Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 11 - Dockers v Hawks Mon August 10th 8:40pm AEST (Optus) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Dockers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Dockers by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Dockers by a lot

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Alastair Clarkson's only Kryptonite was some resilient drywall, but now I see I was wrong, it's just a bunch of midfielders who have played less than 150 games between them!

Match winner Wingard clearly saving himself for next week's meaningless H&A game vs WC again.
Should be playing midfield with Breust up there not permanent forward. Got into the game when he got moved their in the last but it was too late and that's on the coach. Making too many stubborn decisions regularly now Clarko.

Good win Fremantle, enjoy being above us on the ladder while it lasts.
I will take the win. I just don't want Freo to finish with the wooden spoon.
Serong's modelling his looks after Mark LeCras it seems.
LeCras is either an assistant coach or forwards coach. Seems like he was had some influence on some of the kids and short mids. Crowden, Schultz and serong have been decent in the last 2-4 weeks. LeCras should take some credit.
Freo should be winning by more than we did. Hawthorn are putrid. Bunch of overrated battlers and soft footballers.
Freo are not fielding their best 22. No Alex Pearce, hamling, Logue. Thats 3 tall defenders out. No Hogan, McCarthy and Walters. So that's 3 decent forwards out.
Umpires won it for Freo
yep..... Pity they didn't help us in the 2013 grand final.
Overall, that was a pretty poor standard of football from both sides really.
tonight's game was poor.

But the Freo vs cats game recently was an abomination.

Freo were an abomination in that game. The weather was an abomination too.
Yep, Fyfe walking off with his best mate MArgetts there after the siren. Probs inviting him to a Christening or something.
nah...... Fyfe is negotiating trying to get Brownlow medal votes for this game tonight lol

Should be playing midfield with Breust up there not permanent forward. Got into the game when he got moved their in the last but it was too late and that's on the coach. Making too many stubborn decisions regularly now Clarko.

Wingard is a poor full time midfielder, IMO. Sort of bloke who will give you the odd 30 and 2 game but is better suited to being a 15-20 disposal, 2-3 goal HF who plays some time in the middle. As a permanent midfielder his output tends to drop off.

If you play Wingard on the ball more, what happens to Mitchell, Shiels, O'Meara and Worpel. They are pretty one dimensional players, so if they aren't in the middle they don't add much. You can play Wingard or Breust forward and they might kick 6. The others are barely a goal every second game players.

Wingard is a poor full time midfielder, IMO. Sort of bloke who will give you the odd 30 and 2 game but is better suited to being a 15-20 disposal, 2-3 goal HF who plays some time in the middle. As a permanent midfielder his output tends to drop off.

If you play Wingard on the ball more, what happens to Mitchell, Shiels, O'Meara and Worpel. They are pretty one dimensional players, so if they aren't in the middle they don't add much. You can play Wingard or Breust forward and they might kick 6. The others are barely a goal every second game players.
70-30 split midfield-forward is what he should be doing. Round 1 this year was the perfect example of the sort of thing we should be getting if we do it properly. 3 goals 20 disposals. We need to be dropping 1 of those mids you mentioned out of the team altogether and it should be Shiels unfortunately. Has dropped off a cliff in terms of output. Way too vanilla to match it with any decent midfield. You need some creativity in there and speed and Chad is the only one who provides that. Its time to blood Finn Mcguiness who has the attributes we need moving forward. It's cue in the rack time now and I hope Clarko understands this.

Also Dursma, Butters and those draft picks are better
It has been a good last 4-5 years draft and trade hauls.
but ultimately worth nothing nil zilch nada unless we win it all.

Commiserations Hawks people. I don't know much about your current squad and what it does or doesn't need, but I do know I'm not used to seeing the Hawks play like that. But, you've got a good club and plenty of people there who know how to win, so you shouldn't be down for too long I think.

Good to see Freo get another win, we're still a squad/coach/club who are finding their way and I'm hoping we build something good in the long term

Clarko playing a negating game not to lose instead of to win.

