Autopsy AFL 2021 2nd Preliminary Final - Port v Dogs Sat September 11th 7:40pm EST / 7:10pm CST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 60 33.0%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 24.2%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 42 23.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs now the third team to make the GF outside the top 4, following the Dogs in 2016 and GWS in 2019.

It interesting that this has now happened 3 times in the last 6 seasons, when it never happened at all for the first 16 years of the current top 8 system (from 2000-2015).

Must be that pre finals bye...

PORT.jpg

Black Saab

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Stef Martin is such an underrated part of the dogs team. Not an a grader but just halves everything and allows a pure mid vs mid battle which favours the dogs depth big time. If he can just nullify Gawn it’ll be huge for the dogs.
Totally agree. He competed and played his role exceptionally well. It's the best the Dogs have looked in the ruck for the last month.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Second half paled in comparison to what the first half was.

Melbourne were at the same intensity for the entire match.
Do Melbourne want a medal for that?

It’s not like they’re getting a head start in the GF because of a higher score in the PF haha, margin means nothing in finals.

And Geelong were shocking. Ten times worse than Port.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stef Martin is such an underrated part of the dogs team. Not an a grader but just halves everything and allows a pure mid vs mid battle which favours the dogs depth big time. If he can just nullify Gawn it’ll be huge for the dogs.

Be interesting to see how he goes. He's traditionally struggled against Gawn in the ruck (as he does with most taller ruckman), but he's generally matched up well against him at ground level. Either way, he's got a far better shot than Young or English.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To be fair Port fans have been generally the highlight of this thread. The Sydney, Saints and Essendon fans, and the weird MagpieJo should be embarrassed.
Didn’t look at my phone for the whole game but let me guess how this thread played out.

Essendon and Sydney fans sooked about umpires until it became clear Port were just getting destroyed, so then they just started saying “oh well Melbourne are going to thrash you anyway.”

Love that we are in the heads of these supporters.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Be interesting to see how he goes. He's traditionally struggled against Gawn in the ruck (as he does with most taller ruckman), but he's generally matched up well against him at ground level. Either way, he's got a far better shot than Young or English.
I think you have to view it as Gawn and Jackson vs Martin and English. Without Martin it’s not pretty reading.

Dogs now the third team to make the GF outside the top 4, following the Dogs in 2016 and GWS in 2019.

It interesting that this has now happened 3 times in the last 6 seasons, when it never happened at all for the first 16 years of the current top 8 system (from 2000-2015).
It's because the comp has never been more even. Now that the expansion clubs have been weaned off their start up privileges, the difference between a good team and bad team is quite small. More generally, less games are required to make the 8 and fighting for positions goes all the way to the end of the season.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dogs are going to be hard. They absolutely dismembered Port tonight. They have certainly toughened up a lot I feel since the end of the home and away season. They seem to have lifted their contested efforts. Really going to be a hard game. We will have to play out of our skin to beat them. Leaning towards them right now just due to their depth in the midfield and ability to spread and cover so much ground.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you have to view it as Gawn and Jackson vs Martin and English. Without Martin it’s not pretty reading.
It’s your midfield and the depth I am worried about. Your spread and ball movement is pretty impressive. Clearly the medium sized forwards working again. Incredibly nervous. Unfortunately not a lot of faith in Melbourne.

Geelong and Port are awful. No test at all.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Dogs coaching staff should be watching the 2018 finals series. We had Lycett/Vardy going up against Grundy, Gawn, Grundy. Smashed in the hit outs in all 3 finals, won all 3 finals. Gawn and Grundy were both AA that year and didn't have much impact in those games. Martin has a real role to play that won't show up on the stat sheet.

greening22

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2008
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NEWCASTLE; JUVENTUS;
It’s your midfield and the depth I am worried about. Your spread and ball movement is pretty impressive. Clearly the medium sized forwards working again. Incredibly nervous. Unfortunately not a lot of faith in Melbourne.

Geelong and Port are awful. No test at all.
Perhaps if Port Adelaide had played in their so-called traditional PRISON STRIPED guernsey then they might have done better! Seriously, they are an absolute joke with numerous aging & non-performing finals players (Gray, Boak, Motlop, Dixon & others) & a coach who has been there 9 years & delivered nothing & tries to be a respected & wise & innovative & profound figure in the game. Where were the ground-breaking & game-changing moves coming from the Port Adelaide brains trust tonight. It is simply a sham that is only made worse by the erratic & inane & irrational outbursts of their "MORNING TV" president! Goodnight & goodluck.

Back