Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 12 - Dockers v Blues Sat August 15th 8:10pm AEST (Optus) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't it amazing reading all these comments with people baffled at a player giving up a free kick after leaving the ground and smashing into a player after he kicked it?

He chose to do that and risked the consequences. It's no different to the other downfields against Carlton players where they chose to chase hard and ended up out of control pushing players in the back.
Oh FFS. Let it go, the two umpiring blunders cost Freo the game. You got one here, take the 4 points and move on but don't defend what every supporter can see was an absolute joke of officiating.

JLO also has to bare some responsibility for the loss. Took an eternity to get Fyfe back into the midfield when Carlton got some momentum, and then took him off for a rest right when we were pressing again in the last quarter. Given his dominance around the ball a few big efforts in the last quarter could have ended the game.

Still far too defensive, and predictable going forward. Their loose player absorbs plenty of attacking plays, but their ball movement is really stagnant. Far too many passengers in their front half.

They were always going to improve as Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong got games under their belt, but I’m seeing little difference in their system from when RTB was coaching. I think they actually would have won tonight with him at the helm.

As far as the Umpiring is concerned.

I'm pretty sure that is has been said by many on this site over the years, myself included, that Umpiring in the AFL needs to be a full time professional job, and unless I have this wrong it has been argued for over a decade now.
This is less about what happened tonite and more about giving players and fans et al a feeling at least that the training of the umps is organised well and up to a certain standard across the board.

This would go a long way to helping the issue. National professional sport officiated by semi professional umpires who are heavily protected against critism. For all the big money deals and expanding the game, the semi pro umpires is perhaps the most bizarre non decision by the AFL in the last 10 years.

Make them pro and hold them to high standards.

Aren’t Saints supporters the worst in the AFL.
No, he's saying that this is payback from a game he went to 15 years ago.

Obviously. I mean, why didn't I see that when the ump blew his whistle.

"oooh, that Longmuir kick after the siren has come back to haunt us. I've been dreading this day would come - kids, get to the fallout shelter, if I was right about that, what else..."

How I can describe this game - Terrible game. Terrible teams (but not as terrible as Adelaide). Terrible umpiring. Crazy finish.

And the goal of the year may be on a set shot.

Freo supporters melting about a terrible free kick that led to Newnes goal.

Their coach's winning goal back in 2005 was after about 10 terrible free kicks.

Whispers in the Sky.

I was there at that game and the umpires carried Freo to a win.

Boomerang effect.

Oh look another Anti freo supporter who is also a Saints fan.

As I said, Blues fought a tiny bit harder than freo, hence the scoreline.

9 years on, your hatred towards freo still exists. Only because we poached Zac Dawson and Ross Lyon off your team. LOL.

Serously, let this stuff go. You should of moved on from Ross Lyon and Zac Dawson. I have along with most if not all of the freo fans have. :thumbsu:

Oh FFS. Let it go, the two umpiring blunders cost Freo the game. You got one here, take the 4 points and move it but don't defend what every supporter can see was an absolute joke of officiating.
I've made a couple of posts. I don't really care. It's all funny to me. Stop telling me how to post.

Umpiring was shithouse both ways at different points of the game. They got two garbage frees in front of goal early. Blues got a controversial one late. Only difference is the point of the game they happened at.

Freo supporters melting about a terrible free kick that led to Newnes goal.

Their coach's winning goal back in 2005 was after about 10 terrible free kicks.

Whispers in the Sky.

I was there at that game and the umpires carried Freo to a win.

Boomerang effect.

Turning a Freo v Blues game about St Kilda. Worse part is your reference is from 15 years ago. My dear we have hit a new low.

When they take the word “down field“ out, it becomes extremely contentious. So when the free kick was awarded, the ball was only a few meters off his boot given he makes contact (that the Ump deems illegal) a split second after it leaves his boot. Using the language above, that is “where the football is at the time” when the free is awarded. It travels another 40 meters down the field after he blows the whistle. There is actually no language that indicates down field in the rule book. It purely talks about “where it is awarded” or “where the football is at the time” it is awarded.

