Autopsy AFL 2020 Premiership Season Second Qualifying Final - Lions v Tigers Fri October 2nd 7:50pm AEST (Gabba) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 50 23.7%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 69 32.7%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
As usual, punters running around with a thought, a characterisation that has taken hold that may be flat wrong.

In recent games between these 2 teams results have flattered rfc, and while they appeared to win well, lions need only to make adjustments and fine tune some things to turn the tables. This game is not the foregone conclusion many are saying. Lions have no trouble getting the ball and scoring against rfc and if they can be more assured and less anxious they will make it tough. Don't be duped by the uncritical media who as a herd just run from one assumption to another.
Ok, we'll run with your assumptions then shall we?

The Lions style finds the Tigers style a problem. If the Tigers can keep up the pressure they will win. If the Lions can get that ball movement going and get good inside 50s they are a huge chance.

Interesting game. But recent games indicate that if the Tigers apply their pressure well, they will stop the Lions ball movement and good forward thrusts = Lions lose.

Hope the Lions have worked out how to do better, cause they are a great team.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
The Lions style finds the Tigers style a problem. If the Tigers can keep up the pressure they will win. If the Lions can get that ball movement going and get good inside 50s they are a huge chance.

Interesting game. But recent games indicate that if the Tigers apply their pressure well, they will stop the Lions ball movement and good forward thrusts = Lions lose.

Hope the Lions have worked out how, cause they are a great team.
Why would you hope the lions have worked out how to play against Richmond as a Tigers supporter?

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting that many people believe the reason why the Lions have kicked so many points against Richmond is poor execution. This is not correct (well not completely correct). The biggest reason is that the Tigers have shut down the corridor to Brisbane forcing them to enter their F50 wide. This makes kicking for goal much more difficult.

Last game, Fagan attempted to move around this strategy but having his players switch the ball more regularly and use short kicks. It worked initially, but then we shut that down.

If the Lions are prepared to take us on through the middle and risk turnovers, they can beat us. If they try and play conservative football or overdo the risky play, we'll slaughter them.
SPOT. ON. Secret to beating the lions is to pressure the ball carrier, block the corridor and force them wide - they're not going to kick many goals from tight on the boundary or cheap/shallow inside 50 entries

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
As usual, punters running around with a thought, a characterisation that has taken hold that may be flat wrong.

In recent games between these 2 teams results have flattered rfc, and while they appeared to win well, lions need only to make adjustments and fine tune some things to turn the tables. This game is not the foregone conclusion many are saying. Lions have no trouble getting the ball and scoring against rfc and if they can be more assured and less anxious they will make it tough. Don't be duped by the uncritical media who as a herd just run from one assumption to another.
You are on the money here and not wrong
Tigers cant be over confident like some supporters here otherwise we will lose.
the last few games were closer than the scoreboard suggested. They didnt convert a lot of opportunities and therefore didnt get scoreboard pressure.

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond

From what I can tell is that your thought is the actual herd mentality media consensus ie that Brisbane are doing everything right except kick straight. Anyone who is thinking this are just looking at the stats but did not actually watch the last tigers / brissy game. Brisbane played completely into Richmonds hands and were completely outplayed. Just watch the first quarter for a good example of game styles and why Brisbane need to change radically to beat Richmond. Every inside 50 the lions had was under pressure and either shallow or into the pocket. Virtually every richmond inside 50 was in the corridor directed to the top of the goal square.

You are on the money here and not wrong
Tigers cant be over confident like some supporters here otherwise we will lose.
the last few games were closer than the scoreboard suggested. They didnt convert a lot of opportunities and therefore didnt get scoreboard pressure.

Richmond will have learnt alot of things too from that game.

Will not be resting on their laurels.

Why would you hope the lions have worked out how to play against Richmond as a Tigers supporter?

So they get closer before we beat them and go on to win another premiership.

Right now, if they do the same thing again as the last few times, they will get smacked. I try to be nice here. And I'd like the Lions to get better. Not that much better,, but still better.

So they get closer before we beat them and go on to win another premiership.

Right now, if they do the same thing again as the last few times, they will get smacked. I try to be nice here. And I'd like the Lions to get better. Not that much better,, but still better.

Park 27k in our forward line?

MattyJayJ

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I like the Lions and I’ve been impressed by their ability to keep getting the job done this year, but it’s hard to see the Tigers dropping this one. They’ve once again timed their run beautifully and are primed to go all the way as the most professional outfit at the pointy end of the season. It’s going to require a colossal 4 quarter effort from any team to take them down.

Apparently Mitch Robinson was in the stall next to him on each occasion.

