Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 17 - Cats v Tigers Fri September 11th 7:50pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

CCDB9A69-A6A2-4307-97C4-BDF5E6ACD1AE.png
3RD V 4TH

2020 TOYOTA AFL PREMIERSHIP

Round 17 • GEELONG V RICHMOND
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 11TH 7:50PM AEST (METRICON)

Tipping on BigFooty's own system.
Tip now - $1000 in cash prizes.

Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won.

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

ROUND 17 TEAMS

CATS

B: J.Kolodjashnij, L.Henderson, H.Taylor
HB: J.Henry, M.Blicavs T.Stewart
C: Z.Tuohy, P.Dangerfield, S.Menegola
HF: L.Dahlhaus, G.Rohan, T.Atkins
F: J.Bews, T.Hawkins, G.Miers
FOLL: E.Ratugolea, C.Guthrie, B.Parfitt

I/C: M.O’Connor, M.Duncan, L.Fogarty, B.Close
EMER: B.Jarvis, J.Jenkins, Z.Guthrie, Q.Narkle

IN: Z.Tuohy, E.Ratugolea
OUT: J.Jenkins (Omitted), Z.Guthrie (Omitted)

TIGERS

B: B.Houli, D.Grimes, N.Balta
HB: J.Short, N.Vlastuin, O.Markov
C: K.McIntosh, J.Graham, M.Pickett
HF: J.Aarts, K.Lambert, T.Lynch
F: J.Riewoldt, D.Martin, J.Castagna
FOLL: I.Soldo, S.Bolton, T.Cotchin

I/C: L.Baker, T.Nankervis, D.Rioli, J.Ross
EMG: M.Chol, R.Collier-Dawkins, N.Broad, J.Higgins

IN: D.Grimes, K.Lambert, J.Ross
OUT: N.Broad (Omitted), J.Higgins (Omitted), T.Dow (Omitted)

Live commentary - Richmond vs West Coast
Michaels and The Tigercast Crew are calling Round 17 LIVE!
To listen in click this link at around 7:30pm TONIGHT

16029A02-89C2-4E16-9800-CB0C81B0FC06.jpeg

GEELONG 4.7.31
RICHMOND 7.15.57

Last edited:

Cracking game, biggest concern for me is the Hawkins match up, with Astbury out it's going to be a huge test for Balta matching up on the best KPF of the season. If we can stop Hawkins getting off the chain I think Tigers can win.

even if it does get off the chain you can still win, you match up well to the rest of our forwards

Good test for both sides, think we are a huge chance but Richmond are class and are definitely one side who know how to lift when they need to.

gonna be hard playing away from our cheat ground and potentially in the wet, based on some of the tigers fans diatribe I’ve read recently.
Cats are terrible in the wet 🤔

I know we give up a number but we can’t lose the clearances to the extent we did last week or we’re cooked. Richmond need a good ruck showing to take away the easy clearances at least. Need a fair few things to go right, really. Cats by 15 in the wet

Good test for both sides, think we are a huge chance but Richmond are class and are definitely one side who know how to lift when they need to.

gonna be hard playing away from our cheat ground and potentially in the wet, based on some of the tigers fans diatribe I’ve read recently.
Personally, I think Geelong comfortably. And you should win the flag from here. Best depth in the middle with the least amount of injury concerns of the sides up the top.

Two of our starting mids missing I think will be too much to cover. If we had Prestia and Edwards, I'd give us a much better chance. Yes, I know you're missing Selwood and Ablett. But on balance, they're older and more "cream om top" now. You'd def get a little better with them in, but I think we lose more with our outs.

Hawkins has had the best season I can remember him having, he could easily win the MVP, been outstanding. Dangerfield has got laser focus right now. And to my eyes, the difference in Geelong is, as I said, the mid depth. Menegola and Guthrie both playing excellent, but more importantly consistent football, means you don't know where to look these days.

I know we give up a number but we can’t lose the clearances to the extent we did last week or we’re cooked. Richmond need a good ruck showing to take away the easy clearances at least. Need a fair few things to go right, really. Cats by 15 in the wet

Yes a key to Geelong's form and our tall defender and generally big and tall side working is that we have fairly well obliterated our last few opponents in the middle and clearances (except for 1st quarter v Dogs). Concede clearances to us and will be very hard for you to score.

Yes a key to Geelong's form and our tall defender and generally big and tall side working is that we have fairly well obliterated our last few opponents in the middle and clearances (except for 1st quarter v Dogs). Concede clearances to us and will be very hard for you to score.
Yeah it’s the possession after the clearance that worries me. If it’s an easy clearance and the next Cat in the chain has minimal pressure then not only will you guys get a clean entry, it also takes away our turnover game. I think to have a chance we’d need guys like Bolton and Graham to play their best games of the season.

Menegola and Guthrie both playing excellent, but more importantly consistent football, means you don't know where to look these days.

These two have been a key to this year. They have also been two that especially have not handled Richmond's ability to pour on the pressure in the past. Big test for them this week and in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't a big part of your success been (not deliberately) losing clearances but applying extreme pressure to the ball carrier that you force the turnover and rebound from there?

On form would say the cats but Richmond seem to be just playing at the level of their opposition, they will need to raise the bar to beat the cats imo but they are certainly capable of doing just that.

As has been said, we would have to improve again on the West Coast game to win, can be done but Geelong have the obvious form advantage and should rightly be considered favourites.