Agree. The current wording of the rule is unintelligible. I think the best interpretation is that the free kick is where the ball lands. But if the ball is kicked OOB on the full, the ball was never in bounds and never landed. Accordingly the free kick should be from where it was initially kicked.

So this decision is the straw that broke the camel's back in your opinion. So it's not so much that this decision needs to be scrutinised but you think the footy experts in the media should really start to turn the heat on the umpiring set up.
Yes. This should be the moment it becomes undeniable. This should put the state of officiating our game on the agenda.

I doubt it will be. Umpires are protected species, commentators and media personalities are s**t scared to cross the line.

I've often wondered what that's called. I'm not surprised I didn't know - It's a sciencey thing.

I'm glad you clarified not only that but also that one of the most ridiculous free kicks ever paying in football went in my favour.

Could have sworn I went for the Dockers, but I guess you learn something every day.

Go Blues. We won!!!

Two goals from free kicks went your way. You win the "goals from free kicks" tally 2-1.

At least you had a win right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When they take the word “down field“ out, it becomes extremely contentious. So when the free kick was awarded, the ball was only a few meters off his boot given he makes contact (that the Ump deems illegal) a split second after it leaves his boot. Using the language above, that is “where the football is at the time” when the free is awarded. It travels another 40 meters down the field after he blows the whistle. There is actually no language that indicates down field in the rule book. It purely talks about “where it is awarded” or “where the football is at the time” it is awarded.

You're missing the part of the rule that says the Free is awarded 'either where the infringement happened, or where it crossed the boundary line, whichever is the greater penalty'

JLO also has to bare some responsibility for the loss. Took an eternity to get Fyfe back into the midfield when Carlton got some momentum, and then took him off for a rest right when we were pressing again in the last quarter. Given his dominance around the ball a few big efforts in the last quarter could have ended the game.

Still far too defensive, and predictable going forward. Their loose player absorbs plenty of attacking plays, but their ball movement is really stagnant. Far too many passengers in their front half.

They were always going to improve as Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong got games under their belt, but I’m seeing little difference in their system from when RTB was coaching. I think they actually would have won tonight with him at the helm.

Should have put Fyfe and Walters in the middle at the same time. Put Tabener deep and maybe Mundy in there as a second option. Could have even thrown Frederick up in the middle.. I know he's only played a few games, but he just looks lost out there, always second to the ball. He has the speed to play on a wing or even in the middle as a break away type to clear the ball. Just no creativity in this coaching.

WCE posters in total denial about umpires dragging them back into games, gifting them goals and still trying to troll opposition posters a week later. Who would have thought?
I think every man, woman and child on Big Footy knows they have form for this type of behaviour!

That's not correct. The players had completed disposal prior to the infringement. Both should have been downfield frees and Carlton's simply should not have been as the ball was kicked out on the full.

No, that's not the rules.

The AFL Rules state that if the ball is kicked OOB and a free kick is awarded before that happened, the Free kick is to be taken from where the infringement happened (where Docherty was hit), OR where the ball crossed the line, whichever is the greater penalty.

So the decision was correct other than the fact Gibbons should have taken the kick.

Stupid by Brayshaw but that downfield should have been 15m back where it went out on the full.
Magnificent kick by Newnes, one of the best after siren kicks you will see.

Should have put Fyfe and Walters in the middle at the same time. Put Tabener deep and maybe Mundy in there as a second option. Could have even thrown Frederick up in the middle.. I know he's only played a few games, but he just looks lost out there, always second to the ball. He has the speed to play on a wing or even in the middle as a break away type to clear the ball. Just no creativity in this coaching.
Really don’t think Fyfe and Walters are fit enough.

Both coming back from injuries.

Back