Autopsy AFL 2020 First Preliminary Final - Port v Tigers Fri October 16th 7:50pm AEDT / 7:20pm AEST (AO) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Richmond by a goal or less

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 81 37.5%
  • Richmond by 7 - 20

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Richmond by a lot

Votes: 21 9.7%
  • Draw - Port in extra time

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Draw - Richmond in extra time

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And you were gifted 10 games at your home and finished bottom 🤷‍♀️

Guess what we ended up with pick 1 and you end up with a participant award and a team that's about to fall off the cliff after next year, good luck and enjoy the fall with the amount of players that are on the wrong side of 30.

I think consistent umpiring may have been enough to beat the tigers tonight
What exactly was inconsistent about it? I thought the holding the ball interpretations were among the best all year and the deliberate OOB calls were about as consistent as it gets. This board is genuinely ridiculous these days…

Guess what we ended up with pick 1 and you end up with a participant award and a team that's about to fall off the cliff after next year, good luck and enjoy the fall with the amount of players that are on the wrong side of 30.

Are you going to use pick 1 to draft the next Chayce Jones? Setting yourself up for a dynasty I'm sure.

Nothing like what Richmond had? You played the first 5 games of the year in your home state - 4 at home, one down the road at Marvel. Again, I realise that seems small when you are usually gifted 15 of them at home plus all your finals.
Against fellow mcg clubs and a marvel club at marvel. We did not have 1 home advantage game all year, not 1. Look I know due to the fact you believe we only win flags cause we are based at the g you thought you were just going to walk into the grand final so you are upset, but maybe a little respect for one of the great teams of the modern era?

Are you going to use pick 1 to draft the next Chayce Jones? Setting yourself up for a dynasty I'm sure.

No I much prefer Borlase.

Lol Port traded all their picks for 3 players and the cliffs coming soon.

Nothing like what Richmond had? You played the first 5 games of the year in your home state - 4 at home, one down the road at Marvel. Again, I realise that seems small when you are usually gifted 15 of them at home plus all your finals.
H&A is over, you qualified to get a home final, that's all that matters, you blew it.

This loss will sting port fans. They’ll never get a better look at a flag given the advantages they’ve been afforded by COVID. There is potential for a drop off that is akin to what we saw with the Crows. Especially if their elder players rapidly decline.

Our age profile was a lot better, the camp caused our issues.

What exactly was inconsistent about if? I thought the holding the ball interpretations were among the best all year and the deliberate OOB calls were about as consistent as it gets. This board is genuinely ridiculous these days…

I suppose if I was a tigers supporter I would have said the same thing. The tigers were allowed to drop the ball a number of times in a tackle while port players were punished immediately. Apart from that, the umpiring was ok.

I would also like to point out that port were harshly dealt with by the umpires in the qualifying final against the cats too, but they still managed to win despite this. Perhaps the crowd has the opposite affect on the umpires for some strange reason.

I suppose if I was a tigers supporter I would have said the same thing. The tigers were allowed to drop the ball a number of times in a tackle while port players were punished immediately. Apart from that, the umpiring was ok.

I would also like to point out that port were harshly dealt with by the umpires in the qualifying final against the cats too, but they still managed to win despite this. Perhaps the crowd has the opposite affect on the umpires for some strange reason.
There was one Rioli got away with. The throw between the legs. How the ump thought that was in any way legal is boggling.
mostly thought the game was pretty well umpired and they bought into the finals atmosphere and didn’t over officiate.

Against fellow mcg clubs and a marvel club at marvel. We did not have 1 home advantage game all year, not 1. Look I know due to the fact you believe we only win flags cause we are based at the g you thought you were just going to walk into the grand final so you are upset, but maybe a little respect for one of the great teams of the modern era?
H&A is over, you qualified to get a home final, that's all that matters, you blew it.

This entire conversation started because I was replying to a Richmond supporter complaining that they would probably play Brisbane in the Grand final because Brisbane had been gifted unfair advantages this year. Which they have, but the big Victorian clubs especially get those sorts of advantages every year. If you're going to start arguing they only made the Grand final because of them then you have to argue the same for every Vic premier since the AFL became a "national" competition. That's it. That's my point.

