Autopsy AFL 2020 GRAND FINAL - Richmond v Geelong Sat October 24th 7:30pm AEDT/6:30PM AEST (Gabba) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win the 2020 Grand Final and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 122 39.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 26 8.4%
  • Draw - Tigers in extra time

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Draw - Cats in extra time

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They have gone up gear cats last 2 games.I think from themselves and opposition to.Give cats time and space they will cut you up.Both those games had little pressure and tackling intensity a must in finals footy.Can Danger play permanent forward all game I don't think so he will be needed in the guts just like we need Martin at times to.

Isn’t chaos football just another word for playing football. It’s what all teams did prior to 1997
Every dynasty team played a form of "chaos footy".

"Chaos footy" is really just being predictable to each other with ball constantly in motion and forward momentum.

Ruckmen in the 90's played a form of chaos footy when they thumped the ball 20 metres to capitalise on momentum.

I think mongrel, grubber and torpedo kicks could be classified as truly chaos footy because of it's unpredictability.

They have gone up gear cats last 2 games.I think from themselves and opposition to.Give cats time and space they will cut you up.Both those games had little pressure and tackling intensity a must in finals footy.Can Danger play permanent forward all game I don't think so he will be needed in the guts just like we need Martin at times to.
I dont think you can judge them on their past 2 games - I think they've had a good run against 2 sides that were cooked. Both oppo teams had played their GF the game before and looked flat. Geelong have always been good at putting sides away.

Having said that I dont think the Tigers have been very impressive - probably since they played the Cats in R17.

Have the Cats benefited from a couple of soft games to build confidence or are the Tigers better off having played a more hostile game against Port.

The form-line is tough to read. If it was a horse race you'd say Geelong are stepping up in class after having won pulling away by 5 lengths 2 previous starts. Tigers slogged it out in a tight one on a wet track at Group 1 level

hmm, tough call.

i guess i want former Gold Coast player Gaz jnr to end with the fairytale moreso than former Gold Coast player Tom Lynch to win another flag.

sooo, on balance, I guess I am wanting the cats to win.

but to be honest, i just want a good game, well umpired, no ARC decisions, and a professional commentary team.
i know I wont get most of that.

The rumour is that Matt Stevic, Simon Meredith and Craig Fleer will be the umpires.

Really surprised about Craig Fleer being included, as I thought he was poor on Saturday night. Equally surprised at the omission of Shaun Ryan.

The rumour is that Matt Stevic, Simon Meredith and Craig Fleer will be the umpires.

Really surprised about Craig Fleer being included, as I thought he was poor on Saturday night. Equally surprised at the omission of Shaun Ryan.
No one like’s the guy that grades umpires lmao

Gee wiz. Close call this one. I will likely have 2nd thoughts later in the week.
For now...

Ive had CATS as faves most of the year due to the obvious determined demeanor they have displayed this year, and the better spread of reliance over more players this year compared to last. I am also thinking this great RFC side does have vulnerabilities (which team hasn't, perhaps Blues 79 - 82, or Hawks 80s come closest to having most angles covered) against oppo on their game with dynamic and unpredictable forward lines which can catch out their effective but predictable defense. No knock on predictability btw, remember Lions trilogy teams? Very predictable but how do you stop them?

Also, Tiges form this year has not been as hot as CATS, they have however been good enough and won most big games sans Lions final.

I just think Cats are the form side. So, back the form side.

Caveat - it's RFC, finals hardened, done it before, great coach, self belief, relaxed.

Cats have refound their earlier season form, they can be prolific scorers, something Richmond this year not so much.

A final caveat, pressure wins finals. Richmond's all ground pressure on show versus port, versus cats scoreboard pressure if they bang a few through in quick order.

Cats by 2 goals, with no great confidence. I wouldn't put my house on it but would risk putting my wife up.

Wow it's all happening down at Cat land at the moment. Arguably the biggest signing/trade since Buddy & Dangerfield has nominated them along with Higgins & potentially Brad Crouch. Kind of liking all the spotlight on them while we try stay under the radar. Can only hope all this outside noise can distract them come Saturday!

Hawkins & Cameron in the same forward line wowee 😬!

Last edited:
Good post. Grimes to Dangerfield would certainly be a win for us because it would prevent Grimes from being able to go third man up against Hawk. When you beat us late in the season, Hawkins barely got a 1-on-1 against Balta all night. We played a first gamer in Jarvis on Grimes, and Grimes rightly paid him no respect.
If its not grimes its Vlastuin, who does it just as well.

