Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 7 - Cats v Magpies Thurs July 16th 8:10pm AEST (Optus) (Video highlights in OP)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires rorting this match for Collingwood.

I wish Richmond got frees like this.

I wish my club had been kissed on the peter by the injury fairy during the past three years. Please don't mention your current hiccup. Same last year. Everyone up and running and in fine fettle in time for the finals. Hilarious too that you come up against two of the poorest, most undermanned teams during your little injury/unavailable hiatus. Endless good luck. But you won't find me complaining. ;)

Collingwood vs Richmond
Collingwood vs Hawthorn

^^ both were equally terrible.

You are kidding? Did you watch Sydney vs Richmond last week? Every game Hawthorn have been in has been unwatchable these past few weeks. Stop being bitter cause we cut your mob to shreds.
You'd think you'd be used to the more defensive style of footy after all those years of slowly strangling sides to death under your charismatic coach Ross Lyon.

You didn't watch your team play Sydney last week? The two opposing coaches were disgusted and in total agreement on the putrid nature of the game. Tonight was a veritable extravaganza of scoring, high marks and wonderful, fluid ball movement by comparison.
no argument there!!

Every game i've watched the last few years involving Collingwood they seem to dominate the free kick count. Has anyone got any statistics on the past couple of years? it's like they've got another man out there in most games i watch involving them.
Dream on!

They got caught a lot holding the ball. Was it fair? Look at the difference the two teams play.. Collingwood flick it around quick and fast... which is why they aren't caught holding the ball. they usually a small swarm around those congested areas and quick fire out about 4 or 5 handballs and a clearing kick. The way I saw Geelong play is that they are more the traditional hold onto the ball style and take the tackle. IMO at the start of the season, those free kicks paid to Collingwood for HTB would have been a ball up, but maybe Clarkson's comments changed it? Because the past few weeks HTB looks to have increased.

So I don't know if it was favoring Collingwood in a 'umpires pets' way, but more so that Collingwood's game plan of fast passing out of congestion is more suited to an increased focus on HTB than Geelong's "try to bust the tackle" and if fail go for the ball up style.
Yep I think the HTB interpretation change 2 weeks ago has been the difference in Collingwood getting more frees than their opposition.
F522B223-10DC-48CA-BB57-5D122088D9DD.jpeg

I missed the game but wanted to know if the free count was instrumental in the result/the run of play at key stages, etc. or just a side story? And do Geelong look like they may struggle with a series of games away from their home turf and if they sneak into the top four but do little to nothing, again?

Collingwood better team from start to finish.
Credit where credit is due- stop blaming the umps!

How come there were only 22k there?

There were only 28k tickets for sale. And they only just went on sale on Tuesday. You had to google around to find his to purchase them funnily enough, no access to tickets from the AFL site like there normally is
Also it was raining and early on a Thursday night.
The timeslot ain't great for ppl to make it to the game, 6pm Perth time - I went with 6 mates but had a others who couldn't come cos couldn't get there in time after work.

That said it may interest you that the majority of the crowd were Collingwood and Geelong supporters, I was expecting a few more neutrals than there was.

Last edited:
I missed the game but wanted to know if the free count was instrumental in the result/the run of play at key stages, etc. or just a side story? And do Geelong look like they may struggle with a series of games away from their home turf and if they sneak into the top four but do little to nothing, again?
Just a side story that Seven have pedalled our to generate chatter. Collingwood were first to the ball all night, controlled majority of possession and also dominated tackle count and pressure statistics. Geelong weren’t going to win free kicks if they don’t have the ball and aren’t working hard enough to get it back.

The count may have helped us, the umps could have given us some momentum, but it never really felt we were the better side anyway.
Weren’t good enough tonight.

Also playing interstate mostly neutral games isn’t going to hurt us. We are used to not having a home ground advantage even when we are the home side. We beat everyone’s favourite Brisbane last week also.
Last year we were 3 games clear on top halfway through the year with our only loss being a home one. We cruised from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just because he's been charged doesn't make him guilty.
I was of the understanding that when out on bail it’s not the norm to be allowed to travel. As others have said though, he is not likely to take off anywhere.

It’s only fair that he continues his employment. Im not a fan of the NRL system where players are stopped from playing while allegations are investigated.

