Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 7 - Cats v Magpies Thurs July 16th 8:10pm AEST (Optus) (Video highlights in OP)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

so who’s fault is it for gerlong’s two out on the fulls? The umps? And what specifically were the 4 dodgy frees pies got?

Look I don’t like Collingwood anymore than the next oppo fan, but they were the better side all night & kicked away anytime you got close. They were cleaner & harder for longer.

Move on.

gerlong...

wow

from memory a couple of your 5 goals came from soft frees?

I think I saw 4 of our goals (missed the first) but don’t remember any of those four coming from a free.
I don’t think any of yours did either for that matter, but just to give a couple of obvious examples of when some 50-50 calls hurt us - de goey literally picked the ball off Blicavs’ back and was paid a mark. At the other end Rohan was basically molested trying to take a mark 25 out from goal and didn’t get squat.

Collingwood were the better side, no problem admitting that. If we stole that game it would have been pure burglary. But that was about as uneven a performance from the whistle blowers that I can remember

Surely even Collingwood supporters hate watching their own team at this point? Nathan Buckley has turned you guys into a more boring side than Ross Lyons Freo. Get an early lead then just sit there and strangle the opposition into submission. Is winning football worth it if it’s destroying the image of the game overall?
Yes. It is very frustrating to watch and I think it is dangerous because we often dominate but never hold a big enough lead to feel safe if momentum shifts.

Yes. It is very frustrating to watch and I think it is dangerous because we often dominate but never hold a big enough lead to feel safe if momentum shifts.

the downside of being a defensively based side. There will come a point - it does for geelong every year - where a side will work it out and put scoreboard pressure on and the need for a sustained attacking burst arises and the side won’t be able to do it. Though the last 10 minutes from your guys last night had some good signs that they do have another gear when they get it righT

De Goey’s marks would have paid to anybody at any club, particularly the last one that bounced off Blicavs’ back. The umpire was obviously blindsided and would pay that 10 times out of 10, as would any neutral. Just because it’s Collingwood who benefitted from it, doesn’t mean you have to spit the dummy.

Furthermore it’s 2020 and people still don’t know that on the full free kicks do not count toward the ledger. Given how many people eye the free kick count all night without caring about context, it’s really common knowledge at this point.

De Goey’s marks would have paid to anybody at any club, particularly the last one that bounced off Blicavs’ back. The umpire was obviously blindsided and would pay that 10 times out of 10, as would any neutral. Just because it’s Collingwood who benefitted from it, doesn’t mean you have to spit the dummy.

Furthermore it’s 2020 and people still don’t know that on the full free kicks do not count toward the ledger. Given how many people eye the free kick count all night without caring about context, it’s really common knowledge at this point.
It was a clear mark regardless of whether it made contact with his opponents back, just as when a player gets first hands on the pill and then his opponent has a touch in between the player retaking possession. If the original player grabs the final possession it is a mark.

no it wouldn’t. I can fully cop the marks you see 5 times a game where there’s 2-3 sets of hands all over the ball.

when my boss, a casual afl fan who leans to the swans, shows up to work and the second thing he says (after blowing up about the roosters) is ‘what about that mark de goey was paid near full time!!! You can probably safely say it was dodgy
I’m not a conspiracy theorist that thinks umpires walk out there deliberately to favour one side, I just saw last night as fairly inept.

It was a clear mark regardless of whether it made contact with his opponents back, just as when a player gets first hands on the pill and then his opponent has a touch in between the player retaking possession. If the original player grabs the final possession it is a mark.

not when it gets dropped and rolls down his back.

Many 50-50s I can understand you defending but that is laughable.

Last edited:
no it wouldn’t. I can fully cop the marks you see 5 times a game where there’s 2-3 sets of hands all over the ball.

when my boss, a casual afl fan who leans to the swans, shows up to work and the second thing he says (after blowing up about the roosters) is ‘what about that mark de goey was paid near full time!!! You can probably safely say it was dodgy
I’m not a conspiracy theorist that thinks umpires walk out there deliberately to favour one side, I just saw last night as fairly inept.
so you mentioned about 500 times. But not why you lost of course :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so you mentioned about 500 times. But not why you lost of course :)

yes my 3 posts about it have been very stressful to read I’m sure.

as mentioned previously and obviously just ignored because you only see what you want to see, we were outplayed and collingwood’s ability to find a spare man when the contest was at its fiercest, and to show more composure with the ball, was the difference

Cats fans melting over the free kick count is glorious
No one says the free kick count should be even
Cats lost inside 50s, marks, contested and uncontested possessions, handballs, kicks, and the scoreboard.
Pies were robbed a few frees, a few incorrect disposal calls missed
Oh yeah and Cats also lost salty tears

Cats lost inside 50s, marks, contested and uncontested possessions, handballs, kicks, and the scoreboard.

no it shouldn’t be. The adjudicating should be equal though, and last night it wasn’t. Dispute it all you want. Doesn’t change it.

I haven’t read a single cats fan Posting that the result was because of umpiring. To a man we’ve all said we were beaten by a better side.

but arguing that the umpiring was the same for both sides is not an argument you’re going to win, evidenced by the colossal amount of neutral posters who’ve made the same observation

Believe what you want

no it shouldn’t be. The adjudicating should be equal though, and last night it wasn’t. Dispute it all you want. Doesn’t change it.

I haven’t read a single cats fan Posting that the result was because of umpiring. To a man we’ve all said we were beaten by a better side

but arguing that the umpiring was the same for both sides is not an argument you’re going to win, evidenced by the colossal amount of neutral posters who’ve made the same observation

Those stats were only until the end of last season although the trend hasn’t changed this year. The fact remains certain clubs ie Collingwood, Eagles, Dogs receive more frees than their opponents each week. Nothing to do with game style as I’d imagine your game style has changed a few times since 2012. So you have received a positive differential over 309 and a team such as Richmond has a negative differential of 121. So really that’s a 429 free kick difference, you don’t think that has influenced some decisions in some games? Anyway at least the Eagles and Dogs were good enough to take advantage of their lopsided free kick advantage with a flag each, the pies not so much.
I take it you failed Maths at school.
A 429 differential in free kicks over 210 games equates to 2 free kicks a game.
You are banging on about 2 free kicks per game.
Eg 28 frees to 26 or 33 frees to 31.
Good grief.
Find another hobby.

I take it you failed Maths at school.
A 429 differential in free kicks over 210 games equates to 2 free kicks a game.
You are banging on about 2 free kicks per game.
Eg 28 frees to 26 or 33 frees to 31.
Good grief.
Find another hobby.
Yes if you average it exactly over each game but obviously some games where you got smacked you would have lost the free kick count so in games won that average increases quite a bit. You don’t think being on top of free kick differential year after year makes a difference?

Well that’s not true you got a gift in the second quarter when Miers had about 0.00000001 of a second 20 metres out from goal to get rid of it.
That was an absolute joke call. I have no issues with this, but at least call it consistently across the board FFS

Yes if you average it exactly over each game but obviously some games where you got smacked you would have lost the free kick count so in games won that average increases quite a bit. You don’t think being on top of free kick differential year after year makes a difference?
Lol wtf are you even talking about now?

No-one needs free kick count to be even, just interpretations to be even. They weren’t and the unusual thing was, it happened for the whole night - these things normally even out; it didn’t and stood out like dog’s balls

all you had to do was watch. Most of the contest around the ball was quite even, magpies were cleaner and able to find the spare man more often than not. Cats tried to scrap but weren’t clean with the ball and never seemed to have a spare player with time to use the ball.

Then the contest wasn't even then was it.

Back