If we meet again in a PF or GF I'd be much more confident as it would mean we were coming off 4-5 weeks of really good form.

Hopefully its a cracking game but can see Geelong dominating the clearances and having the composure and skills to get the chocolates over a brave Richmond.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Saints beat WC and both teams are effectively guaranteed top 4, I would imagine we wouldn't rush our guys who are borderline back for this game is that's the case.

Hasn't a big part of your success been (not deliberately) losing clearances but applying extreme pressure to the ball carrier that you force the turnover and rebound from there?

On form would say the cats but Richmond seem to be just playing at the level of their opposition, they will need to raise the bar to beat the cats imo but they are certainly capable of doing just that.

We try and pressure the post clearance possession, make that guy kick or handball under pressure and try to intercept from there, we can then spread as teams' natural instincts once their teammates have the ball is not to move into defensive positions.

Can be frustrating as a supporter, but obviously works. Issue can be if teams are super clean around clearances, or we are just slightly off and cant put on required pressure then teams can get on top of us and tend to win comfortably. Most of our losses are by that 30-40 point margin and we are never really in the game.

Opposite happens too, where once we are in the game we almost never lose, cant even remember the last time we were up at HT and lost, would be only a couple of times I reckon in the last 2 and a half years.

The key to the game in my opinion is Richmonds pressure - thats what most of their opponents cant handle - the past 4 years

Its only one game - but if i hadnt have watched the Rich v Freo game - then i would have tipped the Tigers to beat the Cats by about 4 goals - Geel have been playing well - but Pt Ade StK and Ess brought no pressure whatsover - really they were pathetic opposition on the day . And Geel have got good skill - so if there is limited pressure then they will flog you

That Freo game Matty Primus on the radio at h/time said - im watching the Rich players walk off the ground - 9 or 10 of them have got their hands on their knees - they are physically bugggered - thats what he said . So maybe the condensed schedule had got to them - however theve had a 9 day break for this game - so youd think they would come out with alot more energy - so maybe you ignore the Fremantle game - they were ordinary in that game - especially the 1st 3 qtrs

Agree with an earlier poster - if Saints beat Eagles -then that takes the sting or importance right out of the game - and from a Geel perspective - Gary Rohan theyd rest - Sellwood they will give him another week off - anyone borderline they will rest

The key to the game in my opinion is Richmonds pressure - thats what most of their opponents cant handle - the past 4 years

Its only one game - but if i hadnt have watched the Rich v Freo game - then i would have tipped the Tigers to beat the Cats by about 4 goals - Geel have been playing well - but Pt Ade StK and Ess brought no pressure whatsover - really they were pathetic opposition on the day . And Geel have got good skill - so if there is limited pressure then they will flog you

That Freo game Matty Primus on the radio at h/time said - im watching the Rich players walk off the ground - 9 or 10 of them have got their hands on their knees - they are physically bugggered - thats what he said . So maybe the condensed schedule had got to them - however theve had a 9 day break for this game - so youd think they would come out with alot more energy - so maybe you ignore the Fremantle game - they were ordinary in that game - especially the 1st 3 qtrs

Agree with an earlier poster - if Saints beat Eagles -then that takes the sting or importance right out of the game - and from a Geel perspective - Gary Rohan theyd rest - Sellwood they will give him another week off - anyone borderline they will rest
It's not uncommon for us to do just enough against the teams in the bottom half of the ladder (GC, Essendon, Freo etc.). We flicked the switch V eagles and Lions when we needed to though. Struggled a bit V Port but they were on fire and at home.

To be honest I'd prefer we weren't coming off a 9 day break, we tend to come out sluggish after a big break.

Grimes and Lambert confirmed ins will help.

Going to be wet so I doubt it.

Hope Grimes can get up.
Bit worried about Grimes, I reckon he might be pushed a little to get up because this is a must win game for top 4, whereas the usual Richmond conservative approach might be to give him another week.

This has been an interesting part of Richmond's great era the last few years, you look at games against teams like Sydney, Freo, Gold Coast, Essendon, and everyone thinks Richmond are s**t and are no chance for the flag because we struggle to score and don't look great, then all of a sudden we play Bulldogs, Lions, Eagles and step up to beat the decent teams by 41, 41 and 27 points, scoring well in each of those games.

We all know they are capable, but can we keep relying on our team stepping up when it matters in the weeks that count? Every now and then it's going to come undone in a big game, and the Cats arguably the best team in the comp right now certainly have the tools to beat us as much as we do to beat them. Probably is the game of the year considering stakes, teams, and hype leading into it.

Guess we both want Saints to beat Eagles, if that's the case if my maths is correct, both Rich and Geel are a lock for top 4, confidently assuming the Tiges beat Crows next week and Cats would beat Swans. That would certainly lessen the stakes for this game though, I'd be much less concerned and wouldn't be as buzzed.

Yeah exactly. As I mentioned in a post above, for us to implement that pressure, though, we need the clearance won by the oppo to not be too clean. If your ruckman puts it down the throats of guys like Danger, and you also have the extra number around the contest, you will get away too cleanly, and be more able to hit up the next target, and then we're in big trouble. We don't need to win the clearances but we need to make them messy and contested so that we can put pressure on the guy winning the contest, and then, more importantly, on the next guy in the chain.

Back