Looked like Ross Lyon circa 2016-19.
Looking back at it...... I am still bitter about that 2016 season: 0-10 and that 4-18 record. Had Freo won 6-8 games that season and didn't go 0-10, I wouldn't be bitter, just disappointed. If you are 0-5 after 5 rounds, it then starts to damage the club mentally.

That round 5 loss to Carlton in Perth destroyed our confidence and our will to win.

I look at that current crows team that are 0-10 now. Could of easily of won 2-3 games now and be 3-7 or 2-8. Could of beaten the Swans in round 1. Could of beaten Freo in round 5, could of beaten the saints and Essendon in Adelaide too.

Crows are mentally shot.

I didn't think freo were that bad in those 2017-19 seasons. Always got at least 4 wins by round 10 or got a 4-6 record.

70-30 split midfield-forward is what he should be doing. Round 1 this year was the perfect example of the sort of thing we should be getting if we do it properly. 3 goals 20 disposals. We need to be dropping 1 of those mids you mentioned out of the team altogether and it should be Shiels unfortunately. Has dropped off a cliff in terms of output. Way too vanilla to match it with any decent midfield. You need some creativity in there and speed and Chad is the only one who provides that. Its time to blood Finn Mcguiness who has the attributes we need moving forward. It's cue in the rack time now and I hope Clarko understands this.

Fair enough, good objective view of things. Josh Kennedy was allowed to leave because he was competing with just Mitchell, Lewis and Sewell. Then Tom Mitchell went the other way 8-9 years later. Can only fit in so many inside mids without pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just hope he’s not getting comfortable thinking there’s a guaranteed spot there for him long term.
Statistical food for thought. (And probably mirrors the team maybe but your best players need to produce when it’s tough)
3 of his top 4 possession games this year? In first 4 games.
Top 4 games in terms of kicks? Again, first 4 games.
Top 4 in terms of marks? You guessed in, first 4.
Top 3 in terms of goals? Yet again.

O'Meara 8 turnovers from 17 touches.

Should be a top 5 player in the game based on what we all saw at the time he got taken by GC in mini draft.
What's going on with him? Feel like he has been very average for a long time now.
Flogged by injuries his entire career. Sadly will never reach his potential.

O'Meara 8 turnovers from 17 touches.

Should be a top 5 player in the game based on what we all saw at the time he got taken by GC in mini draft.
What's going on with him? Feel like he has been very average for a long time now.
There’s too many bull types midfielders these days. In order to stand out he has to have other qualities. He just slowed down over time and injuries too.

O'Meara didn't play at all for two years then played a handful of games in the year after that. He's been good since then, but not game breaking.
Has been asked to play inside and do the heavy lifting since he has been at the club. Last year in particular without Mitchell there he took a battering for the team. Need him to be receiving the ball on the outside of the pack not getting it and hacking it forward in a mass of players every week which is why he his efficiency by foot is terrible ATM. Everything is rushed. Would love for us to just take him away from the heat and utilise him like we did last week more often. Played across half forward more and had a big impact creating chances and a bit of chaos. Some of these guys can actually play dual positions it's just that we have such horrible depth in the middle they have to spend the majority of the time there.

Has been asked to play inside and do the heavy lifting since he has been at the club. Last year in particular without Mitchell there he took a battering for the team. Need him to be receiving the ball on the outside of the pack not getting it and hacking it forward in a mass of players every week which is why he his efficiency by foot is terrible ATM. Everything is rushed. Would love for us to just take him away from the heat and utilise him like we did last week more often. Played across half forward more and had a big impact creating chances and a bit of chaos. Some of these guys can actually play dual positions it's just that we have such horrible depth in the middle they have to spend the majority of the time there.

He is an inside mid, though. Even at GC as a 19/20 year old he was a clearance winning, hard tackling, contested ball player. Doesn't have explosive pace or a long kick and isn't likely to develop them now. Last year he had Worpel as the #1 clearance winner and the year before he had Mtichell getting 97 possessions a game. Agree he could use a break.

Back