Autopsy AFL 2020 GRAND FINAL - Richmond v Geelong Sat October 24th 7:30pm AEDT/6:30PM AEST (Gabba) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win the 2020 Grand Final and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 122 39.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 26 8.4%
  • Draw - Tigers in extra time

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Draw - Cats in extra time

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Always has to be an Eagles fan doesn't it.
How embarrassing are their supporters?

Eagles fans have taken this GF result far harder than Geelong fans (who, to their credit, have mostly been really good).

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If I was the MRP, I'd have made a comment in their report about having looked at it, but no sanction as he deemed it as incidental due to being a continuation from his previous action in going for the ball. I'd do that because I figure any incident that causes significant injury that isn't completely obvious (e.g. with Simpson) warrants an explanation of why it was/wasn't cited.

It SHOULD have been a free for high contact, but that's it.

I consider it similar to the Cotchin/Shiel contact in the 2017 PF. Cotchin/Dangerfield's only goals there were the ball and self preservation. That bracing for impact caused him to catch the other guy high was just bad luck....AKA incidental contact.

As a Richmond fan I feel for Vlastuin, and worried about him and the impact it would have on the game, but let's be consistent about how we judge these things. (and I trust those who still say Cotchin got off easy in 2017 are calling for Dangerfield to cop a suspension far longer than they wanted for Cotchin due to the higher impact here, lest they be accused of hypocrisy)

I',m actually sick of hearing complaints about how it is all unfair. Cotchin Bumped in 2017 - dangerfield didn't. Cotchin also got to play. If you want to penalise 100% on outcome, Lynch gets at least a week off from splitting someone's head open with his elbow against St Kilda. You might as well add Riewoldt in as well who clipped Ebert's head with his elbow before he hit the ground.

The only time I have seen someone get rubbed out for an accidental fist/ elbow was Kurt Tippet for being a ******* unco here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...can-accept-onematch-bans-20150629-gi0iy1.html

There is nothing in it.

Happy to have it looked at and explained. Funny how all of your supporters were coming into the Cotchin MRP thread to troll everyone though. Was the most unnecessary and dangerous tackle I have seen for a very long time. Very lucky the St kilda player got up and no mention of it being reviewed. Happy to dish it out, but have a sook when you're on the receiving end.

I',m actually sick of hearing complaints about how it is all unfair. Cotchin Bumped in 2017 - dangerfield didn't. Cotchin also got to play. If you want to penalise 100% on outcome, Lynch gets at least a week off from splitting someone's head open with his elbow against St Kilda. You might as well add Riewoldt in as well who clipped Ebert's head with his elbow before he hit the ground.

The only time I have seen someone get rubbed out for an accidental fist/ elbow was Kurt Tippet for being a ******* unco here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...can-accept-onematch-bans-20150629-gi0iy1.html

There is nothing in it.

Happy to have it looked at and explained. Funny how all of your supporters were coming into the Cotchin MRP thread to troll everyone though. Was the most unnecessary and dangerous tackle I have seen for a very long time. Very lucky the St kilda player got up and no mention of it being reviewed. Happy to dish it out, but have a sook when you're on the receiving end.

Same thing in that both were the result of actions 'in play' at the time.

Contact that results from such actions are deemed incidental.

Duckenthusiast

All Australian
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Same thing in that both were the result of actions 'in play' at the time.

Contact that results from such actions are deemed incidental.

Bumps aren't incidental. Its a conscious decision to bump over a tackle. Dangerfield is entitled to play the ball. If he grabs it, he is tackled immediately and could be pinged for HTB. Slaps have less power than punches and he still could have bitch slapped Vlaustin if he slaps. If he spoils in a market contest and someone runs facefirst into his fist, its not reportable. I don't see how this is any different. He punched the ball, and then retracted his arm to brace himself. You are basically asking him to either take clean possession of the ball to his disadvantage and get tackled, or knock the ball out and throw his hands up leaving his ribs completely exposed. I don't understand why noone from Richmond understands the rules.

Bumps aren't incidental. Its a conscious decision to bump over a tackle. Dangerfield is entitled to play the ball. If he grabs it, he is tackled immediately and could be pinged for HTB. Slaps have less power than punches and he still could have b*tch slapped Vlaustin if he slaps. If he spoils in a market contest and someone runs facefirst into his fist, its not reportable. I don't see how this is any different. He punched the ball, and then retracted his arm to brace himself. You are basically asking him to either take clean possession of the ball to his disadvantage and get tackled, or knock the ball out and throw his hands up leaving his ribs completely exposed. I don't understand why noone from Richmond understands the rules.

