Autopsy AFL 2021 2nd Preliminary Final - Port v Dogs Sat September 11th 7:40pm EST / 7:10pm CST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 60 33.0%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 24.2%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 42 23.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not the coach

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
The right result, Port were never a top 2 team, It took them half a year to even beat a team in the 8.
I expected the Bulldogs to win, But not in 20 minutes.
A home prelim effort like that will do permanent damage. Soft as butter.

footyfan1978

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
With the 2 week break ahead of the GF could this go against Melbourne? Only 1 game in almost a month.
Not an issue. Many teams have won a final to advance to grand final two weekends before the grand final, and not played the weekend before.
Seen my club do it three times.
1987 our captain kick goals after siren to make sure we finish on top of ladder.
Had a week off, won week two, had week three off and won the grand final easily over Hawks.

Probably a good omen for Demons as their captain has also kicked goal after siren to have them finish on top of ladder and they will also have had two weekends off during the finals series before they play in the grand final.

footyfan1978

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne's previous grand final win was in 1964.
Did not play the weekend before the grand final
Had only played one game in 27 days before the grand final win.

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This is going to be a very interesting GF. Gotta admire the way both Dees and Dogs have taken all before them.

These Dogs will be very hard to beat given they’ve demolished two in form teams (Bombers/Port) and overcome a rebounding Lions. The Dees read is a little harder given both wins have been against mentally scarred and scared apponents.

My money for what it’s worth is on the Dogs!!

Hazardinho

Senior List
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Man when Melbourne won their game, i was thinking surely that's the premiership done and dusted, but the way the bulldogs won was more impressive imo, this break is gonna be very bad for Melbourne, especially when they've just come off a break. I can see Bevo just using Schace as a defensive forward on lever and minimising his influence and with May not being at 100 %, Naughton could cause lots of problems. Now that Martin is back for the bulldogs, there midfield is gonna be so hard to get on top off, i feel Melbourne needs a perfect game to win, Oliver and Petracca are gonna have to be efficient from the opportunities they get from the ruck service to get the bulldogs under sized defence off guard, which is so hard to do when their midfield is probably one of best in AFL history, they're so stacked in every position and have so many weapons to carve you open, its stupid. Melbourne and Bulldogs i feel are so far ahead of everyone else, i can see them dominating the game for the next 6-7 years, and that's a testament to how well run their football clubs.

Black Saab

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Man when Melbourne won their game, i was thinking surely that's the premiership done and dusted, but the way the bulldogs won was more impressive imo, this break is gonna be very bad for Melbourne, especially when they've just come off a break. I can see Bevo just using Schace as a defensive forward on lever and minimising his influence and with May not being at 100 %, Naughton could cause lots of problems. Now that Martin is back for the bulldogs, there midfield is gonna be so hard to get on top off, i feel Melbourne needs a perfect game to win, Oliver and Petracca are gonna have to be efficient from the opportunities they get from the ruck service to get the bulldogs under sized defence off guard, which is so hard to do when their midfield is probably one of best in AFL history, they're so stacked in every position and have so many weapons to carve you open, its stupid. Melbourne and Bulldogs i feel are so far ahead of everyone else, i can see them dominating the game for the next 6-7 years, and that's a testament to how well run their football clubs.
I think Max Gawn will be a very different opponent to Lycett. Martin will need to back up all over the ground not just make a contest of it in the middle. Gawn gives Melbourne an undeniable advantage (at least on paper) at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hazardinho

Senior List
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Max Gawn will be a very different opponent to Lycett. Martin will need to back up all over the ground not just make a contest of it in the middle. Gawn gives Melbourne an undeniable advantage (at least on paper) at this stage.
Melbourne need to capitilse on his ruck work, and score goals from stoppages to give them the slight advantage on the scoreboard, as i can't see this game being a blow out, it will be under 30 points to the winner i'm 100 % sure.

Kangaroos4eva

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2012
QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
Melbourne need to capitilse on his ruck work, and score goals from stoppages to give them the slight advantage on the scoreboard, as i can't see this game being a blow out, it will be under 30 points to the winner i'm 100 % sure.
Both deep midfields, with the dogs have the deeper of the two, indicates it is going to be a tight contested tussle.

