Autopsy AFL 2020 GRAND FINAL - Richmond v Geelong Sat October 24th 7:30pm AEDT/6:30PM AEST (Gabba) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win the 2020 Grand Final and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 122 39.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 26 8.4%
  • Draw - Tigers in extra time

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Draw - Cats in extra time

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont think you can judge them on their past 2 games - I think they've had a good run against 2 sides that were cooked. Both oppo teams had played their GF the game before and looked flat. Geelong have always been good at putting sides away.

Having said that I dont think the Tigers have been very impressive - probably since they played the Cats in R17.

Have the Cats benefited from a couple of soft games to build confidence or are the Tigers better off having played a more hostile game against Port.

The form-line is tough to read. If it was a horse race you'd say Geelong are stepping up in class after having won pulling away by 5 lengths 2 previous starts. Tigers slogged it out in a tight one on a wet track at Group 1 level
lol this is a funny take, apparantly all season Geelong has benefitted from playing vs 'cooked' opposition who obviously weren't trying. I'd imagine the Cats would have gone 0-17 otherwise.

Go figure, Brisbane Lions having won their first final in almost a decade against bogey team Richmond, an extra weeks break for a home final, young legs against old perennial finals chokers Geelong and yet for some reason they gave up before the first bounce? Geelong must be one seriously lucky team.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
You honestly believe Brisbane just wasn't trying in the PF? It had nothing to do with Geelong?

You should know that, having beaten the almighty Tigers in the QF, Brisbane was quite content to lose the prelim by seven goals because they'd achieved all of their aims for 2020.

As Chris Scott would say, mission accomplished.

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
You honestly believe Brisbane just wasn't trying in the PF? It had nothing to do with Geelong?
no they were trying but I dont think they were as switched on as they were for the QF. I think they set themselves for the QF and mentally were complacent with where they were at after winning that game. Same with Collingwood. If teams are even 5% off then Geelong are the sort of team that will take full advantage.

I'm not saying Geelong aren't a great team - I believe the best 2 teams are in the GF - but I dont believe Geelong can be fully judged on those 2 games alone.

MattyJayJ

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

Supposedly Geelong’s big wins have had less to do with them and more to do with their opponents all year. When we smashed the Saints and Port a couple of months ago it was due to them having off nights, coming off short breaks, Port were spent from their previous game etc. Never mind that we had a 4 day break between those games ourselves. Essendon got within 2 goals of Richmond, then beat Hawthorn, then got within a couple of goals of WCE, but when we beat them by 11 goals the following game it’s because they’re a rabble. Same story in the finals, Collingwood had checked out and Brisbane playing for a GF spot on their home deck after a week to freshen up and with essentially a full strength side just decided not to fire a shot.

Believe me I’m not salty about what anyone else thinks, it’s just so amusing that when Richmond win the narrative is “they don’t let teams play how they want to play,” but when Geelong win it’s always that our opponents didn’t show up. Maybe the Cats aren’t so bad at shutting down their opponents games too. Whoever wins on Saturday it won’t be because the opposition didn’t show up, it’ll simply come down to which team is good enough to get the game on their terms for longer and make the most of their opportunities.

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
When we smashed the Saints and Port a couple of months ago it was due to them having off nights, coming off short breaks, Port were spent from their previous game etc
and then Port beat you in the QF - so how do you explain that? Geelong had an off night maybe?

Sometimes teams are up, sometimes they are down - it only needs to be a slight variance. I think in the last 2 games your oppo was down on the previous week. Hope both teams are up and about on Saturday - if so it should be a cracker

MattyJayJ

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
and then Port beat you in the QF - so how do you explain that? Geelong had an off night maybe?

Sometimes teams are up, sometimes they are down - it only needs to be a slight variance. I think in the last 2 games your oppo was down on the previous week. Hope both teams are up and about on Saturday - if so it should be a cracker

Unlike us they took the most of their opportunities and ultimately were better on the night when it mattered, no excuses. Agree that there are a lot of variables at play, realistically 2 teams could play each other 2 games in a row and achieve a vastly different outcome each time. A lot of little things go into winning a game of footy, but I reckon it has a lot more to do with one team’s merits than another team simply not showing up on the day.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Hard to get a reading on the result, I’m finding myself changing thoughts almost hourly 😂, one minute I’m thinking tigers are just going to maul us, next I think we will turn it on and send off Gaz the right way, round and round we go.

All I know, is Richmond know what to do, they’re experienced, they’ve been here before, they have big game players who step up at the right time almost every time, and the chaos footy is hard to stop when it gets going. For us to win, we have to be on from the get go, don’t give them an inch, hit the scoreboard early when chances come our way, and hope that luck is on our side on the night.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I think the MCG turf strip being brought to the Gabba is a disgrace. I hope the cringe stops there. Celebrate the Gabba's history and traditions past, present and emerging rather than invading it with this pandering Vic appeasement. Give the Gabba it's year. No live cross from the MCG surface or any insulting junk like that please.

It'll over well before QT.

I've said it before, absolute choke if Richmond don't beat 119

Hi Chris Scott.

lol this is a funny take, apparantly all season Geelong has benefitted from playing vs 'cooked' opposition who obviously weren't trying. I'd imagine the Cats would have gone 0-17 otherwise.

Go figure, Brisbane Lions having won their first final in almost a decade against bogey team Richmond, an extra weeks break for a home final, young legs against old perennial finals chokers Geelong and yet for some reason they gave up before the first bounce? Geelong must be one seriously lucky team.

Not nearly as lucky as Richmond.

For the last 4 years we've just been a seriously crap team rolling on a wave of luck.

Just ask BF.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I think the MCG turf strip being brought to the Gabba is a disgrace. I hope the cringe stops there. Celebrate the Gabba's history and traditions past, present and emerging rather than invading it with this pandering Vic appeasement. Give the Gabba it's year. No live cross from the MCG surface or any insulting junk like that please.
Of course they are going to cringey stuff. Like the fan megawall thing. There are people at the game. Why have this?

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Hard to get a reading on the result, I’m finding myself changing thoughts almost hourly 😂, one minute I’m thinking tigers are just going to maul us, next I think we will turn it on and send off Gaz the right way, round and round we go.

All I know, is Richmond know what to do, they’re experienced, they’ve been here before, they have big game players who step up at the right time almost every time, and the chaos footy is hard to stop when it gets going. For us to win, we have to be on from the get go, don’t give them an inch, hit the scoreboard early when chances come our way, and hope that luck is on our side on the night.
Haha I’m exactly the same, one minute I’m thinking dusty will get his 3rd ns and we’ll go back2back and the next I have visions of Ablett being chaired off with a medal around his neck and me trying to explain to my young son why I’m crying lol. Who knows what will happen I’m trying to just enjoy the ride... as much as you can in Melbourne right now anyway.

ShaunWCEFC

All Australian
Jan 22, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong by 11 points

First Goal: Shai Bolton

Norm Smith: Mitch Duncan

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Have to say i was more nervous in 2017 & 2019 and have been pretty calm this year

With all the Dangerfield must get a flag , send Gazza & Taylor off with a flag , Scott finals drama's

Does anybody think there is a little bit of extra pressure on the cats and are they playing this game too much in their heads before they runout for the game

Emma Murry was on the radio mentioning how she encourages the team and the coaches to not spend too much time thinking about whats going to happen and burnout before the game.

Just thinking about the images of Gazza,Danger,Selwood,Scott,Hawkins after a loss . Could be alot of tears

Back