Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 18 - Swans v Cats Sun September 20th 3:35pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

But it is legal so what’s the problem? It’s never been something that’s been policed

Sigh... it is legal if it is part of a legitimate attempt at a mark.

You can't do it to clear space, LAND back on the ground & then mark it.

So don't write obituaries for a proper high mark just yet.

He only runs when he has the ball. He is extremely lazy in defence and there was a mark he missed near the boundary line where he completely gave up and lay on the ground while the Swans player collected the ball without pressure

I am all for bagging Gary Rohan but that play he ran himself to exhaustion which is why he crashed.

Sigh... it is legal if it is part of a legitimate attempt at a mark.

You can't do it to clear space, LAND back on the ground & then mark it.

So don't write obituaries for a proper high mark just yet.

he doesn’t sit there with an atomic clock knowing the exact second the ball is going to drop.

yes he does it to clear space but I very much doubt he also thinks ‘I’ll jump, knee him in the head, get him out of the way, land, steady, and mark.’

it’s just a simple attempt to take a mark and keep his space at the same time

Geelong ALWAYS win the close games!
It can't be luck, surely.

We've been so good so long, that's why. Statistics and probability.

Imagine, for the sake of argument, that because of our skill we are on average a 3 goal better side than other teams.

Now, every game is going to have some scatter around that mean 3 goal margin. One goal either way is going to be more common than two goals either way; that is, we're more likely to win by two or four goals than by one or five goals. More likely to win by a goal than to break even.

That's why we have a better chance of winning by a couple of points than losing by a couple of points. The same seems to be true of every team that's been successful for a prolonged period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather play the Cats if I were Port. Yes, Geelong might hit top gear in finals and if they do, look out, but their form the past two rounds haven't been great, and historically they're awful after the bye. The Tigers, on the other hand, could beat anyone, anywhere, barring West Coast in Perth imo.

he doesn’t sit there with an atomic clock knowing the exact second the ball is going to drop.

yes he does it to clear space but I very much doubt he also thinks ‘I’ll jump, knee him in the head, get him out of the way, land, steady, and mark.’

it’s just a simple attempt to take a mark and keep his space at the same time

But him landing before marking makes it an unrealistic attempt. He didn't get his hands on the ball whilst in the air which would have made it a mark.

Back