Autopsy AFL 2020 First Preliminary Final - Port v Tigers Fri October 16th 7:50pm AEDT / 7:20pm AEST (AO) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Richmond by a goal or less

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 81 37.5%
  • Richmond by 7 - 20

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Richmond by a lot

Votes: 21 9.7%
  • Draw - Port in extra time

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Draw - Richmond in extra time

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

fu** the umps!

They did their best to get you over the line. Bad luck.
Imagine having rance retire and having Noah Balta playing twos waiting for his chance

Balta was just about BOG. Incredible composure for such a young player. Amazing how quickly he's developed.

They did their best to get you over the line. Bad luck.

Balta was just about BOG. Incredible composure for such a young player. Amazing how quickly he's developed.
Credit to leppa really he will be a massive loss he made rance what he was and now has Noah on a great path

Honestly didn't see much out of Port this finals series which tells me they've made that much of a massive leap. The midfield isn't polished enough and as the game wore on, Powell-Pepper, Rockliff and Wines' grunt became less effective. Dixon is one of those forwards who needs someone else to take the pressure off of him and struggled against Balta. Sure, they won a lot of stats last but they've often been a high possession and high inside 50 team.
Motlop is still inconsistent and they rely on too few. Their x factor is their younger players but not many teams win flags because they have some nice young forward flankers.

This game reminded me of the matches against Port in 2017 and 2019 where Richmond counter attacked and were able to make it count when it mattered. Port is still an effort side but I think you need more than that to win games of football. They were lucky to win against the cats who had a misfiring Hawkins.

Honestly didn't see much out of Port this finals series which tells me they've made that much of a massive leap. The midfield isn't polished enough and as the game wore on, Powell-Pepper, Rockliff and Wines' grunt became less effective. Dixon is one of those forwards who needs someone else to take the pressure off of him and struggled against Balta. Sure, they won a lot of stats last but they've often been a high possession and high inside 50 team.
Motlop is still inconsistent and they rely on too few. Their x factor is their younger players but not many teams win flags because they have some nice young forward flankers.

This game reminded me of the matches against Port in 2017 and 2019 where Richmond counter attacked and were able to make it count when it mattered. Port is still an effort side but I think you need more than that to win games of football. They were lucky to win against the cats who had a misfiring Hawkins.
Cool story bro. In a game where score were level at half time a few point in it at 3 quarter time and literally final margin was a goal, while we massively flopped in performance and pressure when it mattered your arrogance is astounding. Enjoy your win and move on.

What's the news on Young Jack Graham and his injury?

What's the news on Young Jack Graham and his injury?

Was this the leg? He was back on not long after so pretty sure it was just a corky.

Interestingly 2 commentators out of three on SEN crunch time disagree. I was surprised that Gerard thought it was deliberate. Massive call from umpire which ultimately determined the game.

Just as well they had someone with more than two brain cells to set them right. Whateley was on the money.

Interestingly 2 commentators out of three on SEN crunch time disagree. I was surprised that Gerard thought it was deliberate. Massive call from umpire which ultimately determined the game.
Brian said it was. End of discussion.

To be fair to Brian it was one of the more obvious ones you will see so he didn’t have to think hard to make the right call.

In real time where it looked from the back like he might have been trying a handball to a team mate it looked a shocker of a decision.

On the reverse angle replay he was clearly trying to shovel it into the 5th row.

Cool story bro. In a game where score were level at half time a few point in it at 3 quarter time and literally final margin was a goal, while we massively flopped in performance and pressure when it mattered your arrogance is astounding. Enjoy your win and move on.

It wasn't just last night, it was the Geelong game as well. In the finals, the opposition has had four and six more scoring shots which, in low scoring matches is a fair bit.

I also just don't think you flopped. I think this team has its limitations which were exposed. Your record against the top eight this year was patchy. Easily beaten by the lions, saints and cats, beat an eagles team allergic to water, beat a tigers side which tired in the last quarter, beat a bulldogs outfit who couldn't kick straight and a pies side which is a fair way off of it given their loss against the cats.

I don't really put too much stock in who finishes ontop of the ladder; the last team to win the grand final from 1st was Hawthorn in 2013 and it doesn't happen as much as it does before. There's nothing separating first from second and often not much separating third from fourth. Coupled with the fact that Port had seven games at home in a year when some teams had two, it seems like a year where someone was going to be exposed.

