Autopsy AFL 2020 Premiership Season Second Elimination Final - Saints v Dogs Sat October 3rd 4:40pm AEST (Gabba) Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

43762EC8-1F8F-48AE-AA3A-D26F604FC4F9.png

FINAL LADDER POSITION
6TH V 7TH

2020 TOYOTA AFL PREMIERSHIP

SECOND ELIMINATION FINAL • ST KILDA V WESTERN BULLDOGS
SATURDAY OCTOBER 3RD 4:40PM AEST (GABBA)

Last 5 games
SAINTS LLWLW
BULLDOGS WLWWW

LAST TIME THEY MET ROUND 2
ST KILDA 14.4.88
BULLDOGS 7.7.49

JOIN THE BIGFOOTY FINALS TIPPING COMPETITION!

Finals Tipping on BigFooty's own system.
Tip the AFL Finals now

Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won.

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

FINALS TEAMS

SAINTS

B: B.Paton, J.Carlisle, N.Coffield
HB: C.Wilkie, D.Howard, J.Geary
C: B.Hill, S.Ross, Z.Jones
HF: J.Billings, T.Membrey, D.Butler
F: D.Kent, M.King, R.Marshall
FOLL: P.Ryder, J.Steele, H.Clark

I/C: J.Sinclair, D.Hannebery, B.Long, J.Lonie
EMER: N.Hind, D.Roberton, J.Marsh, S.Savage

IN: Z.Jones
OUT: J.Battle (Injured)

BULLDOGS

B: E.Wood, A.Keath, C.Daniel
HB: B.Williams, R.Gardner, H.Crozier
C: B.Smith, J.Macrae, J.Johannisen
HF: E.Richards, J.Bruce, M.Wallis
F: T.Liberatore, A.Naughton, L.Hunter
FOLL: T.English, M.Bontempelli, J.Dunkley

I/C: Z.Cordy, T.Duryea, P.Lipinski, R.Smith
EMER: J.Trengove, L.Vandermeer, B.Gowers, B.Dale

No change

ST KILDA 10.7.67
BULLDOGS 9.10.64

Last edited:
Should be a cracker. Saints seem to have had the wood on us the last couple of years although it’s been pretty even mostly. I think our guys are just coming into peak form so I’ll back us in to squeak home in this one. Hopefully Naughton gets up or it’ll be tough to find the goals to do it!

Full strength I back the Dogs here, more finals hardened and quite a few players that have been there before and won.

Saints imo aren't ready yet, but will be better for the experience.

We have recruited players like Hannebery, Hill and Butler who have all been there before and won as well as a coach who has been there before and won.

Finals experience is overrated anyway, especially when these teams will be playing in front of about 10k at the Gabba and not 100k at the MCG.

It's not like they'll be overawed by the occasion.

We have recruited players like Hannebery, Hill and Butler who have all been there before and won as well as a coach who has been there before and won.

Finals experience is overrated anyway, especially when these teams will be playing in front of about 10k at the Gabba and not 100k at the MCG.

It's not like they'll be overawed by the occasion.

Not saying saints will be inexperienced in finals or anything like that but finals experience has nothing to do with the crowd. It’s the intensity and physicality of the contest that changes. Crowd is irrelevant.

Not saying saints will be inexperienced in finals or anything like that but finals experience has nothing to do with the crowd. It’s the intensity and physicality of the contest that changes. Crowd is irrelevant.

Our last couple of games against West Coast and GWS have virtually been finals with finals like intensity so I think our players will be well prepared for it.

Our last couple of games against West Coast and GWS have virtually been finals with finals like intensity so I think our players will be well prepared for it.

No offence but no games prior to finals emulate finals intensity. It’s a totally different ball game to regular season games.

Not saying either team will handle it any better than the other but crowd size, regular season games for a finals spot (classed as mini elimination finals) etc are completely irrelevant.

It will be up to who handles the pressure and intensity on the day, I think the dogs are better suited than they were last year and I think the saints are a more experienced side than many think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the upcoming games are tantalizing but this one could be the best one.

Dogs are looking good espesh when they get the ball zipping around and if their forewards fire up, watch out. I particularly fancy Mitch W, he's a ripper and as much as their marking forewards he is a marker for how well they will go. And Libba. Those 2 blokes are very key.

On the other side if saints aren't phased by a big finals game, their pressure on the ball carriers will be immense, and the dogs have been known to go to water under heat.

I reckon the Saints will do their homework and win it with hard footy and good marking and crumbing forward line.

Under Ratts we've played them twice, for a 27 point win last year, and a 39 point win this year, so you've got to think that he's got a fair idea of what it takes to stop them playing the way they want to play, and that we have the personnel to pull it off.

It all starts in the midfield and at the ruck contests, and you'd think Ryder and Marshall will be kicking their lips at the prospect of taking on English and Bruce there again.

Under Ratts we've played them twice, for a 27 point win last year, and a 39 point win this year, so you've got to think that he's got a fair idea of what it takes to stop them playing the way they want to play, and that we have the personnel to pull it off.

It all starts in the midfield and at the ruck contests, and you'd think Ryder and Marshall will be kicking their lips at the prospect of taking on English and Bruce there again.
Big difference in personnel for the dogs from last time ... and it is now a final. Those results are irrelevant

Saints have taken it on and played with unbelievable confidence the last few times they’ve played the Dogs and it’s really rattled them both times, so I’m rather surprised we’re the favourites.

If both sides turn up? Probably have to say the Dogs but we’ve been about as reliable as an ashtray on a motorbike over the last few years.

Saints do seem the safer of the two sides.

Last edited:
Two sides who on their day could beat any side in the comp, and also lose to them ( both in the same game like in 2015 from 55 points up ) kinda makes sense, but doesn't. But that's these two teams for you.

Good game. 1997 what could have been.

Well there you go.

So do you guys have a completely different game style now? And also a game style that counteracts the way that we like to play?

No difference in game style but if naughton and Wallis are fit, the following guys will be in that didn’t play last time.

Liberatore, Wood, Hunter, cordy, duryea and r smith.

Also last game against you guys looked and felt like we were flogged and 39 point margin says we were flogged but at the same time it was 18 scoring shots to 14. So for how bad we played and how much you stopped our game style a more reflective margin would have been around 4 goals. Whereas in 2019 the margin should have been closer to 10 goals based on scoring shots.

Well there you go.

So do you guys have a completely different game style now? And also a game style that counteracts the way that we like to play?
Round 1+2 we played like we didn't even want to be there, very disappointing. Cannot even compare those two games to our other games in the season except one.

Ryder and Marshall will have the advantage over English, however Bont, McRae, Libba and Hunter will be trying thier best to shark their hitouts.

Going to be a very interesting game

And Smith. English is another midfielder

Dogs have a clear midfield advantage. Hunter, Libba, Wood, Cordy, Duryea didn't play last time. Jones for your mob, but you had Gresham.

Should be interesting, but the dogs will be a different outfit so past games won't mean much

Genuine 50/50 game

For some reason I thought it was the Dogs who won this year, which factored into my tip of the Dogs. But if the Saints won then I think I'll favour them. But it's a hard one to pick, depends on who's better on the day obviously.

Back