Did you read what I wrote?

Like this bit...

no sanction ... incidental due to being a continuation from his previous action in going for the ball.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Still shoulda been a free kick to Vlaustin. But I agree it was in the contest and Danger has no cause to answer, not much else he could do. Watching slow-mo takes too much context out and makes you think he had a choice. 99.9% of players in that situation would have done the same. Sucks for Nick, but no malice intended in my opinion.

But it should have gone to the tribunal, just for some sort of official clarification.

Yeah there was * all Dangerfield could do there it was just unlucky.
People need to realize footy isn’t played in slow motion.

Not as embarrassing as the gifted fixture your club receives from AFL HQ every season for the last 4 years. :thumbsu:
I know right.
I mean it's jutht tho unfair.
In a regular season Richmond get to play most of their home games on there home ground, the most neutral in the AFL. Poor widdle Wetht Coatht only get to play all of their home games on their home ground with, arguably, the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL.
The AFL blatantly refuses to give the Eagle the 20 gal head start in every game that you know they are entitled too. Also they allow Victorian clubs to have 18 players on the ground not just one, with his arms tied behind his back. Even more outrageous than all of that though, West Coast doesn't even represent all of W.A., yet Richmond represents an entire suburb of Melbourne.

It's all tho unfair and you're tho entitled to tho much more than you already get.

F'ing pathetic.

Credit to Richmond FC for not only forming a guard of honour in difficult circumstances (emotion and euphoria of winning the flag) for GAJ, tucked their medals into their guernseys to salute GAJ.
I didn't even realise they did that with the medals. Class act

I didn't even realise they did that with the medals. Class act
neither did i mate. agreed class act. For all the criticism the club received this year, things like this as well as respect for fallen opponents (ebert and simpson) are missed

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
Always has to be an Eagles fan doesn't it.
How embarrassing are their supporters?
How were they on Saturday thinking people would get upset because it was raining and it should have been at Optus. And now as you say always an Eagles supporter being so so salty.
They really are an embarrassment and reflect poorly on their fellow supporters that are normal.

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
This one was sweet because we had to beat a really, really great side in Geelong. What a mighty club they are. Since 2007 they have been right there almost without fail. Massive credit to Chris Scott. He has often (rightly) been accused of being salty post game. That was one of the classiest losing post GF pressers I have ever seen, kudos.

That was a great game, a fantastic GF.

Commiserations Geelong and supporters, particularly my old mate Wojcinski and PhatBoy whose posting I really enjoy.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This one was sweet because we had to beat a really, really great side in Geelong. What a mighty club they are. Since 2007 they have been right there almost without fail. Massive credit to Chris Scott. He has often (rightly) been accused of being salty post game. That was one of the classiest losing post GF pressers I have ever seen, kudos.

That was a great game, a fantastic GF.

Commiserations Geelong and supporters, particularly my old mate Wojcinski and PhatBoy whose posting I really enjoy.

Mate very gracious, top post.

Still really deflated after that, just because a win in a GF over a team as good as Richmond would have been unbelievable if nothing else. To be thereabouts and then just watch it disappear was pretty heartbreaking. But can't help but think 'wow, we gave it a shot and they were just too good.'

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
neither did i mate. agreed class act. For all the criticism the club received this year, things like this as well as respect for fallen opponents (ebert and simpson) are missed
I remember Broad last year help Coniglio up of the ground in the opening minutes signaling to the giants bench he was in trouble, and it was Broad and Astbury in the granny who went to Jenkins on the stretcher for a pat and words of encouragement.

And Astbury picked up tex's empty plastic water bottle he threw on the ground and gave it to a security guy to dispose of....lol.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Not as embarrassing as the gifted fixture your club receives from AFL HQ every season for the last 4 years. :thumbsu:
I think one thing we can conclude from season 2020 is that home ground advantage is actually much more important for interstate clubs than Vic clubs. Supposed flag contenders like WC and GWS struggled badly when playing on neutral grounds. Teams like Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood were good enough even spending basically no time at home. Even HG finals for Port, Brisbane and WC didn't stop them.

I think interstate teams get dependent on their home ground advantage, with one-sided crowds, the umpiring that goes with that, not hearing any oppo fans etc. Then when they play on a neutral ground, or in front of a neutral ground on GF day, they can't handle it.

Vic teams are used to playing each other where the crowds aren't one-sided, or having to play 'home' games at Marvel or whatever, which makes the teams much more adaptable to a range of circumstances, as this year showed.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Last 4 years, does that includes this year?
Think not.
Remember Richmond was the only preliminary side to travel interstate this year and still managed to win the flag. That's not being gifted.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry but they do.

