Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 8 - Eagles v Magpies Sun July 26th 3:35pm (OPTUS) Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

34B52B0F-8645-4D2B-82CD-B61576CB7F45.png

2020 TOYOTA AFL PREMIERSHIP
Round 8 • WEST COAST EAGLES V COLLINGWOOD
SUNDAY JULY 26TH 3:35PM AEST (OPTUS OVAL)

Tipping on BigFooty's own system.
Tip now - $1000 in cash prizes.

Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won.

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

ROUND 8 TEAMS

EAGLES

B: B.Sheppard, T.Barrass, S.Hurn
HB: L.Duggan, J.McGovern, T.Cole
C: J.Redden, E.Yeo, A.Gaff
HF: J.Cripps, J.Darling, D.Sheed
F: J.Waterman, J.Kennedy, L.Ryan
FOLL: N.Naitanui, T.Kelly, L.Shuey
I/C: O.Allen, J.Nelson, B.Williams, B.Ainsworth, J.Rotham, J.Cameron, H.Edwards, N.Reid

IN: Shuey, Williams, Rotham, Edwards, Reid
OUT: Ah Chee (injured)

MAGPIES

B: J.Crisp, J.Roughead, I.Quaynor
HB: B.Maynard, D.Moore, J.Noble
C: T.Phillips, S.Pendlebury, C.Mayne
HF: J.Stephenson, B.Mihocek, C.Brown
F: J.Daicos, W.Hoskin-Elliott, J.Elliott
FOLL: B.Grundy, T.Adams, A.Treloar
I/C: J.Thomas, R.Wills, M.Scharenberg, B.Reid, A.Bosenavulagi, J.Madgen, D.Cameron

IN: Thomas, Scharenberg, Reid, Sier, Madgen, Cameron
OUT: Varcoe, De Goey (both injured)

Last edited:

Gonna come down to who's game style comes out on top, the home team are a kick mark team with surgical precision.

The away team like to suffocate the opposition and quell the opps scoring power, last week they beat up the cats around the ball - literally. They reduced the highest scoring team of the comp so far this year (if I am correct) to just 5 majors.

I don't know how long the away team can get away with not kicking a score themselves. When you're literally dictating play between the arcs, not to mention an extra 15 i50's you should be kicking 100 pts (46 entries).

The upside (or where the improvement will come from) is with that ball dominance, IF they can take advantage of it and use those i50's better we are genuinely looking at a flag contender. Not until they improve in this area though.

The home team have a far far superior list and certainly more scoring power, it's how they handle the oppositions well known suffocation that will be the deciding factor.

If they get beaten up around the ball like most opps this year to the Pies it's gonna make it hard to get up, but the ace in WC's deck from a game style pov is that they have a history of defeating pressure game and still have that look of silky transition. Seriously this team is that good that you don't even realise it by watching them play.

This however will require an immediate improvement in form closer to potential.

I tipped the Pies in this poll, purely coz of wishful thinking though. The head says the home team by a fair bit, purely coz their opp can't score and they can score when it's hot in the kitchen.

all it takes is a pies player to bob up and kick say 3 and its job done. Need a couple of forwards to play a cameo performance.

The reason the pies is that they have not done anything terribly wrong this year. They have injury to Howe and JDG sure but they have the capabiltiy to cover both. All it needs is a bit of improvisation. Also they have had a tough draw too. Only downer was v essendon apart from that pretty good. They need to tinker with the forward line and thats about it. Plus pies have much improvement to come too and i feel have not even hit their straps yet. To me they are a very much still a developing improving side and are looking at the long term not just this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see us beating eagles at home without Howe, degoey and sidey. All absoulte stars and impossible to replace.

hopeful but eagles at home missing those cogs gonna be an uphill battle.

Collingwood defense = WC defense (Collingwood would be ahead if Howe was in)
WC forwards > Collingwood forwards

Will come down to the midfield battle likely. I think WC can win by losing the mid battle by a little bit due to a superior forward line but if either team pumps the other in midfield they will win.

Pies are adapting well regarding the Howe injury they will do the same with the JDG injury too. Dont forget Sidy is back next week too. Pies to get the job done.

WC supporters, not sure where all this "should be a close game", "hopeful" rubbish is coming from.

WC at a canter and at worst a lazy 3 goal win given the Wobbles have been kicked in the nuts by injuries to stars, WC at near full strength, WC been home for a couple of weeks and NN coming off a game where he has been out on the ground long enough to cast a shadow.

1595576256474.png

WC supporters, not sure where all this "should be a close game", "hopeful" rubbish is coming from.

WC at a canter and at worst a lazy 3 goal win given the Wobbles have been kicked in the nuts by injuries to stars, WC at near full strength, WC been home for a couple of weeks and NN coming off a game where he has been out on the ground long enough to cast a shadow.

Wish I had your confidence.

The reason we're down on the team is because against sides likely to finish in the Top 8 we have been f*cken woeful. We've beaten up on Adelaide, Sydney and Freo, and beat Melbourne before they looked halfway decent.

If the Pies play contested footy then we'll likely cave. We only win if we get to play the game we want to play it.

Wish I had your confidence.

The reason we're down on the team is because against sides likely to finish in the Top 8 we have been f*cken woeful. We've beaten up on Adelaide, Sydney and Freo, and beat Melbourne before they looked halfway decent.

If the Pies play contested footy then we'll likely cave. We only win if we get to play the game we want to play it.

View attachment 918455

The ace that WC have is their ability to hold up their transition game against pressure systems, that's how good they are - they can kick / mark through it all and look like there's no heat in the kitchen even when the gas is on high.

We've seen them over come Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne (when the dees brought that pressure) in the last two seasons.

In saying that their form would have to improve from last week to this week - dramatically to avoid being choked to death.

The Pies are literally beating up teams around the ball, their numbers last week against the cats were glaring, won every metric except clearances (-1, 1!). Going by those numbers they should've won by 8 goals not 4.

IF The Pies finally get some meaningful f50 entries they will score and score heavily. I have no doubt they have the capacity to hold WC to a less than usual score, no easy feat.

But if they are to win they'll need apply score board pressure, not just pressure around the ball.

Toss of the coin but you'd be brave to bet against WC, especially on their home deck, in front of their adoring fans. WC by about 3 goals IF they can improve their form.

Losing De Goey, Howe and Sidebottom hurts us a bit. I think West Coast are the more complete team, and therefore will most likely win.

The Eagles were not very impressive last week. They got the win, but looked a bit rough at times. But, I'm putting this down to an adjustment period of returning home after a long time away. This happens in the NBA a lot when teams go on 5 or 6 game roadtrips, they lose the first game back home. My theory is that they get into too much of a relaxed mindset, catching up with friends and family and relaxing in their own home, and don't have their mind on next week's game as much as they should. I think the Eagles will be better for it this week after getting those homecoming feels out of their system and back to business.

Back