Autopsy AFL 2020 First Preliminary Final - Port v Tigers Fri October 16th 7:50pm AEDT / 7:20pm AEST (AO) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Richmond by a goal or less

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 81 37.5%
  • Richmond by 7 - 20

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Richmond by a lot

Votes: 21 9.7%
  • Draw - Port in extra time

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Draw - Richmond in extra time

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

this one still fascinates me, I've watched it as much as the GF, the whole what-if of a game that could have gone either way, to then go on to salute comparatively comfortably in the GF.

I was convinced that Port had the game plan, player mix, and the circumstances to trouble us, and so it was, I had to turn off the TV at times on the night, it was unbearable for me.

might be a bit raw still but keen to hear Port fans opinions of this game, do you think you would have done the Cats in the GF? Do you see Port getting better in 2021, plateauing, or tailing off?

this one still fascinates me, I've watched it as much as the GF, the whole what-if of a game that could have gone either way, to then go on to salute comparatively comfortably in the GF.

I was convinced that Port had the game plan, player mix, and the circumstances to trouble us, and so it was, I had to turn off the TV at times on the night, it was unbearable for me.

might be a bit raw still but keen to hear Port fans opinions of this game, do you think you would have done the Cats in the GF? Do you see Port getting better in 2021, plateauing, or tailing off?
Not a port fan but it was definitely the lack of experience that cost port in the end. To my memory it felt as if they blew multiple opportunities late with poor decisions. Was that the game they kept kicking it to Nank? I think they probably would have had the same problem against Geelong the next week had they got through.

Not a port fan but it was definitely the lack of experience that cost port in the end. To my memory it felt as if they blew multiple opportunities late with poor decisions. Was that the game they kept kicking it to Nank? I think they probably would have had the same problem against Geelong the next week had they got through.
Fair assessment.

They targeted Dixon multiple times in the last 10 minutes.

Balta and Astbury double teamed him under the ball and Nank claimed 3 to 4 uncontested marks from this. Honestly, Dixon wasn't good enough on these occasions to create a contest and bring the ball to ground.

Fair assessment.

They targeted Dixon multiple times in the last 10 minutes.

Balta and Astbury double teamed him under the ball and Nank claimed 3 to 4 uncontested marks from this. Honestly, Dixon wasn't good enough on these occasions to create a contest and bring the ball to ground.

To be fair, their backline was pretty crowded by that point, so whatever they did, it was always going to be a struggle for them to score.

More generally, yeah, this was the toughest, scariest final of the year for us, and while I think Richmond was the better team, I also agree that a little more finals experience for Port could have seen a very different result.

Yeah I was at that game and it really felt like they were defaulting to a failing game plan under pressure late but if I recall correctly a lot of that pressure seemed like it was coming from trying to patch over holes created by younger players who were just too gassed to play the full game out. They rely on youth a lot more and I think that brought them undone more than anything.

From a Cats perspective they clearly lack about 6 more 30yo+ players 🤣🤣

But seriously

Back