I still look at the sides we beat - well, two of them - in total admiration. I look at the swans in admiration when they’ve been done.

And everyone remembers who finished second in 2017 because it’s been one of the greatest clusterf***s in the history of the sport in the time since.

I’ve taken my medicine. I’ve spent the last 20 minutes telling Richmond fans how proud they should be.

Listening to some footnote supporting wannabe 15 beers deep trying to make himself feel better over his own team’s miserable recent existence is but a distraction

For what little it's worth, I think the Cats are a class outfit -- from the board down to the playing group.

It's not meant to be anything but a compliment when I say beating you guys on Saturday makes me happy! Simply put, the best wins are the ones that come against the best opposition and that's what Geelong are. I'm going to have a few reasons for thinking 2020 is the best Tiger's flag I've seen (and I've seen them all since 73). The fact that we had to get over Geelong is one of those reasons.

Your boys did well this year (hell, for the last decade) and you should be proud.

Sad to see GAJ hang up the boots and hope Simpson recovers without any ongoing issues.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
For what little it's worth, I think the Cats are a class outfit -- from the board down to the playing group.

It's not meant to be anything but a compliment when I say beating you guys on Saturday makes me happy! Simply put, the best wins are the ones that come against the best opposition and that's what Geelong are. I'm going to have a few reasons for thinking 2020 is the best Tiger's flag I've seen (and I've seen them all since 73). The fact that we had to get over Geelong is one of those reasons.

Your boys did well this year (hell, for the last decade) and you should be proud.

Sad to see GAJ hang up the boots and hope Simpson recovers without any ongoing issues.

Thanks mate, and while I recognised that it may have helped us win, I was pretty shattered to see Vlastuin out of action so early the other night. It's not a nice feeling to beat a side if they're down a man - I know a lot of Tigers fans blew up but it was a pure accident - but to their credit they just got on with business. I would have had a flag from Saturday up there with 2009. With respect to Collingwood in 2011, I always felt we had their measure. St Kilda didn't give me that impression in 2009 so to get the better of them was just amazing, and doing the same to a hardened Richmond team would have given me similar satisfaction.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks mate, and while I recognised that it may have helped us win, I was pretty shattered to see Vlastuin out of action so early the other night. It's not a nice feeling to beat a side if they're down a man - I know a lot of Tigers fans blew up but it was a pure accident - but to their credit they just got on with business. I would have had a flag from Saturday up there with 2009. With respect to Collingwood in 2011, I always felt we had their measure. St Kilda didn't give me that impression in 2009 so to get the better of them was just amazing, and doing the same to a hardened Richmond team would have given me similar satisfaction.

Yeah, I was a bit upset about Vlaustin and Danger's mum certainly wouldn't like to have heard what I had to say about him just after it happened!

Taking off my black and yellow spectacles, I think I'm okay with it now, however.

I will say one thing on a related tangent -- a bit later in the game Shane Edwards gave away a free for kicking in danger when he threw a foot at a ball just as a Geelong player tried to grab it. Like the Danger/Vlaustin incident there was no malice, just something that happens in the course of play. I couldn't help but think that it's a strange aberration of our game that being kicked in the hand during play is considered problematic but being elbowed in the head isn't.

As I say, I'm okay with the Danger/Vlaustin incident now, so I'm not trying to argue that there should be any penalty against Danger. I'm just musing on how weird some of the rules/interpretations can be.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, I was a bit upset about Vlaustin and Danger's mum certainly wouldn't like to have heard what I had to say about him just after it happened!

Taking off my black and yellow spectacles, I think I'm okay with it now, however.

I will say one thing on a related tangent -- a bit later in the game Shane Edwards gave away a free for kicking in danger when he threw a foot at a ball just as a Geelong player tried to grab it. Like the Danger/Vlaustin incident there was no malice, just something that happens in the course of play. I couldn't help but think that it's a strange aberration of our game that being kicked in the hand during play is considered problematic but being elbowed in the head isn't.

As I say, I'm okay with the Danger/Vlaustin incident now, so I'm not trying to argue that there should be any penalty against Danger. I'm just musing on how weird some of the rules/interpretations can be.

i agree 100 per cent, I actually had to stop and explain the kicking-in-danger rule to my young bloke and was thinking the same thing at the time. I know there is a bit of a duty of care on players but as far as I'm concerned if your action is purely related to the ball (ie. I don't support Toby Greene style karate kicks 2m away from where the ball actually is) then anything else is merely an accident and needs to be treated as such.

Back