Autopsy AFL 2020 GRAND FINAL - Richmond v Geelong Sat October 24th 7:30pm AEDT/6:30PM AEST (Gabba) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win the 2020 Grand Final and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 122 39.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 26 8.4%
  • Draw - Tigers in extra time

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Draw - Cats in extra time

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

At risk of sounding like an arrogant prick - I can't believe how many people are tipping cats given whats happened the last few years. They were in pretty good form last time we beat them convincingly too. I'm more confident this week than the last 2, and I'm usually a bit of a pessimist when it comes to Tigers after all those rubbish years.

At risk of sounding like an arrogant prick - I can't believe how many people are tipping cats given whats happened the last few years. They were in pretty good form last time we beat them convincingly too. I'm more confident this week than the last 2, and I'm usually a bit of a pessimist when it comes to Tigers after all those rubbish years.
Nah cats are in pretty good form. The gabba, shorter quarters and non hyp factor in brisbane (no parade etc) will help unlike gws/crows in melb.

Cats have that steely resolve about them this finals series and especially after the prelim win, just like the crows had in 2017.
We can’t compare any GF involving us to 2017. We were $2.30 outsiders and had the whole fairytale story going for us. Much different thereafter

We can’t compare any GF involving us to 2017. We were $2.30 outsiders and had the whole fairytale story going for us. Much different thereafter
Not comparing us just looking at body language of the cats. Danger hardly celebrated after Friday night, just looks like he is all consumed by the grand final and winning. It very much reminds me of the crows at the start of the grand final in 2017, tex walker had that same look as they ran out. Sometimes you can play the game in your head 1000 times during the week and be exhausted by the time the game comes around.

Not comparing us just looking at body language of the cats. Danger hardly celebrated after Friday night, just looks like he is all consumed by the grand final and winning. It very much reminds me of the crows at the start of the grand final in 2017, tex walker had that same look as they ran out. Sometimes you can play the game in your head 1000 times during the week and be exhausted by the time the game comes around.
Just because players have been there and done it, does not stop it happening to them.

Different year this year, they are all in a hub, all of them may be thinking of the GF.

Collingwood 2002 turned up, Collingwood 2003 didn't

Why would you give a toss what a bunch of punters think?

What do YOU think?

Just because players have been there and done it, does not stop it happening to them.

Different year this year, they are all in a hub, all of them may be thinking of the GF.

Collingwood 2002 turned up, Collingwood 2003 didn't
True although history usually says it does help having been there and done it. Saying that the cats are an experienced team so sure they will be able to handle the pressure however danger still looks all consumed by it to me.

Why would you give a toss what a bunch of punters think?

What do YOU think?
Not just punters. A lot of experts, media personalities and players/ex players, squiggle, stats insider etc etc.

I think we should win. Geelongs go-to kick-mark, possession style suits ours nicely. Likely to be a bit of a slippery deck, we have the grand final experience and we completely shut them down last time and we weren't in great form before that game so I'm not worried about that part. We seem to be able to turn it on when required. Add to that we seem to have flicked the switch and turned a weakness into a strength in clearance work.

Not saying cats can't win, they have been very impressive the last couple of weeks, but I think it will take something special. The cats forwards had ridiculous space last week, we know they won't get that this week. Gaz basically ran around without a man. Can Rohan step up two big games in a row? Grimes has done well on Danger when forward in the past. I think it will largely come down to Hawkins impact V Lynch's impact. They'd each fancy themselves one-on-one versus Taylor/Balta but who's defensive unit can chop out best. It's going to be a great match.

True although history usually says it does help having been there and done it. Saying that the cats are an experienced team so sure they will be able to handle the pressure however danger still looks all consumed by it to me.

You might be right, or maybe he’s just not getting carried away with SF and PF wins and is realistic that the job’s not done for them yet. Your boys have got the runs on the board and might be approaching it differently, clearly Danger is laser-focused (at least publicly, could be more relaxed behind closed doors) and that could end up being an asset or a liability. Only time will tell, but it certainly hasn’t been detrimental to him the last couple of games and I can’t see him leaving anything out there on Saturday.

I wouldn't agree. Our form dropped after the Power game. We had a long break, which is often bad for us, and were then flat and right off against Adelaide, taking 3 quarters to get over them, then the Bulldogs slaughtered us in the first quarter. We then beat the Bombers easily, who were insipid, but that was hardly good preparation for a side like Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All consumed or motivated by it?