CarnTheScray

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who have Dogs beaten?

1. Dons (overachieving rebuild side full of kids)
  2. Injured, no forward hobbling Brissy by 1 point.
  3. Played 1 great half against a side in Port who were generally poor against sides above them throughout the year.
Ordinary when you actually pick it apart.

Melbourne will be a big reality check.
Who have Melbourne beaten?

1. A Brisbane team that plays ordinary outside the Gabba.
2. A cooked Geelong that didn’t even put in effort after the first quarter and have been notorious prelim chokers.

Ordinary when you actually pick it apart. (Ps Melbourne supporters I am obviously joking).

JackFlash

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2012
Docklands
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills, McLaren F1
And i thought Geelong were bad? Port at home after a week off with a BYE just went the "Hold My Beer" moment! We might've been "crook" but the Port nobodies stunk up the place!

footyfan1978

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Would have been perfect if Bruce hadn't gone RIP

Also deserves to be at a packed G

A bit devvo about that
We've known it won't be a the G for weeks now so just the weird circumstances of the time and make the most of it.
I'm just happy it has a crowd this season and a full length match as last year's finals were like a Clayton's Final Series, the finals you have when not really finals... Least this season is a fair dinkum finals series. Looking forward to it in the circumstances. Shame long time suffering Demon fans cannot be there in person but it is what it is. Still fun to be had watching your team winning grand final live on tv.

Thornton Melon

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Didn’t look at my phone for the whole game but let me guess how this thread played out.

Essendon and Sydney fans sooked about umpires until it became clear Port were just getting destroyed, so then they just started saying “oh well Melbourne are going to thrash you anyway.”

Love that we are in the heads of these supporters.
...so you're imagining what is in the heads of other people, and your imaginings prove that you are in their heads? :$

maddog37

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2008
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We would walk it out of defence and belt them by 15 goals if they did that. The reality is that we don't have any obvious deficiencies and bat pretty deep all over the ground. Assuming your idea was working for a while we would just send Marshall or Ladhams down which we have done (and they have done well) this year. We would pick a Georgiades or Clurey to reinforce either end. I'd back them in to have more impact then a completely cooked 34 year old, a guy who we don't know how badly he's injured (but clearly will be restricted and may get more sore as the game goes on) and their 3rd ruckman. If someone is going to be beat us, it will be the old fashioned way winning more positions across the ground, not by some parlor trick picking a bunch of spuds because they're tall.
Was that old fashioned enough for you?

Dogs_r_barking

Premiers 2016
Mar 2, 2007
Bellarine Peninsular
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melb Victory
That’s what happens when you finish first..
what a strange post
So you don’t think that Melbourne winning a premiership this year is the fairy tale the AFL want? Get used to it we got the whole gifted premiership from other supporters, mainly the Swan supporters.

The AFL could not have made it any harder for the Bulldogs, travel, quarantine, not allowed to train, not even allowed to order food for our players when the hotel ran out of sub-standard food. Regardless we are here.

emilybrown

Debutant
Dec 10, 2008
deerpark
AFL Club
Melbourne
So you don’t think that Melbourne winning a premiership this year is the fairy tale the AFL want? Get used to it we got the whole gifted premiership from other supporters, mainly the Swan supporters.

The AFL could not have made it any harder for the Bulldogs, travel, quarantine, not allowed to train, not even allowed to order food for our players when the hotel ran out of sub-standard food. Regardless we are here.
We finished first so we got to pick Adelaide.
Port came second and obviously played in Adelaide they were never having three games at that oval..
they were never having the first two weeks of finals in Perth so it was either in Adelaide or Brisbane depending if we won or lions won.. you had to play as the away team against the lions and port who could have a game in their state.. Melbourne couldn’t play home games at the G. so I’m unsure how we are theirs pets tucked away in Perth 😅 isn’t the whole not being able to train a government thing and not an AFL thing? I feel like you’re trying to make an excuse incase we win and that it was given to us. Both teams get a break it’s literally dead even now

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad