Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 12 - Cats v Port Fri August 14th 7:50pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a clear free, what's wrong with you?
If you mean the last 50 it was wrong, the umpire told Parfitt to get out of the area.
Parfitt was backpedaling away from the line of the mark and the umpire then called
the fifty. The first 50 when Lycett marked he went 3 metres to his right. before Duncan
moved in. I know you have to play to the whistle which was Duncan’s mistake but the
umpire stuffed up by not calling play on.

Danger and Hawk were brilliant tonight and the Cats are playing some great footy right now. Disappointing as we were, Geelong enforced that and their pressure was the best I seen this year.

Besides that loss to the Eagles which they didn’t put them away they have gotten better each week. It’s not sides having a bad night, it is their ability to suffocate teams and play the game in their terms.

p.s
All the Crows *******s having a dig at Charlie and Ports, he has had a huge year but tonight was not his night. I understand he is no Camp Tex but at least he isn’t a cocky campaigner and buy a spare seat next to him for the 2017 Premiership Cup.

Nah. I don't care if Geelong win. I prefer them to Port, Richmond and Collingwood

I just hate the removal of the hands in the back rule. I knew this would happen. I called it back when the AFL first mooted rolling it back. Players will start cheating again with shove outs and the umps won't penalise them.

Hands in the back was a good rule. Black and white. No more pushouts. It actually saved the high mark from extinction because forwards stopped standing in behind their opponent (like Hawk tonight). They started flying for marks once again.

It's a pathetic roll back of the rules. Inevitable that the big power forwards would start playing like they did in the early 2000's. You watch 'em all copy Hawkins after tonight. Not just the big fellas. All players will follow suit. And then we'll need to go through the whole "hands in the back" debate once again to save the high mark.

Last edited:
Danger and Hawk were brilliant tonight and the Cats are playing some great footy right now. Disappointing as we were, Geelong enforced that and their pressure was the best I seen this year.

Besides that loss to the Eagles which they didn’t put them away they have gotten better each week. It’s not sides having a bad night, it is their ability to suffocate teams and play the game in their terms.

p.s
All the Crows *******s having a dig at Charlie and Ports, he has had a huge year but tonight was not his night. I understand he is no Camp Tex but at least he isn’t a cocky campaigner and buy a spare seat next to him for the 2017 Premiership Cup.
crows have forfeited the right to chip anyone. they are fooked.

Nah. I don't care if Geelong win. I prefer them to Port, Richmond and Collingwood

I just hate the removal of the hands in the back rule. I knew this would happen. I called it back when the AFL first mooted rolling it back. Players will start cheating again with shove outs and the umps won't penalise them.

Hands in the back was a good rule. Black and white. No more pushouts. It actually saved the high mark from extinction because forwards stopped standing in behind their opponent (like Hawk tonight). They started flying for marks once again.

It's a pathetic roll back of the rules. Inevitable that the big power forwards would start playing like they did in the early 2000's. You watch 'em all copy Hawkins after tonight. Not just the big fellas. All players will follow suit. And then we'll need to go through the whole "hands in the back" debate once again to restore normality.

I actually agree, the rule made it black and white, whereas now it's yet another judgement called placed onto the umpire.

But the rules was changed years ago. Forwards have been, again, doing it for years. Including Hawthorn players.

I think you'll find most of Hawkins' marks tonight were holding his ground, shifting his opponent off balance with shoves to the chest and side, as much as the back.

Who is going West?
All Vic clubs are disadvantaged as they have to play on a neutral ground in Qld. Eagles have had the luxury of a few home games. It would have been good to see the reigning premier play us on our home turf. Considering you get to play the grand final on your home ground every year if you make it , surely the Afl could have sent you over for the inconvenience of a home/away game.
The Afl saved you from going west for one of the hardest road trips and gives you longer breaks against the other top 4 teams
We will have to play you 3 days after we get off a plane. If they really wanted a level playing field when fixturing 2 top sides like Westcoast and Richmond they could've at least made them play the week after.
But the Afl is not and never will be a level playing field. A proof of that is certain teams not based on merit will always get to play the GF at home (except this year maybe).

I think you'll find most of Hawkins' marks tonight were holding his ground, shifting his opponent off balance with shoves to the chest and side, as much as the back.
No issues with him tonight.

Ball came in too easily.

Only a handful of bizarre htb and non htb decisions but that's 2020. Umpiring was by recent standards good.