If Port are to be respected, they need to win finals, not just one final. They also need to make the finals regularly, otherwise this seems like a COVID inspired fluke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was facing the boundary, looking at the boundary, shaped his body to hit the ball out of bounds and hit the ball straight out of bounds, no bounce. He could have hit it anywhere else but decided to hit it to the boundary. And given how harsh they were judging the rule on the night, it was a fair call.

We've waltzed through finals recently but respect to Port. That was the toughest finals win and could have gone either way.
Yep, bloody tough game. With Port having 15 more inside 50s, I think the difference was Richmond’s back line just showing that bit more experience and composure. Also the Tigers mids hands at ground level were just that little bit better than Port in the last.

In the first 10 minutes Port felt the pressure when going forward, rushed and could have been a couple of goals up, but the experience will be valuable.

Considering the conditions, the skill, courage, speed and decision making of all players was outstanding.

Last edited:
Nearly every thread you are here crying about umpires, i can't believe you even follow footy, try another sport.

As a neutral, i thought the umpires did a pretty good job, they certainly didn't influence the result.
Easily the biggest sook on the forum.
I think it’s a piss take account tbh.

Port are going to be incredible next year and for the next 10 years if they play their cards right. Dursma, Butter, Rozzee are ******* incredible players. Wouldnt be suprised if Dodorio asks for 1 of those players and a first rounder for Fantasia
No No I disagree..... Dodorioflog will ask for 2 of them 😁

Umps paid 3 or 4 dubious deliberate oob against Richmond. They finally got it right with the call against Hartlett. It was as obvious as it gets.

It wasn't just last night, it was the Geelong game as well. In the finals, the opposition has had four and six more scoring shots which, in low scoring matches is a fair bit.

I also just don't think you flopped. I think this team has its limitations which were exposed. Your record against the top eight this year was patchy. Easily beaten by the lions, saints and cats, beat an eagles team allergic to water, beat a tigers side which tired in the last quarter, beat a bulldogs outfit who couldn't kick straight and a pies side which is a fair way off of it given their loss against the cats.

I don't really put too much stock in who finishes ontop of the ladder; the last team to win the grand final from 1st was Hawthorn in 2013 and it doesn't happen as much as it does before. There's nothing separating first from second and often not much separating third from fourth. Coupled with the fact that Port had seven games at home in a year when some teams had two, it seems like a year where someone was going to be exposed.

If Port are to be respected, they need to win finals, not just one final. They also need to make the finals regularly, otherwise this seems like a COVID inspired fluke.

Port never truly seemed like the best side at any point this year.

I felt like Richmond and Brisbane were clearly the better sides that had the better wins.

Saints absolutely owned Port on their turf earlier this year.

Baffles me anyone thinks that Hartlett decision was anything but correct. Open palmed it on the full out of bounds into the fence, and wasn't even close to Rockliff.

As deliberate as it gets, what the rule was intended for.

The ones that need discussion are the down the line clearance kicks that bounce right angles towards the line

Yep, bloody tough game. With Port having 15 more inside 50s, I think the difference was Richmond’s back line just showing that bit more experience and composure. Also the Tigers mids hands at ground level was just that little bit better than Port in the last.

In the first 10 minutes Port just felt the pressure when going forward, rushed and could have been a couple of goals up, but the experience will be so valuable.

Considering the conditions the skill, courage, speed and decision making of all players was outstanding.

Thing about Port and inside 50s is that they've often been a high inside 50 team even when they weren't good. They can get the ball forward, but for whatever reason, forward structure, delivery etc. they're not an efficient team. Neither are Richmond, but they just seemed to be able to clear space and generate chances better.

You obviously miss their blocking and holding in packs of multiple people in defence. Dixon was not allowed to jump at the ball yet got 1 free kick for the whole game. Then near end Riewoldt gets a free for both players holding each other

Dixon constantly scrags his opponent and there were a number of slow motion shots showing holding by both sides in packs. Also, Riewoldt's opponent literally grabbed his opponent and threw him to the ground whilst he was trying to win the ball. I've seen that paid before, I've seen it paid to eagles forwards before.

One of them was Kane Cornes, that’s like asking Richo if he thought he should have been pinged for hands in the back in Dreamtime 2007

Well done to Richmond, always looked the stronger side. Horrid game to watch, one side is the common denominator in the worst games to watch this year, but it wins them games.

It's almost like it was a high pressure Prelim between 2 teams that play that kind of game in the wet.

Back