's bodies.. all Grundy's weight was on his own arm.

Tippa raised his arm to get the high contact, used to be a free but we can thank Joel Selwood for that rule being amended.

Will Hoskin-Elliott non holding the ball decision probably the worst of the day though.
Don't understand how that wasn't paid.

Back