Game Day AFL 2020 Marsh Community Series 1: St Kilda v Hawthorn, Thursday 20th Feb 7:10pm AEST @ RSEA Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Not concerned about either team, both look like they’ll be bottom 10.

Bwut bwut wets c how da DeemonZ gwo coz wee no dat day dwink da barf worta - yes yes I’m well aware special kid, but this thread has nothing to do with Melbourne.
No this thread doesn't. But you asserting that you're 'not worried' about these teams infers that you're sure that your team will beat the both comfortably.

But anyway, you've broken the golden rule of judging a teams prospects based on pre-season form, which was largely indifferent from both sides, excluding some very encouraging moments, especially for St Kilda's new recruits. Both teams scored well, defended a bit poorly. Nothing for the spectators to learn really, just enjoyable to watch the canter. These games are for the players and coaches.

8fbcfd9a48ea25f2078c640e5fb705c019d1dd83

Team of champions and a champion team

It was unfortunate we didn't get to see McEvoy as the KPD. Its a role I have serious doubts over and don't see him really being suited to that role through 2020, hopefully he isn't out for long as I like him as a player. He's a very good ruckman and good relieving mark, but one on one against a leading forward? I just don't see it.

It was unfortunate we didn't get to see McEvoy as the KPD. Its a role I have serious doubts over and don't see him really being suited to that role through 2020, hopefully he isn't out for long as I like him as a player. He's a very good ruckman and good relieving mark, but one on one against a leading forward? I just don't see it.
Agree with most of this as would may Hawthorn fans, would’ve been good to see more of him back there. Having said that, I reckon he will do well in the hybrid role that is being suggested, but with not much evidence to support it.

That was a good offensive display from St Kilda. Ratten is a good coach so I think he’ll teach them a thing or two about attacking this season.

The stand-out thing was how St Kilda dominated Hawthorn’s midfield at various stages of the game. I’m sure St Kilda supporters would be pleased by that

That was a good offensive display from St Kilda. Ratten is a good coach so I think he’ll teach them a thing or two about attacking this season.

The stand-out thing was how St Kilda dominated Hawthorn’s midfield at various stages of the game. I’m sure St Kilda supporters would be pleased by that
Another thing that stood out to us as being a big positive was how much we lowered our eyes and looked for a short target on the lead inside 50, rather than our usual bomb-it-long-to-a-big-pack approach, under Richo.

Gresham's clearance work in particular was another huge positive. Played just 59% of the game, yet had a game-high 9 clearances, with most of them being getting the first touch off the ruck contest, and on the move to boot.

He looks like he might be just about ready to explode in there. If he does, we'll be cooking with some reasonable gas.

Dunstan was another to really step it up (played just 64%, yet had 24 disposals and 7 clearances) and the exciting thing is that all-things-being-equal, we get to add Hannebery and Zac Jones into that mix next week.

Jones has been training in the midfield and was BOG or near enough to it there in the intra last week, so he'll give us something different in there, with his explosiveness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing that stood out to us as being a big positive was how much we lowered our eyes and looked for a short target on the lead inside 50, rather than our usual bomb-it-long-to-a-big-pack approach, under Richo.

Gresham's clearance work in particular was another huge positive. Played just 59% of the game, yet had a game-high 9 clearances, with most of them being getting the first touch off the ruck contest, and on the move to boot.

He looks like he might be just about ready to explode in there. If he does, we'll be cooking with some reasonable gas.

Dunstan was another to really step it up (played just 64%, yet had 24 disposals and 7 clearances) and the exciting thing is that all-things-being-equal, we get to add Hannebery and Zac Jones into that mix next week.

Jones has been training in the midfield and was BOG or near enough to it there in the intra last week, so he'll give us something different in there, with his explosiveness.
That’s good to hear. It was a stark difference to the 2019 game St Kilda had against Richmond where they would bomb it to no one in particular for basically the 2nd half, meaning that Richmond kept intercepting St Kilda’s entries.

Another positive thing is the accuracy. St Kilda struggled with accuracy last year, so 17.9 is good.

That’s good to hear. It was a stark difference to the 2019 game St Kilda had against Richmond where they would bomb it to no one in particular for basically the 2nd half, meaning that Richmond kept intercepting St Kilda’s entries.

Another positive thing is the accuracy. St Kilda struggled with accuracy last year, so 17.9 is good.
Exactly. Been going with that bombing gameplan for years now. Last night was like a breath of fresh air.

And we've been bottom 2 or so for accuracy about the last 3 years, and were a clear last last season, so that too was very promising. We've kicked ourselves out of so many games in recent years.

I think it’s just another strategy option to be honest. There’s varying numbers of tall forwards at opponents clubs

Yep and you wonder why freo fans were gutted to lose him.

We gave him a 5 year $500,000 a year deal that was front loaded.