Mitch does come out occasionally to beg the coaches to play him as a deep forward so he can keep as far away from Lunch as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Should be a great contest lions been great last 2 years. Alot off focus on lions saying since rd 10 last meeting they would have learned alot etc and had a few personal out of side to may be the case , but tigers have have gone up a gear since then and playing alot better added to that key personal returning they would have learned about lions to.

Robinson seems to backtracking his comments now and Fagan last 2 outings been a bit of a sore loser we kicked so many behinds like mentioned
reason for that and we led all the stats etc etc.

Last edited:

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Mitch Robbo backpedaling on his Tom Lynch is a w***er comments from a few weeks back.

Bit soft imo, just own it - comes across as scared now.
Nah, c'mon. I've been following his streams for a long time now. Mitch just says random s**t on stream for the fun of it. He would say one thing then completely go against it when someone asks him the same question a week later. As for Lynch, I seriously doubt he gives a single stuff about what anyone thinks about him. They'll end up shaking hands at the end of the game and thatll be the end of this madness.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes I think this QF will really show the difference between the 2 teams. 1 spot on the ladder but a different class as teams. Even If Andrews plays he'll be off a bit, not to mention big Tommy Lynch toweled him up last time anyway. Hipwood chokes on a tiny bit of pressure and Motorbike Charlie is half the player he was last year when getting lessons from Grimes. Going to be a real letdown for all these lions fans insisting they've had no advantage this year. Very much looking forward to it I must admit. Will knock many down a notch or 10.

I don't see the Tigers losing a single game this finals campaign. My only hope is that we don't lose to either Saints/Dogs and that we go into the PF having a real crack.

Both teams are on opposite ends of the "Premiership window". Richmond have another year or two and we're just beginning (Think Saints/Cats circa 2004 vs Lions/Port 2004). We're more primed than last year, despite the fact that Richmond are also just as strong (If not better).

Not sure why a lot of Tigers supporters have it in for us though, considering during their 30 year absence they would have copped it the most from the other "Big 4" and they've had the wood on us for 11 years now. They love to bash us even more than Pies fans do and they actually have bad memories of us lol.

I would say streaks are meant to be broken but hey, I'm still waiting for Everton to beat Liverpool at some point and I'd say that could go on for another 10 years easily.

Tigers by 24.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
The Lions tend to jump out of the blocks against us but then we wear them down. Brisbane are still a young team that like to play at a frenetic pace. This has fallen into our hands in the past with abundant turnovers. If Brisbane's forwardline can make us accountable then they have a good chance, if they don't, we win well.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Interesting that many people believe the reason why the Lions have kicked so many points against Richmond is poor execution. This is not correct (well not completely correct). The biggest reason is that the Tigers have shut down the corridor to Brisbane forcing them to enter their F50 wide. This makes kicking for goal much more difficult.

Last game, Fagan attempted to move around this strategy but having his players switch the ball more regularly and use short kicks. It worked initially, but then we shut that down.

If the Lions are prepared to take us on through the middle and risk turnovers, they can beat us. If they try and play conservative football or overdo the risky play, we'll slaughter them.
Yes I agree with your view on this.

Round 10, 2020
63EBC537-1621-4830-8357-051729E9B417.png

2019 Qualifying final:
04A1AACB-4200-4CE5-8AD6-0799B4B21AE1.png

While Brisbane have been unlucky in front of goal, I don’t think it is completely random level unlucky. The above shows that Brisbane do not get as many easy shots at goal compared to Richmond. That’s a big reason why we win and they lose. We tend to penetrate into their defence deeper than what we allow them to do and that’s what leads them to a comfortable loss. Easier said than done, but if they want to win this game then they would need to defend better and need better entries inside 50 as they don’t have the skill level going for goal that a team like West Coast has (where they kick goals from almost anywhere).

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't see the Tigers losing a single game this finals campaign. My only hope is that we don't lose to either Saints/Dogs and that we go into the PF having a real crack.

Both teams are on opposite ends of the "Premiership window". Richmond have another year or two and we're just beginning (Think Saints/Cats circa 2004 vs Lions/Port 2004). We're more primed than last year, despite the fact that Richmond are also just as strong (If not better).

Not sure why a lot of Tigers supporters have it in for us though, considering during their 30 year absence they would have copped it the most from the other "Big 4" and they've had the wood on us for 11 years now. They love to bash us even more than Pies fans do and they actually have bad memories of us lol.

I would say streaks are meant to be broken but hey, I'm still waiting for Everton to beat Liverpool at some point and I'd say that could go on for another 10 years easily.

Tigers by 24.
We give it out to all teams. Brissy ain’t special in that regard.

Not sure why a lot of Tigers supporters have it in for us though,

We don't, just a little light banter to build up to the match.

Would you prefer we didn't think you were worth the effort?

Back