All Vic clubs are disadvantaged as they have to play on a neutral ground in Qld. Eagles have had the luxury of a few home games. It would have been good to see the reigning premier play us on our home turf. Considering you get to play the grand final on your home ground every year if you make it , surely the Afl could have sent you over for the inconvenience of a home/away game.
The Afl saved you from going west for one of the hardest road trips and gives you longer breaks against the other top 4 teams
We will have to play you 3 days after we get off a plane. If they really wanted a level playing field when fixturing 2 top sides like Westcoast and Richmond they could've at least made them play the week after.
But the Afl is not and never will be a level playing field if certain teams not based on merit will always get to play the GF at home.
We played port away off a 4 day break. We’ve been away from home for the majority of the season. We were originally scheduled to play you in Queensland and now you whinge we are playing on a neutral ground rather than your home now you are back on the road?
You can’t make this s**t up.

Hawkins as always, standing behind Jonas as the long kick came in
Just pushing him in the back and under the ball

It's unbelievable. Someone needs to send the umpires a copy of the rule book
Removal of "Hands in the back" interpretation doesn't mean "push in the back" no longer applies.
I’ve read your comments with glee this evening. If both coaches agree with your adjudication I’d expect Hawk to get no coaches votes yet we both know he’s guaranteed 10. BOG by a country mile and his marking was first rate and a lesson for any youngsters out there in terms of positioning your body in the marking contest. But you keep throwing your little tantrum.

We played port away off a 4 day break. We’ve been away from home for the majority of the season. We were originally scheduled to play you in Queensland and now you whinge we are playing on a neutral ground rather than your home now you are back on the road?
You can’t make this sh*t up.
Not to mention who will you play in your last game? Good opportunity to rest some players perhaps?

200617_presser_Scott-thumb-.jpg

David-Brent-Rob-Locke.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve read your comments with glee this evening. If both coaches agree with your adjudication I’d expect Hawk to get no coaches votes yet we both know he’s guaranteed 10. BOG by a country mile and his marking was first rate and a lesson for any youngsters out there in terms of positioning your body in the marking contest. But you keep throwing your little tantrum.
What tantrum? Hawkins was easily BOG, no arguments or tears from me. And I agree with you... under the current umpiring, it was a lesson in how to position yourself in a marking contest: stand behind your opponent and push them out of the contest as the ball comes in. (Which basically goes against every principle that junior coaches teach young kids. i.e. play in front and the umpire will reward you if you're infringed.)

It's a pathetic roll back of the rules. Inevitable that the big power forwards would start playing like they did in the early 2000's. You watch 'em all copy Hawkins after tonight. Not just the big fellas. All players will follow suit. And then we'll need to go through the whole "hands in the back" debate once again to save the high mark.

Umpiring is what it is, my frustration is watching last nights game where Rampe gives away the free for GWS first goal and the first two minutes in tonight’s game it is exactly the same and no free paid. The u pores have been useless this year on the 15m kick, HTB, arm chopping etc it is a lucky dip. Geelong deserved to win by 15 goal tonight and the umpires had no influence at all.

The fans want consistency, not a lucky dip.

The Richmond game and St Kilda games I was filthy on the umpiring, it kept Richmond within 5 goals.

Tonight Geelong were just too good. Hard to say about the Richmond and St Kilda umpiring that influenced our games.

The rules in place now have been around since the 80's. using your hands to hold your ground is something Dunstall, Ablett Snr, Lockett and all the greatest goal kickers the game has seen, have used. It's nothing new. Not once tonight did Hawkins push anyone in the back.

What tantrum? Hawkins was easily BOG, no arguments or tears from me. And I agree with you... under the current umpiring, it was a lesson in how to position yourself in a marking contest: stand behind your opponent and push them out of the contest as the ball comes in. (Which basically goes against every principle that junior coaches teach young kids. i.e. play in front and the umpire will reward you if you're infringed.)
Which of his marks were an infringement this evening? Name them.

Carrying Joel Selwood a little, Cameron Guthrie has been huge not sure getting Ablett back is that big a deal.
Really? Ablett walks into any side.

Still think that was his absolute best quarter of football.
Hawkins? His best quarter of footy was against Melbourne a few years ago.

Still have Esava, Steven, Ablett, possibly Cockatoo, Jordan Clark and possibly Constable and Close to come back in. Very well managed, and just need to keep up the same game style moving forward
And Dahlhaus, Narkle, Fort and Close for depth

Back