Surely even Collingwood supporters hate watching their own team at this point? Nathan Buckley has turned you guys into a more boring side than Ross Lyons Freo. Get an early lead then just sit there and strangle the opposition into submission. Is winning football worth it if it’s destroying the image of the game overall?

Cat fans will be understandably annoyed at:
-Umpiring - it was less than generous most of the night but reached a level of incredulous oversight in Q4 when Cats were on the march and had a series of breaches against them ignored.

- Coaching: Cats were constrained all game by a bizarre gameplane from their shrill and emotional coach, Chris Scott, formally a small toothed crude defender misplaced in a team of photogenic and brilliant individuals that, despite Scott, achieved great success earlier this millennia.

Scott currently seems equally misplaced, burdening his charges with a cramping one dimensional gameplan that sucks gusto and verve out of the players. The freedom to play was throttled by a negative game plan of sophist ball movement on a wet night when getting it down there should have been the mantra.

Scott achieved renown in recent years for blaming fixtures, weather, and AFL rules interpretations for his teams inability to win big games at the pointy end. His lack of willingness to take responsibility for failures has been likened to a toddler in a sand pit. It is likely the umpiring will have him seething this week while he ignores his own shortcomings and trims his greying beard.

Umpires shocking and Collingwood seemed to have all the important decisions going there way.

They were still the much better team. Just cleaner with the ball and transitioned the ball quickly. I think we were lucky to only lose by 4 goals

Every game i've watched the last few years involving Collingwood they seem to dominate the free kick count. Has anyone got any statistics on the past couple of years? it's like they've got another man out there in most games i watch involving them.
No I don’t. But if I was considering posting speculative crap like your post I’d consider doing some research first.

Yep I think the HTB interpretation change 2 weeks ago has been the difference in Collingwood getting more frees than their opposition.
View attachment 913560
We’ve played 210 games since the start of 2012. In those 210 games we have had 301 more frees than the opposition.
That’s 1.44 extra frees a game than our opponents over 200 games.
Or 0.36 extra frees per quarter

1 more free per game over 9 seasons.

It’s a conspiracy I tell ya!!

More likely, it's your bias that makes you see things that aren't really there. Also the fact that Collingwood has beaten Essendon on ANZAC Day in 11 of the last 14 games makes you consciously, unconsciously and subconsciously despise Collingwood and therefore you see any free paid to Collingwood as incorrect and you see a lot of potentially frees not being paid to the opposition.

You're not alone, we all have this bias.

Geelong tried to throw everything at them in the 1st 8 minutes of the last, Collingwood received 6-8 frees in that time to Cats 0, Cats weren't allowed to build any kind of momentum, most definitely had an impact on the final margin.

Fwiw Collingwood did look the better team but not head and shoulders better

We’ve played 210 games since the start of 2012. In those 210 games we have had 301 more frees than the opposition.
That’s 1.44 extra frees a game than our opponents over 200 games.
Or 0.36 extra frees per quarter

1 more free per game over 9 seasons.

It’s a conspiracy I tell ya!!
lol. I'd like to see the data on video referals next!

Cat fans will be understandably annoyed at:
-Umpiring - it was less than generous most of the night but reached a level of incredulous oversight in Q4 when Cats were on the march and had a series of breaches against them ignored.

- Coaching: Cats were constrained all game by a bizarre gameplane from their shrill and emotional coach, Chris Scott, formally a small toothed crude defender misplaced in a team of photogenic and brilliant individuals that, despite Scott, achieved great success earlier this millennia.

Scott currently seems equally misplaced, burdening his charges with a cramping one dimensional gameplan that sucks gusto and verve out of the players. The freedom to play was throttled by a negative game plan of sophist ball movement on a wet night when getting it down there should have been the mantra.

Scott achieved renown in recent years for blaming fixtures, weather, and AFL rules interpretations for his teams inability to win big games at the pointy end. His lack of willingness to take responsibility for failures has been likened to a toddler in a sand pit. It is likely the umpiring will have him seething this week while he ignores his own shortcomings and trims his greying beard.

You mean Geelong got a couple of frees late to even the ledger a bit?

At one stage the free kick count was about 21 to 7 and 4 of those 7 were out on the full free kicks.

Collingwood much cleaner all night. The final margin flatters Geelong.

Back