Port lost the game because they were s**t. We bottled it and didn't take the opportunities presented to us. We should've won and the sub par performance of every one of our veterans was deplorable, except for Ebert who I thought was fantastic in stepping into defense and courageous as all hell with his final ever play 😭. There's no excuses for our loss. Again that's not where I started this discussion though. I'm not whinging about our performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This entire conversation started because I was replying to a Richmond supporter complaining that they would probably play Brisbane in the Grand final because Brisbane had been gifted unfair advantages this year. Which they have, but the big Victorian clubs especially get those sorts of advantages every year. If you're going to start arguing they only made the Grand final because of them then you have to argue the same for every Vic premier since the AFL became a "national" competition. That's it. That's my point.

Port lost the game because they were sh*t. We bottled it and didn't take the opportunities presented to us. We should've won and the sub par performance of every one of our veterans was deplorable, except for Ebert who I thought was fantastic in stepping into defense and courageous as all hell with his final ever play 😭. There's no excuses for our loss. Again that's not where I started this discussion though. I'm not whinging about our performance.
Fair enough.

But last year and this year have really put egg on a few faces, Richmond beat Brisbane up there last year and Port last night, so they have proved themselves in my book.

Yeah so those 4 games were all against mcg tenants, we haven't played a proper home game this season. But its unlike bigfooty to over exaggerate.

There was one Rioli got away with. The throw between the legs. How the ump thought that was in any way legal is boggling.
mostly thought the game was pretty well umpired and they bought into the finals atmosphere and didn’t over officiate.

Pickett dropped the ball on several occasions. It’s a bloody hard game to umpire and there’s so much room for interpretation, but it’d be great if they could at least be consistent within a game. I had no problem with the numerous free kicks against port for losing the ball in a tackle, it’s just the tigers weren’t equally punished in my opinion.

I should add that the AFL umpires are nowhere near as bad as most rugby union referees.

Fair enough.

But last year and this year have really put egg on a few faces, Richmond beat Brisbane up there last year and Port last night, so they have proved themselves in my book.

Yeah that's fair, I do agree they've earned their way to the Grand finals with their finals performances over the last few years, as you said, they haven't done them all at home.

The lack of travel in a usual H&A season has to be a leg up in reaching those finals each year though. How much of a leg up I guess is questionable, but since all I've heard for the last few weeks is how important "sleeping in your own bed" is then obviously it's some sort of leg up.

Whatever, I'm coming down for the disappointment of last night now. Might even be able to watch next week now without raging. Maybe.

alt account fail lol

Big time. When the adrenaline waivers and the nervous drinking over the last 1 hour catches up with you....and you decide to pick up the phone...... but forget what thread your in. .... cmon Ghost ya bum 🥴

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know a lot mud is thrown around on these forums, but this is just lol.

Your ability to turn making a grand final appear to be a negative, while in the same paragraph claim victory for having pick 1 (because you were the worst team out of 18) is truely amazing.

Even Trump would cringe at that mental gymnastics.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about port not us

Looking at the stats and watching some of the key moments back, Port lost the game in the same way they've lost a lot of games in the past 5 years - a lot of possessions at half back and on the wings and a lot of Inside 50s, but no real structure or plan. They got away with it this year in the minor round with a favourable draw but never fixed the core issue and got exposed last night and against Geelong, who didn't kick straight.

Ugly game but at least it was close and therefore, entertaining. Umpiring wasn’t great and ended up favouring the visitors. Awful deliberate call in the last 10 minutes; only the umpires, one-eyed fans and BT thought that was the correct decision

The Hartlett deliberate oob was as obvious as it gets. Absolutely the right call.

Those posters who want to partake in next week's GF thread should consider whether or not derailing this thread for the sake of trolling is going to be worth your time.

The escalated infraction system is still in place & if you want to troll teams, do it on your own board or on bay13. Not here

Back