Looked to me he had unfinished business, whether that hampers him, we don't know

I wouldn't agree. Our form dropped after the Power game. We had a long break, which is often bad for us, and were then flat and right off against Adelaide, taking 3 quarters to get over them, then the Bulldogs slaughtered us in the first quarter. We then beat the Bombers easily, who were insipid, but that was hardly good preparation for a side like Richmond.
Fair points. What is better preparation for a grand final, two thumpings or two hard fought contested wins? We will find out I guess.

Can Chris Scott decipher the "Four Changes Of Destiny" and unique system that will out Tiger the Tigers ? I think not though even the "Two Changes Of Triumph" might be enough to get the job done.

Danger will be fine, he’ll play well. Anyway, he wasn’t thinking about the GF after the siren, his mind went straight to his Brownlow suit, if you can call it that.

You might be right, or maybe he’s just not getting carried away with SF and PF wins and is realistic that the job’s not done for them yet. Your boys have got the runs on the board and might be approaching it differently, clearly Danger is laser-focused (at least publicly, could be more relaxed behind closed doors) and that could end up being an asset or a liability. Only time will tell, but it certainly hasn’t been detrimental to him the last couple of games and I can’t see him leaving anything out there on Saturday.
I dont think danger will be affected by the hype at all - in fact I think he will thrive on it. This is what makes a big game player I reckon - they are not over-awed by big occasions or moments - they want the spotlight. They want to be in amongst when the whips are cracking - making the big plays. These big game players usually have big personalities and massive egos - Danger fits this criteria - like Carey, like Dusty.

I'm expecting Danger (and Dusty) to have big games and also step up in big moments

Must say it’s been pretty good natured between cats and tiger fans so far this week. Think there is a mutual respect of what each team has overcome to make it to the grand final and I must say if it’s not us I’m happy to see another Victorian team like Geelong win it. They are actually a likeable team, besides Chris Scott of course.

Although the game should be a good one, I'm like those few people who can't get too excited for it. And it's definitely not because my team isn't in it. In fact, if they were, I would still feel the same.

The reason I'm not too excited about the game is because it's not being played at the MCG. Grand Final at the G is something really special. The Gabba just feels so.....um...underwhelming for such a grand spectacle. Add to this the whole change in the season from teams hubbing, to reduced quarters, to reduced rounds, it's just really been a meh season. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that the AFL managed to get a season done given the circumstances and whoever wins will deserve it.

I'll still watch it though. But man, honestly, * the Gabba. Who knows, maybe in many decades from now when AFL is a littler bigger in QLD, they could invest in an actual AFL stadium that could rival Optus/MCG.

14 touches, a goal, a handful of inside 50s, 3 tackles.

He made a couple of really big mistakes. A lot of our fans are off him. What I like about him? It doesn't impact his approach to the game whatsoever. I read once about a cricketer - I have no recollection of who it was, but they talked about them having the priceless ability to forget the previous delivery. Miers has that in spades. Dangerfield makes a lot of mistakes, right? Hawkins, with his goalkicking, makes the odd mistake - those mistakes generally effect their next decision when they are faced with a similar situation. It leaves a player as elite as Dangerfield second-guessing himself (not to say it doesn't work, but there's plenty of times when he can legit kick a goal but opts out of the shot because of a previous error and lowers the eyes). Hawkins is the same. If he has a couple of misses, he starts to try playing on around the body or looking for the better option. Again, not always a bad thing.

Miers can kick one of the all-time shanks to an opponent. Next time he gets the ball, it doesn't effect his decision. He keeps presenting himself, putting himself near the ball, and doesn't shirk it. I would rather a young player who is willing to make mistakes, and makes them occasionally, than one who is afraid of making them. Parfitt has developed a similar trait too.
Thats a great point and a great asset for a player.
I thought Miers was BOG at halftime in last years prelim

Cats have that steely resolve about them this finals series and especially after the prelim win, just like the crows had in 2017.

If I see any fists clenched at their sides during the anthem, I'll spew up!

I'm more confident this week than the last 2, and I'm usually a bit of a pessimist when it comes to Tigers after all those rubbish years.

I dropped a hundy on the Tigers for premiership after the QF loss @ $5.... Ridiculous odds, but yeah I think we're 30% chance at best..

What happened the last years?

in one game geelong smashed richmond by 10 goaks.

In the other game geelong had no hawkins, duncan, rohan and was 4 goals up at half time before richmond came back with rested players who had a week off unlike geelong.

the most convincing richmond win was this year. Teams will be very different (geelong ins are probably a bit better then tiger ins) and geelong was over the top defensive that week. Cant See them playing like that again.

In the 9 grand finals geelong has been involved with since 89 Im second most confident about this one, behind only 2007. geelong should win by 5 plus goals if the game is dry. Wet weather will help richmond though.

Back