One thing Chris Scott has nailed this finals is getting a better defensive performance out of guys like Ablett and Rohan, but also backing them to be dangerous offensively which can really change the mindset of their oppo. In having a heap of score involvements, GAJ also took Daniel Rich out of the game, as Rich started to second guess himself and look for Ablett more than for quarter-backing opportunities. Grimes was best on last time we played - no doubt Scott will have a big plan to get someone dangerous to try to match up with Grimes and make him accountable.

I think we will send Balta to Hawk, Broad to Rohan, Vlaustin to Ablett, which frees up Grimes. If Geelong play Danger forward, I think Grimes might have to go to him, which is already a win for Geelong. Unless Richmond send Baker to Ablett, and then Vlaustin and Broad could cover Rohan and Danger, keeping Grimes loose, and then it would be a matter of whether Geelong can effectively iso GAJ on Baker, since he's a much bigger stronger man than Baker.
Yep I think baker will go to Ablett, broad is a great match up for Rohan as has the speed to go with him, Balta to Hawkins and grimes to danger when he is there leaving vlaustin to intercept. When danger isn’t there that will be grimes role. Geelong will try and make grimes/vlaustin accountable however both are kings of the intercept so as long as one gets free it’s a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just saw Cats are something like 5-0 at the Gabba from their last 5 with a 52 point average winning margin, those wins include 3 top 8 teams.

Given their last 2 weeks, fair to say they come in with the better form.

Tigers have been good at the Gabba for a long time, but that's historically against just one opponent not necessarily a ground factor.

Geelong controlled field position really well in the prelim; they just seemed to be able to find the boundary with long kicks with just enough proximity to a player without getting deliberate paid; itll be advantageous if they can do it as well against the tigers to limit the scores from back half turnovers. Their pressure and structure has also been first rate.

in comparison to Brisbane the Tigers will get more of a contest from Lynch and Riewoldt and will deliver it better to them, so Geelongs ability to pick off forward entries as easily will be less. As already covered by others centre clearances and scoring from stoppage also important for tigers, they will no doubt hold their own.

The weather should be fine around the gabba itself, good luck to both teams, hopefully its the cap off to the season everyone wants, impossible to tip, but think Geelong by 5 points

I just saw Cats are something like 5-0 at the Gabba from their last 5 with a 52 point average winning margin, those wins include 3 top 8 teams.

Given their last 2 weeks, fair to say they come in with the better form.

Tigers have been good at the Gabba for a long time, but that's historically against just one opponent not necessarily a ground factor.
Look at our record at Adelaide oval compared to Port last week. Adelaide oval is a much skinnier ground while the Gabba is as wide as the G although shorter. Richmond can adjust to the ground as needed, our first loss at the Gabba in 16 years came 2 weeks ago, don’t think it’s a ground that holds any fears.

Last edited:
Gee wiz. Close call this one. I will likely have 2nd thoughts later in the week.
For now...

Ive had CATS as faves most of the year due to the obvious determined demeanor they have displayed this year, and the better spread of reliance over more players this year compared to last. I am also thinking this great RFC side does have vulnerabilities (which team hasn't, perhaps Blues 79 - 82, or Hawks 80s come closest to having most angles covered) against oppo on their game with dynamic and unpredictable forward lines which can catch out their effective but predictable defense. No knock on predictability btw, remember Lions trilogy teams? Very predictable but how do you stop them?

Also, Tiges form this year has not been as hot as CATS, they have however been good enough and won most big games sans Lions final.

I just think Cats are the form side. So, back the form side.

Caveat - it's RFC, finals hardened, done it before, great coach, self belief, relaxed.

Cats have refound their earlier season form, they can be prolific scorers, something Richmond this year not so much.

A final caveat, pressure wins finals. Richmond's all ground pressure on show versus port, versus cats scoreboard pressure if they bang a few through in quick order.

Cats by 2 goals, with no great confidence. I wouldn't put my house on it but would risk putting my wife up.

Cats will have to kick more than the 6 goals they’ve scored against us in the Last 6 qtrs they’ve played us.

Maybe you could trade your wife for Trent Cotchin's wife if Richmond win?

And if Geelong win you could trade your wife for Trent Cotchin's wife.

Obvious winners would be the Tiger Army, the greater good, Trent Cotchin, and probably your wife (no offence, but who amongst could compare to the great man). Unfortunate loser in this scenario would be yourself - but you would have our everlasting gratitude!

One night in October
Who is going to to be sober

I'm in Victoria. Sober isn't an effective coping strategy with this government.

If you don't have a solid beer buzz 24*7, you might focus enough to realise the destruction the lockdown has done.

Back