$700,000 a year in the 1st 2 years, then $500,000 a year in the 3rd. Had he stayed, he would of been on $300,000 a year this year and next year.

Saints got him on $910,000 a year for 5-6 years

Hawk fans have the most to whinge about re: Brad Hill.

Gave up a triple premiership player for pick 23 because he "wanted to go back home". Next year wins his club B&F, 2 years after that he no longer wants to be back home and returns to Melbourne, but this time as a 900k a year player. Looked very good on Thursday night, a much more well rounded player than when he was with us, but pick 33 still seems like massive unders in hindsight.

Last edited:

Gave up a triple premiership player for pick 33 because he "wanted to go back home". Next year wins his club B&F, 2 years after that he no longer wants to be back home and returns to Melbourne, but this time as a 900k a year player. Looked very good on Thursday night, a much more well rounded player than when he was with us, but pick 33 still seems like massive unders in hindsight.
What did you do with that pick 33?

Anyway, you chiseled Ty Vickery out of Tigerland for free that off season, so you can't really complain.

The AFL had to compensate us pick 29, which became Shai Bolton, so we aren't complaining either in the end.

What did you do with that pick 33?

Sorry I misspoke. It was pick 23, pick 33 is the pick # we used to get Hill in the first place. Pick 23 was part of the pick swap to get Saints' #10 pick to satisfy GC in the O'Meara trade.

Anyway, you chiseled Ty Vickery out of Tigerland for free that off season, so you can't really complain.

Chiseled is how I'd describe his mate Jake - the pushup - king's pecs. Dimma did a number on us there. After all we'd done for his career too. At least we got Trickery for free from a pick point of view.

Gave up a triple premiership player for pick 33 because he "wanted to go back home". Next year wins his club B&F, 2 years after that he no longer wants to be back home and returns to Melbourne, but this time as a 900k a year player. Looked very good on Thursday night, a much more well rounded player than when he was with us, but pick 33 still seems like massive unders in hindsight.
It was pick 23 to be exact.

Yeah he wanted to return home to play along side his brother.

However, 2-3 reasons why he left Freo and went back to victoria to join the saints.

1. He didnt think freo was going to improve anytime soon. Fair call.

2. Similar to reason 1. Also similar to what neale did and joined brisbane. He might think the saints are on the rise which is very possible as you bring in experienced guys like Ryder and Dougall howard if your going to improve.

3. Money did play a factor, but I will never, ever call him a Mercenary dog. Plugger35 has called Ross Lyon a mercenary dog many times over the years.

4. His lady is from Victoria and wanted to start a family in Victoria.
What did you do with that pick 23?

The AFL had to compensate us pick 29, which became Shai Bolton, so we aren't complaining either in the end.
Good on you to get shai bolton at pick 29 as he will be a very good player. Freo somehow got pick 23 in a miracle. we traded our 2016 2nd rounder in the Harley Bennell trade(s).

Oh and for the record, we turned piss into wine getting pick 23. Collingwood was crazy enough to give Chris Mayne a 4 year deal ad $500,000 a year. That turned out to be a pick 23 compo pick in which we gave to the hawks for brad hill.

had to edit your post. Hawks got pick 23 for Brad Hill.

That pick 23 was involved with the saints.

Actually that full trade was.....

Saints traded pick 10 and 68. Hawks traded the 2017 1st round pick, pick 23 and 36.

Hence why the saints wanted the hawks to finish bottom in 2017.

It was pick 23 to be exact.

Yeah he wanted to return home to play along side his brother.

However, 2-3 reasons why he left Freo and went back to victoria to join the saints.

1. He didnt think freo was going to improve anytime soon. Fair call.

2. Similar to reason 1. Also similar to what neale did and joined brisbane. He might think the saints are on the rise which is very possible as you bring in experienced guys like Ryder and Dougall howard if your going to improve.

3. Money did play a factor, but I will never, ever call him a Mercenary dog. Plugger35 has called Ross Lyon a mercenary dog many times over the years.

4. His lady is from Victoria and wanted to start a family in Victoria.
Good on you to get shai bolton at pick 29 as he will be a very good player. Freo somehow got pick 23 in a miracle. we traded our 2016 2nd rounder in the Harley Bennell trade(s).

Oh and for the record, we turned piss into wine getting pick 23. Collingwood was crazy enough to give Chris Mayne a 4 year deal ad $500,000 a year. That turned out to be a pick 23 compo pick in which we gave to the hawks for brad hill.

had to edit your post. Hawks got pick 23 for Brad Hill.

That pick 23 was involved with the saints.

Actually that full trade was.....

Saints traded pick 10 and 68. Hawks traded the 2017 1st round pick, pick 23 and 36.

Hence why the saints wanted the hawks to finish bottom in 2017.
TBF Mayne looked like a disaster early, but he has been great in the Pies narrow GF/PF losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back