Autopsy AFL 2020 ROUND 10 - Bombers v Giants Fri August 7th 7:50pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I could take a still photo and get 1000 free kicks a game.
I posted the pic to show there was actual high contact. It is beyond dispute. You can also look at the youtube clip I posted. The real argument is whether a player should be rewarded with a free kick for contributing to their own high contact. But as the umpires and commentators have told us repeatedly about the 10,000 free kicks which Joel Selwood has milked in his career, the answer to that is YES.

I would like to see umpires be more discerning about the high contact frees they pay, but at least they're consistent in the way they make it an "automatic free". i.e. see high contact, blow whistle...

It's a bit tragic that Bombers fans wanna bleat about this free. Umpires will pay it 999 times out of 1000

Ward will cop his due for the dive..
How many times did you clap when Lloydy kicked another goal and laugh at the irate opposition fans who booed him for diving?
Good teams don’t lose 29 point leads at 3/4 time.
True. It's easier for one-eyed fans to blame the umps than admit the failings of their own team. So kudos to you for that.

I thought Essendon might hang on for a minute or two before Ward's kick. The depleted Bombers were out of petrol tickets. The Giants were doing all the attacking and had plenty of chances to go ahead, but they were making heavy weather of it and appeared to have blown it.

Last edited:
At least Ward can acknowledge unlike the 2-3 global Giants supporters on here..

“Looking back on it, it's probably disappointing to watch.“
That quote isn't in the article you linked to. Perhaps he was misquoted and it was removed.

Acknowledge what exactly? "Disappointing to watch"... Ward is a tough & courageous on-baller who never played for frees, so my guess is that he felt sheepish about exaggerating the contact. But that's not to say the free kick wasn't there.

The article says: Ward said he would've liked his time again with the reaction he made to contact

Nobody is denying Ward hammed it up with the theatrical tumble. However, a player making it obvious to the umpire that he's been infringed is different from straight-out flopping or diving when there was no actual infringement. This nuance seems lost on many people when they argue about free kick stagers.

Ward also says this:

"In the heat of the moment I was going the ball at a pretty quick pace, I felt contact to my head.
I don't know whether I played it up a bit, probably just made sure I got the free kick."
Yep. There it is in black and white. But it doesn't stop the losing fans from reading whatever they want into that article and twisting his Callan Ward's words.

It cracks me up the way everyone defended Tom Papley a couple of weeks ago and persecuted Clarkson for saying "He's an expert at milking free kicks and he did it again today". No sympathies for Hawthorn for losing the free kick count 13-22 and losing a game by a goal after conceding a dodgy double goal which swung the momentum of the match. Everyone cheered and hung shiit on us. They danced on our graves and laughed. Literally.

Fast forward a couple of weeks... Everyone is now condemning Papley to taking a dive vs Collingwood... They're doing the same with Callan Ward and playing up the "Essendon was robbed" sentiments.

Typical media... always sucking up to their Big Four readership. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That quote isn't in the article you linked to. Perhaps he was misquoted and it was removed.

Acknowledge what exactly? "Disappointing to watch"... Ward is a tough & courageous on-baller who never played for frees, so my guess is that he felt sheepish about exaggerating the contact. But that's not to say the free kick wasn't there.

The article says: Ward said he would've liked his time again with the reaction he made to contact

Nobody is denying Ward hammed it up with the theatrical tumble. However, a player making it obvious to the umpire that he's been infringed is different from straight-out flopping or diving when there was no actual infringement. This nuance seems lost on many people when they argue about free kick stagers.
What do you say about Shaw's high against Townsend in front of goal that wasn't called?

What do you say about Shaw's high against Townsend in front of goal that wasn't called?
I think my exact thought processes were...

"NOOOO! Don't you dare umpire!!!! Hang on... No free kick... Phew! We dodged a bullet there..." :D

Some frees are paid. Some are missed. That happens.

I didn't see the first half, but I'm sure the Bombers got a few dodgy ones as well.

Ok whatever that means. The AFL cannot justify the Ward free when that wasn't paid. Both should have been play on.
Here you go.

Fill this out and send it to gillmclachlan@afl.com.au

customer-complaint-form-D1275.png

He also says this

In the heat of the moment I was going the ball at a pretty quick pace, I felt contact to my head," he said.

"I don't know whether I played it up a bit, probably just made sure I got the free kick.

No one is saying he didn’t exaggerate it at all.

What i and others have been saying is there was contact to the head.
That there are at least half a dozen emphasised hits to try and get frees a game by every club.
The reaction from some fans towards it him is cowardly and pathetic.

That’s all.
But the contact was no intention whatsoever, McKernan’s arms were reaching down to get the ball, Ward then threw his head against his arms..if you can’t see that..fair enough. You most likely would have won anyway but it was not a moment he’d like to remember

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget the free kick! The real injustice is that Corey's brother has been allowed to have a career in the AFL for over 10 years.
I've seen division 4 country footballers with more talent than that f*uckwit.
He's kicked 2 goals 6 since round 2 and he's our focal point up forward.

Essendon will be in Adelaide's position in two years.

interesting....

it seems posters are free to endorse death threats and abuse of player's families, but call them out on it and your post will be deleted. while the endorsment of abuse remains.

ok. seems fair.

Back