Autopsy AFL 2020 First Preliminary Final - Port v Tigers Fri October 16th 7:50pm AEDT / 7:20pm AEST (AO) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Richmond by a goal or less

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 81 37.5%
  • Richmond by 7 - 20

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Richmond by a lot

Votes: 21 9.7%
  • Draw - Port in extra time

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Draw - Richmond in extra time

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually Port played just as brutal as the tigers for most of the game, was a tough game and anyone from other teams taking last nights game as an abomination should know better, the game was played in pouring rain with the pressure gauge at 110%, what do you expect? games like these were revered for their intensity, but still you complain and moan, cry , what should a game like last nights be like? --- pass the parcel at a 10y ear olds birthday party!!
GO WATCH netball you campaigners.

Umps paid 3 or 4 dubious deliberate oob against Richmond. They finally got it right with the call against Hartlett. It was as obvious as it gets.

Try to put yourself in a port fan’s shoes...really try. You’d be happy a free was paid if there was a team mate standing half a metre from where the ball crossed the boundary? I highly doubt it.

In terms of other deliberate calls, there were a couple of line-ball decisions on the long kicks to the boundary which could have gone either way. I also remember a tigers player on the ground with a swinging arm hitting ball straight over the boundary line and no free paid.

Overall I think the tigers were on the right side of the ledger in poor umpiring decisions. These decisions happen every game but we tend to only focus on them when it’s a close game.

Interestingly 2 commentators out of three on SEN crunch time disagree. I was surprised that Gerard thought it was deliberate. Massive call from umpire which ultimately determined the game.
Was the most obvious of them all night, we kicked off the ground 30 metres forward that dog legged it out of bounds and was called yet you think a guy you taps it out 2 metres from the line is contentious? The bigger story would have been if it wasn’t paid.

Was the most obvious of them all night, we kicked off the ground 30 metres forward that dog legged it out of bounds and was called yet you think a guy you taps it out 2 metres from the line is contentious? The bigger story would have been if it wasn’t paid.

With a team mate right on the boundary line 50cm from where the ball crossed?

One of them was Kane Cornes, that’s like asking Richo if he thought he should have been pinged for hands in the back in Dreamtime 2007
I was there and that was fking BS. Thought the Tigers fans were gonna burn the joint down. Rightfully so too.

Baffles me anyone thinks that Hartlett decision was anything but correct. Open palmed it on the full out of bounds into the fence, and wasn't even close to Rockliff.

As deliberate as it gets, what the rule was intended for.

The ones that need discussion are the down the line clearance kicks that bounce right angles towards the line
Obviously correct decision.
Fans lose, look for reasons, understandable if irrational.
Q4: Nankervis, Cotchin, Dimma's coaching the big reasons for Tiges winning the quarter. If anything RFC missed more goal scoring chances, should have put the game beyond dispute much earlier.

Baffles me anyone thinks that Hartlett decision was anything but correct. Open palmed it on the full out of bounds into the fence, and wasn't even close to Rockliff.

As deliberate as it gets, what the rule was intended for.

The ones that need discussion are the down the line clearance kicks that bounce right angles towards the line
Have to agree. Initially I thought he was trying to hit it to his team mate who was not far away, and close to the boundary. On the replay though it was pretty obvious he headed straight for the boundary.

Obviously correct decision.
Fans lose, look for reasons, understandable if irrational.
Q4: Nankervis, Cotchin, Dimma's coaching the big reasons for Tiges winning the quarter. If anything RFC missed more goal scoring chances, should have put the game beyond dispute much earlier.
Have to agree. Initially I thought he was trying to hit it to his team mate who was not far away, and close to the boundary. On the replay though it was pretty obvious he headed straight for the boundary.
You guys are a bit too intelligent for bigfooty, what are you doing here?

Nice to see some logical people

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually Port played just as brutal as the tigers for most of the game, was a tough game and anyone from other teams taking last nights game as an abomination should know better, the game was played in pouring rain with the pressure gauge at 110%, what do you expect? games like these were revered for their intensity, but still you complain and moan, cry , what should a game like last nights be like? --- pass the parcel at a 10y ear olds birthday party!!
GO WATCH netball you campaigners.
Lite Footy Supporters. Looking for an orgsm of goals and bruise free football. Want to ban bumping, want to reduce players in and around the contest. Likely comfy middle class single children with liberal arts backgrounds ;)

Went straight to the line, didn’t even try to direct it to rockcliff.

Agree to disagree here. You’re not going to sway me with your opinion and I won’t be able to sway you either. I doubt you’d be happy if the tigers had lost by a goal and that free was paid against your team in the last part of the game.

Agree to disagree here. You’re not going to sway me with your opinion and I won’t be able to sway you either. I doubt you’d be happy if the tigers had lost by a goal and that free was paid against your team in the last part of the game.
The ball went in a straight line to the same line he was traveling, a Port player either side of the ball, if he had of hit the ball toward either of them players, no free, but he didn't, he hit it straight to the boundary.

Definitely wouldn’t be happy like I was when Rioli gave away that 50, was definitely the correct decision however. Agree to disagree anyway.
Good luck tonight.

On the Hartlett decision, neither PA 'receiver' put their arms out to try to catch the ball, nor did Hartlett apologise for missing his teammate with the handpass, as usually happens in that situation. Neither 'receiver' even looked at Hartlett after he missed them. That tells you, and the umpires, what the intent was.

The ball also missed his 'intended' target by 2 metres, for a 2 metre handball. Deliberate all day long.

Hartlett.png

EDIT: No I don't work in McDonald's marketing.

Last edited:
Only a few years ago no one had a problem with Byron Pickett knocking guys the fu** out every week. Even Jeremey Cameron has been rubbed out for big weeks for taking defenceless guys out in packs with his elbows and knocking them out, but no one has a problem with him. But Lynch.. He pushed the back of someone's head! What a monster. He gently put his knee on someone's shoulder - the horror! And he gave someone a tummy tap just like the Port player did last night, which no one will give a sh*t about because it was so completely harmless. If Lynch played for a cellar dweller, and people weren't all hysterical due to covid, no one would even notice what he does
But he plays for the premiers, in Covid, when everyone is hysterical.

But in honesty, I agree. Football needs the aggression.

Rather than trying to blame the call on Hartlett look to some other instances that contributed.
Duursma’s missed mark dead in front.
4th qtr
centre clearances and clearances in general. Ports on ballers not manning up or standing flat footed.
Boak’s decision to hit to the boundary with less than a minute to go, rather than whack it forward.
Poor forward entry to hit Grimes? in the clear by 30 metres.
Probably plenty of others.
To pick one instance out shows little knowledge of the game really. IMO. Just poor sportsmanship and disappointment showing through.
Its like some of the port supporters calling for Hinkley’s head. They weren’t saying much before the game when he had them winning the McClellan Trophy for the minor premiership. It’s a game of inches sometimes.

Richmond missed chances with some simple set shots during the game. Lynch’s non mark similar to Duursma’s.
Poor umpiring decisions Ie Bolton’s deliberate oob as he was slung in a tackle. Plenty of other missed opportunities.
But that's the game.

Not sure how getting the ball forward at all costs constitutes a boring game style. It’s frenetic and fast, the way football should be played.
Anybody with half a clue about footy knows bash and crash the ball forward in the wet or forget about it.

Back